Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Apr-06
Thanks I like to work ou...HEY!!!!
4/25/06 7:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sanguine cynic

Edited: 25-Apr-06
I am taking a philosophy of Aesthetics class right now and one of the choices for my Final Term paper is to explain the basic ideas of the class to the layman. Maybe I'll just send you my paper when I'm done.
4/26/06 11:43 AM
Logic Rules

Edited: 26-Apr-06
What is art? How do you know if something is beautiful?
5/5/06 1:17 AM
goodandevil

Edited: 05-May-06
Oh Shit, "What is art" Well, first we must undetstand art as a reflection of reality from a differnt point of veiw. Metaphyisics "How do I know if something is beautiful?" You do not know, as this is a question that Kant called a (transendental, cosmological question.) And the answer is not obtainable. But then again there is Plato's "forms," which leads to a possible knowledge of "the beautiful."
5/27/06 9:09 AM
Giorgos

Edited: 27-May-06
Logic Rules - yep, it is a field of research that aims towards defining not just beauty, but also likeables. It comes from the greek word "aisthitiki" which means "appealing to the senses". Best of way of looking at the issue in my opinion is through a triangle of Wittgenstein/Kripke/Brandom. That is, it ultimately boils down to inferences on what is asserted; either through culture or individuals commitments and assertments.
5/27/06 9:23 AM
Giorgos

Edited: 27-May-06
goodandevil - I am afraid metaphysics has very little to do with it. I mean don't get me wrong, many people in the past have argued that indeed it does. However, there can be no argument to the effect that "necessarily" such and such is the case. As Kripke very shrewdly commented on Wittgenstein's infamous 201 article, questions about what determines what we mean and how we proceed in certain circumstances, have to with what is asserted in a given context and what the utility is for doing so. Brandom has also extended the notion by adding "downstream" cases; i.e. not being overskeptical by just looking for what determines our course of actions (liking/disliking sth is a course of action in some sense right?) but also look at what our assertions commit us to. Thus, a theory of aesthetics could be construed under this rather semantical analysis, rather than a much wished Metaphysical one:(

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.