UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> pulling the trigger

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Samurai_
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02

I suppose that this may be the best place to ask this question...but, I am concerned that i am not able to strike effectivly during a fight do to a mental block. Allow me to clarify by stating that I seem to be able to hit from a clinch and on the ground. My grappling is also fine. It is just that i seem unable or unwilling to attack an opponent with committed strikes. It feels as though i am afraid of getting taken down or ending up on my back (which happens anyway). I am an effective striker in training and i need to be able to pull the trigger...any help would be appreciated.
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
For many years in boxing the subtle skills of countering an opponent though the use of drawing, faking and fainting has slowly disappeared [some do it, but as an art form, I think it is all but forgotten] In our community, the MMA world, this art is practically non-existent. The crash & smash approach to clinching kind of undermines the subtle outside game. And for those wishing to manipulate their opponents to set up tactics, exploring this is crucial. You need to do more isolation drills and focus specifically on these elements so you have confidence at this distance and with your options. Another concern is the fear that has manifested as a resulted. I have a tape that will benefit you called CONTACT SPARRING AN FEAR MANAGEMENT. It’s all about isolation drills and addressing the psychological fear when striking. Something to look into perhaps. Good luck, Tony
Samurai_

hmmm...allow me to further clarify my position. This seems to be a %100 mental problem. I have no trouble in training and can perform exactly how I wish (to perform that is). When I get into the ring, the enviornment seems to make me hesitant and i begin to lack the confidence to strike... at the moment, the only solution i can think of is to think of some sort of "mantra" or "trigger word" and then have my corner man scream that at me to remind me to strike...
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Sounds to me like a simple case of 'performance anxiety'. Get in there and have fun and foget about the result and how it defines you. When we place too much emphasis on winning or what losing means we do affect our performance. If you like the sport then just fight. Get over the intial fear of trying and letting go and then concentrate on strategy and victory. And remember, your coach isnt in the ring with you - he's safe behind the ropes!! :-) Tony

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.