UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> H&K USP Starter .40

4/20/06 9:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Fin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Apr-06

I may be getting this for a steal. I'm a right handed shooter. Is there any reason I should not get this? I have a good feel for the .40 rentals at the range and I understand that h&k is a great gun to have and I don't like starting with shitty quality shit.
4/21/06 10:01 AM
psychoslasher
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Apr-06
I own an HK 40 and it's a wonderful handgun! EXTREMELY accurate and it wonderful to handle. You can have the option of carrying it cocked and lock or just carry it double action. I also like the fact that the mag release is on both sides cause you can hit the mag release easier with your right hand. You can also pick up brand new mags very cheap on eBay. Don't know about the laser sight but that's just me :)
4/21/06 12:30 PM
Aaron
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

laser sight's gotta go. looks like one of those $5 jobs that come free with airsofts.
4/21/06 2:07 PM
psychoslasher

LOL!!! Very true. Laser sights on a handgun move around way too much and you'll focus more on that than your sights which will make your shots much slower and less accurate.
4/21/06 4:14 PM
krept
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

are the magazines standard capacity or just 10 rounders? if they are only ten, you might want to look around for another deal unless it's crazy good. Agree, laser has to go and you'll want a good quality holster. Price the mags around $50 each, so add $100 to the cost of a used USP and use that as a baseline. i definitely recommend OEM mags. cheers
4/22/06 10:59 AM
psychoslasher

Edited: 22-Apr-06
The mags sold on eBay are standard 10 round mags. You can't buy high capacity magazines for the HK USP anymore. I was told that since they are imported, they cannot import high capacity magazines. I can't remember exactly why but a dealer told me this a while back. You can buy 10 round factory mags on eBay for around $20 each. Honestly though, if you need more than 10 rounds, you need more time at the shooting range.
4/22/06 8:59 PM
Fin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ahhh....from what I've been reading is... There are larger capacity mags around, but you have to use something called "Jet Tunnel" and use those mags made for them (they are plastic and kind of see through) Lemme see if I can get a pic of it.
4/22/06 9:07 PM
Fin

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heckler-Koch-Factory-USP-9mm-40cal-Jet-Funnel_W0QQitemZ7235016421QQcategoryZ73948QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ahhh okay You NEED the Jet Tunnel to use these Then you have a 16 Round Magazine....
4/22/06 9:14 PM
Fin

http://www.robertrtg.com/uspjetfunnel.html Picture of the funnel + the mag...can't use the other ones if I put this on. If I find the non LEO one's I can fit 13 in those mags and have no need for the jet funnel.
4/23/06 1:10 PM
psychoslasher

Edited: 23-Apr-06
Seems like a lot of trouble for 6 extra rounds.
4/23/06 7:34 PM
Fin

Edited: 23-Apr-06
True - I'm not gonna do it, just posting information I guess, I can get 13 round that fit just fine anywho.
4/24/06 2:25 PM
krept
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Apr-06
http://www.calssportingarmory.com/hkmagazines_40sw.htm there are plenty of new full capacity magazines available. you can even use magazines marked LAW ENFORCEMENT USE ONLY because that applied only to the ban which has now expired. That's why places like Cal's are selling them when they would otherwise be restricted. I personally would not like the idea of carrying around a handgun that has magazines castarated to an arbitrary standard that no longer applies unless you live in a restricted state. It's about having the ability to use your weapon to its fullest extent in my opinion. my concealed carry weapon is an HK P7M8. It "only" holds 8 cartridges in the magazine and one in the chamber. It's "only" a 9mm, at that. So... would I feel 10 rounds of .40 is enough? Absolutely. But it would still suck to have a weapon designed to hold 12 and having magazines that only hold 10. I know, because my other handgun is a USP .45 with 10 round mags. Haven't been able to afford full capacity ones yet. I'm not too bitter, however, because it's probably going to get traded in for a 1911. :) cheers
4/24/06 11:35 PM
psychoslasher

Edited: 24-Apr-06
Ahhhhhhh, the HK P7 :) That's a fine weapon.
4/26/06 2:05 PM
krept

Edited: 26-Apr-06
:) yeah it's nice and I had to sacrifice a lot to get it several years ago. It's got drawbacks, however... mainly that the manual of arms is so unique that there aren't really other handguns that compliment it. Now that HK has discontinued the line, I'm really hesitant to sell it.
4/26/06 9:44 PM
Aaron
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Apr-06
I love this HK -
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=47653556
4/27/06 9:41 PM
Fin

Edited: 27-Apr-06
I've heard from the normal HK guys that there is a cult following for that gun and some people regard it as the best true CCW you could buy.
4/28/06 9:35 PM
psychoslasher

Edited: 28-Apr-06
I've shot one before and it's the most accurate handgun ever. My uncle could empty the gun and have one hole the size of a quarter at 15 yards. It's also the safest handgun on the market.
4/29/06 1:55 PM
mrarmbar2you

Edited: 29-Apr-06
wow! the most accurate handgun EVER
4/30/06 12:50 AM
shovelhook

