UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> ATTN: Lynn@Renzos (Q&A)

4/22/06 1:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Logic Rules
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Apr-06

Q: What inspired you to become a director? Q: When the going got tough, what kept you going? Q: What was your greatest film? Q: What books or websites do you recommend for someone thinking about getting into Film? Q: Have you met anyone famous? Q: Did you go to film school, if so, which one? Thanks.
4/23/06 11:09 AM
Lynn@Renzos

Edited: 23-Apr-06 11:16 AM
Logic Rules... Hmmm a Q&A... I always liked making films, but originally was making these odd cinema verite' films that were shown in galleries and museums. I was really an artist working with video as the medium. What I was really doing was documentary filmmaking in an art context so I decided to move into doc filmmaking outside of the art context and that's where I am now. I took a break between the two and owned another business for awhile which was fun but after Sept. 11th, I decided I needed to do what I really wanted to do in life and that business wasn't it. (That was architecture/furniture design) When the tough get going, I just turn to myself to push me harder. I'm lucky to have great support from family and friends who believe in what I do. I've got a pretty close group that are successful in their arenas so it's great to bounce ideas off of them. I would have to say that "Ring Days: A Boxer's Story" is the greatest thing that I have ever made to date. It was an amazing journey and now it is beginning to really pay off in some solid attention. I'm involved in a couple of new projects that I feel will rival this on a personal level. As they progress I'll talk more about them on here. Books: 1. "Rebel without a Crew" Robert Rodriguez
2. "Writing, Directing and Producing Documentary Films and Videos" Alan Rosenthal
3. "Directing the Documentary" Rabiger
4. "In the Blink of an Eye" Murch
5. "The Art of the Documentary" Cunningham
6. "Trailer Mechanics: A guide to making your documentary fundraising trailer" Rossi
7. "Story" Robert McKee
8. "The Guerilla Filmmakers Handbook" Joliffe and Jones
9. "Documentary Storytelling for Film and Videomakers" Bernard
10. "Documentary Filmmakers Speak" Stubbs
*this should be considered my short list. remember though that I'm a docmaker so must of this reflects that except for "Story" by McKee. Websites: 1. 2 pop forums
2. b-independent.com
3. dvxusers.com
4. doculink listserv
5. D-Word community (private for professional docmakers forum)
*I look at a bunch more... I've met a ton of famous people. I'm never impressed with fame though. I treat people all the same because we are all the same. I started out in architecture school at Texas A&M. After 5 years of intense academic work, I moved on to another degree in Fine Arts with a minor in Film/Television. I did grad work in mulit-media arts. That was at UNT. That's kind of the long and the short of it. Thanks for the questions but why the questions?
4/23/06 1:33 PM
Logic Rules

Edited: 23-Apr-06
"Thanks for the questions but why the questions?" I appreciate your answers. Film/Video seems like a cool career, and since I'm getting bored with studying business and politics, I want to get in touch with my creative side. I've been developing an interest in directors and producers but I don't know any. Then I remembered you, so I figured I could ask you some questions about yourself so I can see where film makers come from.
4/23/06 3:30 PM
Lynn@Renzos

Edited: 23-Apr-06
Logic... Feel free to ask away. Thanks for thinking of me. I can tell you that film/video making is a great career. It can be quite difficult but once you break in, it is pretty amazing.
4/24/06 5:25 AM
FightFan424

Edited: 24-Apr-06
ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.