UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Are there any criminologists here?

3/27/06 9:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
meow mix
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Mar-06

I'm working on research for a 20 page comparitive paper due in May. The topic is comparing the rates and types of trafficking in humans depending on age and gender and geography in the regions of Latin America, (Eastern) Europe, and Asia. The question that I'm posing to whoever can help me is what do you know about the rates of trafficking in these certain areas and what are the countries doing to help it? Also, if you have any suggestions for research and where I can find any of this information would be fabulous! I have searched the internet, and databases here at school for journals and books and feel that I have a good start but any further info would be great. Thanks!
4/23/06 2:14 PM
elder
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Apr-06
I'm a criminology minor (political science major) and am doing an independent study this summer on trafficking. You might want to check out the State Department's Trafficking in Person's Report and the Justice Department's Assessment of U.S. Government's Activities to Combat Trafficking Report. There are also a number of books that will help. "Human Traffic and Transnational Crime" (edited by Sally Stoecker and Louise Shelley) focuses a lot on Eastern Europe and Asian trafficking. "Sex Trafficking" by Kathryn Farr is a good overview of the sex trafficking industry with a lot of rates and such included.
4/24/06 3:57 AM
FightFan424

Edited: 24-Apr-06
ttt
4/24/06 10:28 PM
meow mix
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Apr-06
Cool. I've actually found the Trafficking in Humans Report and a great book that I found was the Handbook of Transnational Crime and Justice edited by Philip Reichel. What aspects are you focusing on?
8/15/06 2:53 AM
elder

Edited: 15-Aug-06
Hey... its been awhile, but I thought I'd reply anyway. My paper was more theoretical than the whole comparing rates approach you said you were taking. The main problem with comparing rates of trafficking is that there are so many different definitions of trafficking out there. One number you see may include the traditional deception/exploitation definition, while another figure may include that type plus other kinds of smuggling and illegal migration. My thesis basically argued that there are root causes that are present in every source country of trafficking, and that the U.S. needs to make addressing these root causes the #1 priority in their anti-trafficking policies. I'm actually finishing the paper up this week, its due for a grade on Thursday. I'll probably keep working on it though in the fall semester to make it publishable. If you're still interested (you said your project was due in May so you may not be) I might have some additional sources I can share with you that you might now have come across.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.