UnderGround Forums

Football Ground >> Best match you've been to

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

4/23/06 11:17 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Shotgun Mick
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Apr-06

So what's the best match you've been to? Could be because of the actual game itself or just the banter and atmosphere. Mine is probably Newcastle vs Barcelona game in 96 where we won 3-2 and Asprilla scored a hat-trick. Best atmosphere I have ever experienced at a game so far. Nobody sat down throughout the whole game (as it should be) and it was just constant noise and singing. Brilliant. Close 2nd would be the FA Cup Semi vs Spurs at Old Trafford. All through extra time the Newcastle fans were jumping up and down and that top tier in the stadium was bouncing. Not sure if it's supposed to do that. When Shearer's 2nd flew in it was almost perfection.
4/23/06 12:33 PM
GinoFelino

You got me, I can't think of one to top the Newcastle/ Barca match, that was awesome.
4/23/06 12:56 PM
OctaviousBP

So many to choose from. I wasn't at the stadium for Korea vs. Italy WC 2002, but when the Koreans won, the streets flooded. My apartment started to shake, and it was unlike anything I had ever experienced. I was at the stadium for Korea vs. Portugal, and that was something else. The vibe was so positive in the streets, people were just elated. The worst game I was at was France vs. Uruguay WC 2002. Nil draw with Henry being sent of within the first 15 minutes.
4/23/06 1:53 PM
Govnor

West Ham V Chelsea 2003. My Dad came over for his once a year game (lives in Holland) Paulo Di Canio's last home game (possibly Joe Coles as well...can't remember). PDC scored and we won 1-0...and he ran right in front of us celebrating like crazy. Of course, we got relegated the next week and Chelsea turned into Chelski...oh well!
4/23/06 7:40 PM
Chris Morrison

Both 4-3's at Anfield when Liverpool beat Newcastle each time. I was there as a Newcastle fan but despite the disappointment, the matches were pretty amazing. Also Blackpool Vs Bradford City in 1996. Play-off semi final second leg. We were 2-0 down from the first leg and won 3-0 away to go to Wembley, where we beat Notts County 2-0 to be promoted. The atmosphere was crazy and we had to dodge plenty of bottles on the way out of Blackpool, the locals weren't happy.
5/1/06 6:16 AM
PeterIrl
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-May-06
One of my favourites was Paul McGraths testimonial for Ireland, where he was half pissed, and ended up getting cut down by a midfielder(cant remember which one) Any Lansdowne road match really though, tiny stadium with a huge atmosphere.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.