UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> When you shouldnt defend yourself?

8/27/02 9:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
casmarcos
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Aug-02

Listening to Tony´s audio tapes he mentioned that there are just a few situations when it is better to "try nothing" to defend yourself "physically" (or this is what I understand). I guess the most common attack nowadays at my city, are assaults with guns (or kidnaps with guns). So when I began teaching a course on Self Defense, I know the students are waiting from the beginning to learn "handgun disarms" techniques. And to be honest, all of us know that try to disarm a person is a very very high risky situation. Maybe one mistake and you are dead. What do you think are those situations when it is better to not defend yourself "pshysically" and what should you do instead?
8/27/02 10:48 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 27-Aug-02 11:11 AM
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
MArcos, you misunderstood what I said on the tape...I said there are only a couple of situations where I would not defend myself... Those situation are personal and private and they are examples of the depth that I've applied to scenario analysis and visualizing Murphy Moments. As for the gun question...there are three philopsophical options... The risk swings both ways... 1. Do nothing and you might be killed, but without giving it a shot (pardon the horrible pun!) 2. Do something and screw up. Get injured, get killed, cause someone elses injury, etc. 3. Do something and win. Odds are... Of course, skill & training can assist. Professional, moral & legal liability: a. There are many self-defense instructors who teach silly theatrical gun disarms in the martial arts world... b. There are many SD Instructors who think every gun scenario is a mugging andso use the 'give them your wallet' line .... c. There are many instructors who recommend running (not realizing that most bullets travel faster than most runners). d. There is a small group of instrcutors out there who have properly analyzed not just the gun disarm, but the arm that holding the gun and who its attached to, they have worked that linear equation into a behavioral approach that then included not just the physical technique but the sequential psychodynamics between predator & prey and then they have re-viewed that in context of the scenario. I'm not giving advice here, nor am I offering tactics, just pointing out some observations.... I know what I teach.... (my feellings, as always: teachers should only teach what they know). As to the last question, any situation where you decide its better to not defned yourself should be personal and not public. :-) Tony
9/1/02 9:09 PM
casmarcos

Edited: 01-Sep-02
Thank you Tony. As usual, your answer made me clarify my mind. In fact, I know when I wouldnt defend myself but people keeps asking for "given rules". Marcos

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.