UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Guard getting passed like crazy

5/4/06 12:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
objective12
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-May-06

Roy, my guard used to be ok but it seems like it's getting passed like crazy these days. Any suggestions for refining my guard control and open guard to avoid this bad phase in my training? (1 year white belt).
5/8/06 9:34 AM
tysaw

Edited: 08-May-06
ttt
5/8/06 1:15 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

objective12, There are a number of preliminary questions that have to be asked before an in-depth answer can be given. For example: 1. What guard are they passing? Open? Closed? Butterfly? Spider? Etc... 2. Are they passing gi or no gi? 3. How are they passing? 4. Is it the same person that you are referring to? Or, is it a group of people? 5. What is their belt level? 6. How long have they been training? 7. How often do they train (in comparison to you)? 8. Do they perform the same guard pass each time, or is it a different guard pass each time? 9. How many hours have you spent focusing exclusively on guard control? For example: Have you taken at least ten hours of uninterrupted time and focused exclusively on guard control and nothing else? In other words, do you perform disciplined and focused training to the point where there are no submission attempts, no sweep attempts, no escapes, no takedowns, nothing but guard control? If you can answer each of these questions in detail, I can provide you with an answer. Roy Harris
5/8/06 3:54 PM
objective12

1. Closed, then open. 2. Gi. 3. Hard to tell. 4. Different people. 5. I am white. They are blue and purple. 6. 1-6 years. 7. The same or maybe 1 or 2 days more a week. 8. Hard to tell. 9. This may be the crux of the problem. Perhaps you can just help me understand how to practice guard control. Do you have any material out on the subject that would cover JUST that? Thanks, Roy. I've always enjoyed the style of your grappling.
5/8/06 6:52 PM
jujubre
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have the same problem. I did not train in 2 year and 2 years ago my gard was great for this time. I was able to put people in triangle and armbar almost at will. Nowaday, I have beguin to train again one months ago and my gards sucks. I am getting passed right and left and I can show no offense from this position. I always have to go to my knee in order to not have people pass it. and I can not put someone in a triangle to save my life. Nowaday, i prefer to be on top and try to pass other peoples gard because i feel when people are in my gard like my legs are dead and I can do nothing with them.
5/9/06 1:19 PM
demandango
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-May-06
andrew yao's website has the old roy harris no gi guard control videos. ask him for his url on the bjj forum.
5/9/06 3:41 PM
jonpall

http://s89065344.onlinehome.us/
5/9/06 10:54 PM
beauregard

TTT for later
5/12/06 11:27 AM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-May-06
objective12, To begin, you are a white belt, struggling with blue and purple belts passing your guard. All I can say at this point in time is that (a) they have more experience than you and (b) your expectations of preventing them (the people with more experience than you) from passing your guard is a little too high. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can tell you that will help you to catch up on their experience level. The best thing I can recommend at this point in time in your game is that you set your sights a little lower and focus on preventing your fellow white belts (who are about the same size as you and have roughly the same experience as you) from passing your guard. Think about it this way: If you were a purple belt who had been training for six years, and some white belt who had only been training for one year was frustrated because you kept passing his guard, what would you tell him? Also, what would you think of his frustration? Of course, you would understand it because you yourself had been there. However, you would know that he is setting his sights a little too high to think he can stop you from passing his guard. Additionally, the fact that you cannot tell which way they are passing your guard and whether or not they change methods tells me that your awareness level is low - which is OK because you are still a white belt. As you gain more experience in Jiu Jitsu, your awareness level will grow and you will be able to see and remember the specific ways in which your opponents are performing certain techniques. Once this happens, your game will take on new meaning. Until then, keep focusing on your fundamentals (bridge and roll, elbow/knee, go to your knees, replace the guard and stand up in base) because these will lay a foundation for movement in your near future. With regard to guard control, you must understand that guard control is one of the most difficult areas within Jiu Jitsu training, and, it is not easily obtained. Many who are very good at guard control have put in a minimum of two to three years JUST working on their ability to control from the guard. So as you can see my friend, Jiu Jitsu is a fascinating and frustrating art. While it does has many components that are fun and fascinating to train, there are other components that are just downright frustrating for a lengthy period of time - and guard control is one of those areas. Keep working on your guard control my friend (circling feet, circling knees, hip movement, pushing wih your arms, hooking with your feet, etc...). With a few hundred hours of disciplined / focused training under your belt, your guard control will get better. Roy Harris
5/12/06 5:53 PM
objective12

Edited: 12-May-06
Thanks Roy.
5/14/06 1:26 PM
beauregard

Edited: 14-May-06
objective12, As someone who has been in your situation I would like to say that what Mr. Harris has written, if taken to heart, will help you for many years. He may not have given you the answer that you want but his answer is the truth. If you get a chance re-read it and remember it. It will help you as you get more experience. Seamus
5/14/06 6:53 PM
lautaro

Edited: 14-May-06
I was just doing some guard controlling drills today and my partner (who is a beginner) was getting frustrated because I was passing his guard with ease. He asked what mistakes he was making that was making it so easy for me to pass. It was hard for me to answer because I simply have SO much more experience than him. He's much bigger than me, so by his logic he should be doing better against me, but I've been grappling for years. When it comes to guard passing and guard control, even I still have a very LONG way to go. The guard is such a complex game that it'll take me several more years before I can begin to feel "comfortable" with it. Keep at it and don't give up! Give it time and you'll definitely notice the difference when you train against beginners. Lautaro
5/15/06 3:28 PM
m.g
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-May-06
Excellent thread!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.