Edited: 30-Apr-06
do you squeeze it once (and let up) to cock it or is it like a grip safety that has to be held down the whole time to be able to fire?
5/1/06 5:37 PM
krept

Edited: 01-May-06
:) i think the most accurate handgun would probably be one of those $2,000+ single shot competition .22LR pistols. One reason why the P7 is so accurate is that the barrel is fixed (there is no barrel link or bushing tolerances to worry about, but the same is true with revolvers and other handguns like the Desert Eagle). I have not shot one, but I think the SIG P210 is probably more accurate, but not as good a CCW piece. The safety on the P7 is kind of like a deadman switch on machinery, meaning that without a constant squeeze, the pistol is on safe. There is a significant amount of pressure needed to unsafe the weapon, about as much as you would usually employ with a firm grip. After it is cocked, only a nominal amount of pressure is needed to keep it cocked... but... if you do not know it needs to be unsafed, chances are you will not cock it. One reason why some people do NOT feel it is a safe weapon is because when operating the squeeze cocker, they argue that the trigger finger will naturally gravitate towards the trigger (sympathetically). Stick your hand out like you are going to shake someone's hand, then only squeeze your lower three fingers quickly. one semi-unknown thing that is really cool about the platform is that the squeeze cocker also releases the slide when a loaded magazine is inserted, so no need to slingshot or use the slide lock lever to reload if you shoot the weapon to slidelock. just resqueeze. It's also totally ambidexterous, has a fluted chamber so if the extractor breaks it will still extract shell casings, etc. etc. very good weapon. cheers
5/2/06 6:36 AM
shovelhook

Edited: 02-May-06
I love the ergonomics of it, the profile is just perfect, more than any other firearm becomes part of your body. I don't know how I would like the squeeze cocking. I'm sure once you get used to it though, it might be preferable. I always have had a problem of not keeping my finger off the trigger as well, hard to break yourself of. This is the only handgun over 1000. I ever considered purchasing. A few years ago, maybe still, the Detroit PD SWAT team used the M-13 version as an issued sidearm. Rutger Hauer uses one in Wanted Dead or Alive. I bet the trigger is really sweet on it. I would really like to try one out and see about the squeeze cocker cause I love everything else about it. As for the USP how is the trigger? I like the cocked and locked feature of the variant 1, but how is the SA pull, compared to a SIG? I love glocks except for the stiffness at the end, I'd like something smoother, a short trigger reset is always an important factor, moreso than weight even (no way in hell would I ever own a DAO pistol that were popular in the early 90's to replicate a revolver trigger). I always heard Sigs had the best trigger of any DA pistol, in DA and SA mode, just wondering how a USP compares in that department. I've wanted a USP .45 stainless for years, I have always liked it and wanted it for my sidearm/full size, home defense pistol.
5/3/06 1:10 AM
krept

Edited: 03-May-06
Awesome info about the P7, didn't know some of that. The USP trigger, to me at least, is not so good. I would agree that SIG is superior... if you accept modifications/smithing, the USP trigger can be made really sweet by a guy in California named Bruce Grey. Ironically, he was on Team HK and switched over to SIG where he won a major compitition (IDPA?)with one over custom 1911s. The Good about the mod is it makes the trigger reset awesome, the bad is IIRC it disables the drop safety, so I have read. On that, the reset of the USP series... speaking only for my USP .45 is really bad. Sometimes I have to return it all the way forward to actually get it to reset. The DA trigger is heavy, but I replaced the 14lb mainspring with a 12lb one from Wolff and in over 2k rounds, have not had any misfires. That helped the weight of the SA trigger to put it on par with SIG, but again the real sinker is the reset as you touched on. The reset on a Glock is actually something I really like. Although the reset on a P7 and 1911 are very similar (short) that slight increase in pressure you feel on the Glock is the point at which it resets... and in slowly releasing the trigger, you hear the "click" indicating it's good to go again... something you don't really feel on the P7/1911. An additional problem with the USP variant 1 is the decocking feature. If you ride the manual safety lever (high thumbs grip on the 1911) there is a good chance you put it into partial decock mode. This means that if unsafe is horizontal and decock is around 30 degrees below horizontal, you might get into the 10 degree below horiz. range. If this happens, the weapon will NOT fire... it's as if it is on safe. The cool thing is that this can be fixed by swapping the detent plate out for the proper variant that doesn't allow decocking. If your training tells you to resqueeze the trigger on a misfire, you can still get the hammer to fall on a DA unlike a 1911. I did like the decock feature, however, because I have carried my USP a couple times while hiking out here (open carry is legal, no permit) and when I get into dusty areas of the desert I decock it to prevent crap getting into the action. That's a big reason why 1911s were issued with flap holsters is my understanding... for home... that's what I intended to use the USP .45 for when I bought it. I find, however, that I grab the P7 just because it feels right. If that isn't a testament to the importance of platform over greater capacity AND caliber, then I dont know what would be... :) cheers

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.