UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Nerves.....

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MTripp
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02

OK, shoot me but this isn't MMA related! It has a lot to do with mental edge! I have been a professional magician/comic for some time now. I took a retirment from the stage for about 6 years as I ran my school and dealt with other issues. A "comeback" has fell into my lap; 6 shows this Fri, Sat, and Sunday (new years) as the featured headliner at a major hotel here... ..whats the problem? I know what I'm going to do, and I know I can do it; but I have never been this afraid and nervous in my life! It's like I can't get the timing, and things (the tricks and the jokes) just feel "off". I really have to get my mind and fears in check as I am going to have to hit six home runs on these shows if I am to have any chance of the comeback. Any suggestions on how to do that would be of great help.....
The RealStudent

You don't have to hit 6 home runs. You only have to hit one home run at a time. It may not even have to be a home run; a triple. a double...getting on base is good. As Coach states: fear is F.E.A.R.= False Expectations Appearing Real. Mr. Tripp, you are one of the most accomplished fighters currently alive! There is damned little you cannot do if you have to. I've no doubt the same discipline has gone over to your prestidigitation and comic timing. You don't do [i]randori[/i] with 6 opponents at once; neither are you facing 6 shows at once here. Take each one as it comes. You can only come out of it better off. Not doing it will not aid your comeback; doing it will aid it, no matter what. We all learn more from our trecails than we do from our successes; you will either take a step up in your career, or you will take a giant leap up in your career, but there's really no down side. Yes, it's a challenge - isn't that great? Break a leg, pal - but please, not mine! RealStudent
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
GOod post REAL. Mark - smile at this. What's the worst that could happen? Someone doesnt like the show so they try to beat you up after the performance??? Then you could really make him disappear! :-) Hope you're smiling at least a little.... If I had more notice, I'd have gotten you out my PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENT PSYCHOLOGY audio ASAP, it has a ton of info on there. What RealStudent suggested, is the simplest strategy I advocate, based on a principle of 'Not letting math beat you'... Break the show down into micro-moments and do that, before you know it the show/s will be over. Dont think of the total commitment, but the individual routines and their inter-connectedness will sail you through the production. Also, something very useful if you are felling or anticipating some 'stagefright' symptoms is to mingle with the audience before th eshow [if possible] and then play to specific individuals YOU KNOW want to see the show or you succeed. Have a great one, Tony
jsteinmann

Just imagine the audience in their underwear. That's a joke :) You know what to do (you said so yourself). You know you can do it (you said so yourself). So...what's the problem? "F.E.A.R. is when we visualize failure, pain, doom, destruction in the future, and it immobilizes us in the present" - T. Blauer Coach Tripp, you have all the tools at your disposal that you need to give not one, not six, but hundreds of great performances! I know you've done it before...and you will again. The question is: What is it that you're visualizing that's making you nervous? (I could think of several things that would un-nerve me about performing in front of large crowds on New Year's weekend). Take some time, introspect, and figure out what it is that's making you afraid. Once you know what it is, then you can take some steps to address it. Do you feel like your timing is off because it really is...or are you remembering some "perfect" timing that you had six years ago, that you some how have lost in the interim? You're as good today as you'll ever be. On the day of those performances, you'll be as good as you'll ever be. Don't try to compare the performances of today with what you could do six years ago...or ten years ago, or whatever. We always remember the "good old days" when we were better than we are now. F- that! Are you really out of practice? Or are you older, wiser more experienced (in life) than you were six years ago. If you know you can do it, and you know how to do it... what else is there? "If you can't think of anything else to do, just think of what you'd do if you weren't afraid, and do that" - T. Blauer Enough of my ramblings...I hope that helps. Jake Steinmann PDR Team
MTripp

Go to the Judo Q and A and read my post "The Humility lesson" and you will see what my fear is.... ...that said; Many thanks to ALL of you dear people for the best Christmas gift I could ask for... ...friends who care. I will work on this....
MTripp

PS to Tony! I had thought it might be a good idea to "mingle" before the show and do some of my close up routines for exactly the reasons you suggest... ....great minds and all that! ; ) Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Tony Blauer

Finally got to your forum and read the humility lesson, I replied there too. Later, T
MTripp

Thanks again! PS: I need to speak with you about a project sometime soon. It has to do with finishing something Kano was working on before he died....
Tony Blauer

Hmmm, finshing some of Kano's work..er, sounds OK, I'll se if I CAN SQUEEZE IT IN TOMMORROW!!!! IF you contact my office, leave you info with Phil and I'll call you. I'm in NYC until Wednesday next week, if it can wait, call me then, 877-773-2748. LAter, TOny
The RealStudent

Tripp-Sensei: I read the Humility Lesson on your Forum. It re-inforces what Coach preaches about False Evidence Appearing Real. Your expressed concerns on this thread have to do with fears about your performing your magic in public. But as I analyze (Ooops! Make that "analyse" for the Canadians!) what happened, your own performance was totally irrelevant to the results! She was doing her own performance, for an alcohol and testosterone-filled audience! And in that setting and that context she had a biological advantage that neither you nor any man could have overcome any more than I could get an ippon off of you in competition (I never got past 6th kyu, so believe me, that's a safe prediction!). Yes, she set you up, and did so beautifully. But it had everything to do with her and nothing to do with your comic or magic abilities. You and your performance were not relevant; you were an unimportant (to her) set-up for her own attention. So in essence she taught you a lesson about a vulnerability of which you were not previously aware and will now guard - and she did so in a relatively unimportant setting. Look at it as a training match, preparing for real competition. And should something similar occur in the future you'll be forewarned and forearmed in many ways: 1) not to give her the gift of having her stated opinion (whther she believes it or not!) bear any importance to you, 2) having a comeback line in mind if necessary, e.g. "My dear, I must bow to your superior knowledge and experience about sucking for money. Of course, a line like that might test some of your other skills.... RealStudent
MTripp

Thank you all again! Tony I will get back to you after New years as I am now in "do the show mode" BUT, interesting observation.... My comedy club act was in storage, along with the big stuff like the water torture cell, I got it out yesterday and took it home. Once I unpacked it, cleaned everything up, and actually had the stuff in my hands, A TOTALY DIFFERENT FEELING CAME INTO THE GAME! It was, like familiar, for lack of a better word. The "feeling" of the props triggered other sensory memories. I really am hard pressed to put this into words but the feelings of "we have been here before" was VERY marked. While still nervous about the shows this weekend; I honestly have a different mind set than I did.... Thanks for you help, and I hope this "inside mark tripp" helped others. I'll let you all know how they go!
Tony Blauer

GO get em Mark! T
MTripp

PS to all... ...taking your wonderful advice, this weekend has been a dream! Yes, lots of pre-performance jitters; but NOTHING on stage like my "fear" said was going to happen. Even when things didn't go "right" the audience never knew and I covered well. We REALLY are lucky and blessed to have Tony around. Darn few of us will have to fight off a violent assault from a person.... ...but life assaults us every day, and people die from those stresses every day. These methods can change that to! God bless you, one and all!
Tony Blauer

Mark: Thaks, Many years ago I wrote and incorporated the idea that we allneed ot redefine just what a confrontation is. This theme is what helped coin the name of my incorporation and I have always included this thought into my Cerebral Self-defense workshop: "Every day we are faced with confrontations, how we handle those confrontations determines the quality of our day and therefore the quality of our lives" Glad it went well. Tony

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.