UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Knife defence training

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tony Blauer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.

Er, let me take a stab at this. 1. In & out. Or in just 'if' its left there. 2. Across & through. >O< :-) Tony
bremc

Coach! Succinct and to the point. No pun intended. ‡o)
The RealStudent

Well, this is, after all, the Mental Edge!
bremc

OK Real Student. One things for sure you can't stay in one place to long when dealing with a knife attacks. Coach has drills that really prepare one for real world defenses. Mentally and physically.
Tony Blauer

I hope Deane [Lawler] isnt teasing us, FYI, Deane is one of those on a short list of martial artists in the world I really respect. Hope he shares some insights here. Tony
Tony Blauer

Deane, have you produced any videos since I saw you last? If so, are they availble NTSC? If not, send me some, I will find a price to convert them to NTSC and see if we can expose North America to some of your research on the knife arena... T
Tony Blauer

Also, what Deane is helping you explore here, is that fact vs fiction reality of 'Pressure Testing' your tactics. Drills performed with finesse and specific 'angles' in mind create a 'skill set' paradox, on th eone hand, you feel confident and skillled, as you do improve, the paradox is when you do a 'Manson Drill' and discover that irreverent, rage attacks produce angles that are never dealt with in the typical 'drilling' type academies. All this to say, that Deane's oblique question, if you answer it by safely exploring it 3-Dimensionally [i.e. try it out]might just save your life. "DO not mistake the Tradmark for the Truth" -TCMS MAxim PLay safe, TOny
hal5150

Good stuff guys. I had an opportunity to play with my Kali stuff at a slaughter house once. We were trying to get as many cuts in one minute that we could. Things got kind of messy real quick. The handle is quite hard to hang onto when there is blood all over it as well as on your hand. My serated blade actually got stuck on flesh on one cut. My $40 knife performed as well as my $100 one. I no longer bother with the serated blade. The big thing was as my adrenaline started pumping, I lost my really cool "Angles of Attack" that I spend hours practicing. I was more worried in not losing my blade and trying to break the magic number of 100 cuts per minute. Anyone who can get access to a slaughter house, should try this out. Just my 2 cents. Hal
clones_r_people2

Hey Deane do u do one day sessions? im here in bris for a bit and i was just wondering if your still in redcliffe and how much your sessions are. Thank u very much. Daniel
Tony Blauer

Deane! Love the 'Human Litmus' test analogy!! :-) Hal: awesome [and psychotic :-)] evolution of training, I hope people can draw on the subtle direction of Deane's message and the not so subtle imagery created by your test. In the end, one must determine, why we train? ALl arts are 'great' if the art defines and embodies the answer to the question. You know my stance: though most people want self-defense skill and the mental confidence supposedly accompanying it; what they get is hype, doctrine, politics, ritual and chorography. The UFC showed us what some of us have been teaching. Real fights represent the proverbial 'monkey wrench' cliche: WOrks in theory/not in practice! I have created drills so oblique, so natural, that for years [and still today] people will look at what I teach and call it everything from classical kung fu to that sloppy shit. Some cannot appreciate simplicity; so they mistake complexity for effectiveness. There are those who do not understand my work, or Deane's and some others out there, they just dont get the philosphy that 'our material works in practice, just not in theory'. :-) The next level of evolution [something I have been preaching and writing about since long before the UFC and other events] is the realization that contests, while dramatic, dangerous and exciting, are still not the same as real fights. Add just one rule = sport. And I do appreciate that 'GLadiator' was a sport... So briging this back to the knife concept: once you solidify a pattern it creates a groove, the groove creates a rut, a rut creates a linear body/mind orientation and reduces the survival system's ability to spontaneously address, adapt and remedy a new problem. So unless you can guarantee the way your next real world opponent will attack you, look into 3-D training, scenario work, and taking the drills apart to make sure they replicate 'what is', not 'what's fun'. TB
tmorenz

Outstanding thread! This is one for the archives!! Tim
taroson

Mr. Lawler and Coach, While I don't claim to be a knife expert I have 'played' with the blade enough to find some interesting factors which seem to pop up when sh-t hits the fan. The emotional component of the situation really changes everything. I can't speak for everyone, but I have discovered that persoanlly in a high stress situation I tend to short arm (shorten the circumference)my slashes. Blade angle and orientation tends to get real sloppy as fine motor coordination goes out the window. Weapon shock, (like hitting a bone or other hard surface unexpectedly) can knock the knife right out of your hand or drastically change your next 'shot' as you drag your blade over the target. Then there are times when stabbing that your blade just gets stuck (like Hal mentioned). Something Tony wrote on the "Edge" long ago was that we should not forget that whatever tool you happen to be using, (knife, gun, tactical nuke, etc.) YOU are the weapon. I love the Fillipino Martial Arts but I never forget that like Tony says, "No technique or style ever won a fight...It's always a fighter's heart, faith tenacity, audacity and conviction that creates victory; the actual tactic is incidental." Bottom line and why I love TCMS teaching so much is that you have to train, drill, experiment, test and evaluate what YOU can/will do when push comes to shove. Hope that made sense... Mike
Robert Finlayson

Excellent post Mikey.......I will be dropping you an email in the next few days. Until then....keep training and keep writing. Robb
taroson

Thanks Robb. I'd love to hear from you. Happy Holidays! Mike
3/7/02 12:00 AM
Tony Blauer

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.