UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> How Good is Jen?

4/16/06 5:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Howuderen
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Apr-06

This question was asked to him about you. I was wondering what you thought of him?
4/16/06 11:39 PM
New2MMA
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Apr-06 11:45 PM
edit
4/17/06 6:19 PM
m.g
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Apr-06
It should be noted Bolo said good things about Roy. This is what he said: "I have not trained with Roy in many years, so I do not know his current skill level on the mat. However, I can say that in my past experience with Roy, he is very good, extremely technical, and one of the smartest people I have ever met in regards to "figuring things out on his own". In his instructional videos, when you see him rolling with his students or even with Joe Moreira, he is just playing around. In the past, when I saw Roy play his "A" game with someone like Joe, it was something that was pretty cool to watch."
4/20/06 3:14 PM
wck

Edited: 20-Apr-06
You gotta wonder about a person's motive for asking these sorts of questions.
4/21/06 5:46 PM
New2MMA
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Apr-06 11:49 PM
Oh well
4/21/06 7:35 PM
sk0t

Edited: 21-Apr-06
I do not think there is anything wrong with asking how good he really is... Michael Jen answered it with dignity and respect referring to Roy Harris... And I would imagine Roy answering in the same way. I do not see anything wrong with wanting to know how good Michael Jen is... I have alot of his videos and I think that they is very articulate and he is very good at describing the technique. I have never rolled with him (across the country from me, and I am only a white belt) but from the videos he describes techniques that have worked for me. Hearing what Roy thinks about him (on a BJJ) level is not bad...as long as Roy doesnt talk about him personally.. They used to train together, so Roy would an excellent source of information.
4/21/06 7:36 PM
Howuderen

Edited: 21-Apr-06
I think it's pretty obvious what the motives are. The motive for asking such a question would be to find out how good is Michael Jen. Duh. It's simple. I've seen threads about "how good is Rickson," or "how good is garcia." Nobody questioned those "motives". Michael Jen sells instructional tapes and gives BJJ advice on a forum. Asking how good he is, especially after he was just asked about someone else, is a very fair question. What's with the defensive post right away? I don't think he has anything to hide. Post like yours take away creditablity because if Roy Harris just posted his answer without all the crying and it was positive, it would have been a great endorsment for Jen. Instead it seems like Roy will have no choice but to say nice things, because everybody started bitching before he even had a chance to answer. I have to wonder about the motives of those who jump in the defend him, when nothing negative was even said. BTW, I think both forums are great.
4/22/06 4:24 AM
Ridgeback

Edited: 22-Apr-06
The problem with Roy answering now is that Mike's game has improved by leaps and bounds since last they trained so his opinion would be pretty dated.
4/22/06 4:31 AM
sk0t

I agree Ridgeback, but Roy can give us a little idea of how Mike was when they worked out together. I dont think anyone expects Roy to pick his game apart detail by detail... I think the original poster just wants to know what training with Mike is like, and obviously he is good, or he wouldnt have a forum solely dedicated to him, but just a basic idea of what he was like...
4/22/06 10:51 PM
wck

I'm not jumping in to defend Jen or anyone; I just think these sorts of questions often have bad intentions behind them, and try to stir up shit.
4/24/06 5:10 AM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Apr-06
How good is Mike Jen's current skills on the mat? I don't know. I have not trained Mike since 1999. I remember just a few years into his training (1994), I told Mike, "With disciplined effort, you have the potential to be the next Royler Gracie on the mat!" I am sure Mike's game has grown by leaps and bounds as Ridgeback has clearly stated. However, since it has been seven years since I have had personal experience on the mat with him, I cannot state what his current skill level is. Roy Harris

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.