UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> What MA is Spear be classified as?

3/29/06 12:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Alex
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Mar-06

A friend and I were discussing the broad categories of martial arts, ie, Traditional Asian, WW2 Combatives, MMA, Functional JKD, etc. Where is Spear on the martial arts spectrum? My friend said it would be part of modern combatives. I thought maybe it should be considered a law enforcemment RBSD. Or are these the same thing?
3/30/06 11:38 PM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 30-Mar-06 11:46 PM
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Alex, interesting question. The SPEAR System is not a martial art (though it can be 'boxed' as one.) It is not a reality-based system by conventional standards, even though, our Ballistic Micro-fight model (original Panic Attack) laid the foundation for most contemporary scenario-based systems. The SPEAR is a system is the scientific study of the startle flinch mechanism that results during violent confrontations. We study how it afflicts performance and how to convert it into a protective or tactical option. We have used this research and the scientific formulae associated with our research to enhance SWAT training, Gunfighting, scenario training, self-defense, MMA and so on. In short, you can't put it in a category, the system is about managing fear, mind-set and human performance. We have PhDs, doctors and other experts on our advisory board and continue to experiment. Visit our website, theres a ton of pictures, articles and testimonials that 'll help you get a better sense of the program. Good question, thanks Tony
4/1/06 1:45 PM
Alex

Edited: 01-Apr-06 03:23 PM
Thanks for the clarification. If I had to pick a spot on the spectrum, I think I would now classify Spear as the orginal RSBD. I do realize that since it covers so much of the psychological side of combat, that it's difficult to precisely pin down.
4/1/06 1:51 PM
JoeSk

Edited: 01-Apr-06
Coach Blauer, As an exercise to my own mind and understanding of this would the following analogy be going in the right direction? If I were to compare the SPEAR System to music theory, knowing chords, scales, modes, time signatures etc... would be the principles behind music. Much like studying A-SAP and it's effects on the startle/flinch reflex, the principles behind developing a proper Ballistic Micro Fight, how fear effects performance etc... would be the principles behind the scientific study of the SPEAR System. The music theory I know does not make me a musician until I apply those principles on a guitar, piano, sax etc... The instrument does not bind the theory. The instrument I choose is just the mode of expression of which I apply the principles. Music theory does not make me a guitarist, picking up a guitar and applying music theory to it does. Much in the same way applying the principles from the SPEAR System in a street fight, the ring or day to day life does not make me a martial artist, but someone applying the principles on a field of play for lack of a better term. The system's principles are not bound by a narrow field. Back to my music analogy when I use my individual expression of the music theory on the instrument of my choice it know may be rock, jazz, blues etc. The theory and instrument are not bound by any style, but expressed in the style I choose to apply them to. With the principles behind the SPEAR System we see them mainly expressed in a martial way. We learned it as warriors, but that does not make it a martial art. It was just the way the principles became expressed when it was first developed and still researched. A martial artist in a tournament, a SWAT officer entering a house, a woman fighting off a rapist or using the Cycle Of Behavior to manage a day-to-day problem, may apply the principles. None of these pigeon hole the system into a martial art, defensive tactics system or a conflict resolution management program, but using a scientific set of principles in various fields. Joe Skovira
4/2/06 12:14 AM
taroson

Edited: 02-Apr-06
Alex, I have studied Mr. Blauer?s material for several years now. I think the best bet for you is to create another category in your classifications. The idea behind the S.P.E.A.R. system is to isolate a reflexive response to a stimulus that is introduced too quickly to be dealt with in a cognitive way. Because there is literally no time to think, this reflexive response will end up being a gross motor movement that will bypass all of your combative training. In fact, what the S.P.E.A.R. System does is look at what the body wants to do with no training, attach a combative tactic and then refine the process so that the reflex is modified to the point where your natural movement becomes more combative. You do not have to learn new ?moves?, but rather shape the reflexive responses to survive the ambush, then move to whatever combative training you possess. Because the S.P.E.A.R. System is based on physiology, you might say it is the ultimate ?reality? based system. However, to try to classify it as such really misses the point and does both the system and it?s founder, Mr. Blauer, a huge disservice. Our Emotional Climate Training (ECT) drills allow us to isolate and polish reflexive responses all the way from the point of complete panic to the point of complete (cognitive) control. In the PDR Program we learn Cerebral Self Defense including F.E.A.R Management, Avoidance and De-Escalation Tactics, Defense against the Verbal Assault and many other tactical applications of the mental/psychological mindset during a confrontation. It?s hard to pigeon hole the TCMS System. I think it is fair to say it is unique. I hope you will take the time to do a little research into TCMS/PDR and Tony Blauer. It will be time well spent. Take Care, Mike Suyematsu / PDR Coach
4/2/06 5:13 AM
Adam LaClair

ImposeYourWill.com

Great post Mike.

Adam

4/2/06 5:36 PM
JDDynamic

Edited: 02-Apr-06 05:36 PM
As it was Coach Blauer who first responded to this, and there have been some excellent follow-up posts, there's not a whole lot more to add. In one of the first sessions I attended, a PDR course, Coach Blauer made a comment that was a generalization about many martial arts systems thta went something like: "instructors usually tell students that they just need to 'keep practicing' and 'you'll get it soon enough'" and so on. How many times have we gone to a seminar where you walk out, saying to yourself, that was really cool stuff but I doubt I'll remember 90% of it or be able to pull that off when it counts? With every BTS semianr I've attended I've been able to say to myself, wow, that's really cool stuff, and I can do it right away. Now THAT is a testament to the utility of functinality of the BTS system. But to address the original question, I don't classify the PDR or S.P.E.A.R. Systems as either an MA, an MMA, or an RBSD system. To me, it is a survival system plain and simple. The scientific and medical rationale behind the system (come to the Camp in Vegas this August to hear more on this), enables all of us to enhance our survivability. There's a reason the system is accepted by so many in the MMA world as a means to enhance their training and fighting; and why it is being implemented at LEO and Mil units across the world. Come train and we're sure you'll agree. Jason Dury Herndon, VA PDR Principles Coach S.P.E.A.R. System Coach
4/2/06 6:45 PM
Paul R

I agree 100% with Jason. I myself have been to seminars where I said the exact same thing: "This is great stuff but do I ever see myself actually performing like this in a real street situation?" That is the main reason that I became interested in the SPEAR system. I remember at one of the camps Coach Blauer made a great comment: "Just hang out with physiology." Isn't that the essence of the SPEAR system - to train your mind/body to react/respond the way it wants to in a "real" confrontation? What more could you ask for than that? Paul Rossi
4/3/06 12:03 PM
Alex

Edited: 03-Apr-06
Arigato Suyematsusan.
4/5/06 7:10 PM
taroson

Edited: 05-Apr-06
You are quite welcome Alex! Suyematsu-San
4/11/06 4:51 PM
Tony Torres

Edited: 12-Apr-06 02:11 AM
Excellent responses to a very relevant question! I just wanted to take the liberty to add another layer to defining the SPEAR System. Recently, Coach Blauer and I were working on a document for our Law Enforcement courses. As usual he said something brilliant. "The SPEAR System is the application of science to human movement as it relates to aggression, fear and violence in close quarters combat" T. Blauer I believe it is important to share the above quote with all of you. The SPEAR System includes elements that are martial, art, and science yet it transcends all of them. Stay Safe, Tony Torres Blauer Tactical Systems

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.