UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> XS Sights Demo

3/28/06 12:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Aaron Little
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Mar-06

I put this together for our Fighting Pistol DVD. The guys at XS Sights asked if they could use it on their website so I made a lower res version. Hope you enjoy it.

Click here to see the XS Sights Demo
4/5/06 7:52 PM
shovelhook

Edited: 05-Apr-06
A few years ago there was a company, Ashley outdoors I think, that had something very similar, is this the same company? I'm completely sold on them(soon as I pick something up to put them on). With or without tritium, I would go with, probably. I used to think these would not be as accurate (at distances where it would matter) as the traditional blade front, but figured it doesn't really matter and offered a huge increase in speed. Then I was reading in that section about adjusting point of aim to point of impact, while still being 'fixed' sights, low profile at that. I've always had fixed sight handguns (except Novaks that could be moved,on my 1911), and have been a horrible shot with pistol. I'd go thru 5 mags trying to figure out where I had to aim to hit what I want, fire a few shots then instinctively without thinking go right back to lining up the sights with where I wanted a hole. These sights sound like they should be on everyone's CCW or back up piece, but I think for me would perform better than factory sights at longer ranges. Lasermax and CTC changed my thinking about lasers a lot but if you gun isn't a good natural pointer and you've been automatically drawing your gun to eye level all along I don't see how a laser would be faster than these sights.
4/18/06 12:19 AM
Wilhelm

Edited: 18-Apr-06
Ya know I have XS big dots on my 1911 and dont do so well with them. I dunno if its the sights or the gun (I am not a 1911 guy). I wanna put them on my Elite but I am a little leary.
5/2/06 6:44 AM
shovelhook

Edited: 02-May-06
At longer distances or any? Do you find that you can pick them up a lot quicker than normal sights? One thing I like about them is the Lollypop sight picture, aligning vertically rather than horizontally like 3 dot systems. Anyone ever use those JP ghost ring sights for glocks? I can't decide if it's a good idea or bad, would have to try them I guess.
5/17/06 1:15 AM
Skpotamus
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-May-06
I tried out a set of XS big dot night sights on my glock 30. I left them on the gun for almost a year, and here are my thoughts on them: Pros: great night sights, Very durable very easy/fast to pick up day or night, at close ranges, 10 yards and in. Cons: While they were fast for sighted fire, at the ranges where they did the most for speed increase, I don't use my sights anyways. I tend to focus on the target and use my slide as a reference. At anything past 15 yards, my front sight was almost as wide as a B27 silhouette's body outline and covered almost the entire scoring area. The "combat hold" with my sight covering the target left me with a decent room for error at a little bit longer ranges. While I was able to keep shots on target with them, I definitely couldn't get into the Xring consistantly. The combat hold of covering my target with the sights lead to some problems while I was trying to use the sights. I kept shooting low with them at first, due to the sight picture I was used to (in no way a problem with the sights, it's a matter of comfort on my part). Later on, I got more comfortable with this, but found it definitely slower for me than standard 3 dot sight systems. The switching of aiming styles at different ranges can screw you up too. Covering your target for close shots and setting it on top of your front sight for longer shots is kind of a pain in the ass. At the end of the year, I realized I had taken my favorite gun and turned it into my least favorite and as a result, shot it a lot less. Overall, while they are good sights for some people, they definitely weren't for me. I sold them to a buddy who put them on his glock (and he likes them btw) and I went to a set of Truglo Fiber optic/Tritium sights. If you're used to standard 3 dot sights or the standard flat top style sights with the target resting on your front sight, then these aren't for you. I've only played with ghost ring sights on a gock once, a guy at the range had them on a glock 22 and he let me try them out. The whole point of a ghost ring is that the ring ghosts and you focus on your front sight. At arms length, ghost sights don't "ghost". I found myself using the slide as my point of reference for quick shooting, just like I did with the XS sights.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.