UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Nietzsches value theory?

4/21/06 8:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Indrek R.
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Apr-06

Hey - got a question for Nietzsche experts What books by Nietzsche should one read to get a grasp of Nietzsches axiology and ethical standpoints. What are the indispensable ones and what the secondary ones? What secondary literature would you suggest? I wanna look at his axiology with an "analytical" view and see what meta-ethical standpoint he presented.
4/22/06 6:05 PM
FudoMyoo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Apr-06

"and see what meta-ethical standpoint he presented."

from what I understand he was pretty much of a nihilist, perhaps emotivist there.

4/22/06 6:09 PM
FudoMyoo

hmm, the issue was of course more complicated then I first thought.

take a look here for a thorough analysis of your question:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/nietzsche-moral-political/#3

I hope it can help.

4/22/06 6:17 PM
FudoMyoo

aha, I didn´t see that.
4/23/06 6:17 AM
Indrek R.
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Apr-06
That is why i´d like to get some deeper insight into his value thinking. He comes off as a nihilist, but then again he has his ultimate value (life=will to power=creativity) that everything can be measured against... I will start studying it in a while though - have to finish my thesis right now. Thanks, guys
4/23/06 12:29 PM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 23-Apr-06

no probs, good luck with the thesis.

What is it about?

4/24/06 12:16 PM
hekster

Edited: 24-Apr-06
Read the Twighlight of Idols first, it is a good intro. Then I recommend On The Genealogy of Morals, which is THE book of Nietzsche's ethics. Beyond Good and Evil is pretty succinct, but written before he had fully worked out his ethical position (which changed, as with any great thinker). Don't read Thus Spoke Zarathustra for any analytical perspective. It is a very difficult read without a familiarity with his other literature.
4/25/06 12:57 PM
hekster

Edited: 25-Apr-06
You can find the seeds of OGOM in every other Nietzsche work. Because of N's methodology, there is a tendency for people to advocate reading nearly all of N in order to get one book (May as well have a PHD in Greek Literature also). OGOM and Beyond Good and Evil are where his ethical theory is concentrated the most. That is what I based my opinion on.
5/2/06 11:16 AM
86ed4life

Edited: 02-May-06
The hekster makes an excellent point when I began reading BGE it makes all kinds of footnotes to his other works.
5/4/06 4:41 AM
Indrek R.

Edited: 04-May-06
Thanks guys FudoMyoo - I am graduating from Politics right now, but managed to write my thesis on political philosophy. The topic is the critical evaluation and assessment of Nozick´s critique of Rawls.
5/5/06 11:47 AM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 05-May-06
Interesting. Have you read Kymlicka? he has made a similar critical evaluation of Nozicks arguments in his book "Political Theory".
5/5/06 12:20 PM
Indrek R.

Edited: 05-May-06
I use some Kymlicka´s arguments against Nozick from the "Contemporary Political Philosophy" which is IMO the best general book written on the subject matter.
5/9/06 11:03 AM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 09-May-06

yes I agree, it´s the same book. I just translated the swedish title by myself. lol

5/9/06 3:47 PM
Indrek R.

Edited: 09-May-06
I finished it today. 77 pages :)
5/10/06 2:56 AM
Indrek R.

Edited: 10-May-06 07:41 AM
Well you could read it but it is in Estonian cause I am living here in Estonia :) After I work something out of it in English I will let you guys know. I am not a fan of Rawls´s writing. Nozick writes much much better and is more fun to read. Rawls is more of a system builder while Nozick´s more famous parts are critique or just hints about what he thinks is right. I think Rawls´s concepts and framework (basic structure as the basic rules, primary social goods etc.) are the ones to use, but his two principles could be better. Dworkin´s auction is a better idea - I think the best line for criticizing Rawls or where Rawls went most wrong is the ambition-insensitive idea. His theory is endowment insensitive but should be more ambition-sensitive. (Kymlickas Cont. Pol. Phil chap 2 - Liberalism has the best short overview of both Rawls and Dworkin). I think Nozick´s critique of Rawls is very engaging cause of its flashiness but it completely fails. First of all most of the critique depends on Nozick´s own theory being right. Secondly his own theory really starts from the concept of self-ownership (although he doesn´t make it seem so). But the concept of self-ownership is in some sense contradictory to his own fundamental values and objectives (those he actually explicitly states - treating people as ends and etc.) In the fundamental level it is still just a conflict of different values and I think the point is that 95% of the people just wouldn´t want to live in a Nozickian state. Since i do not believe in objective values but subjective preferences I think the Rawlsian or Dworkinian state is a much better thing. Greets, I.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.