UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> Quest. For Rory regarding style.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

5/7/06 8:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
vqchuang
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-May-06

First off Rory, you are the man. THis was a question that came up in the TUF3 forum and I was hoping that Rory would be able to answer. How often (if ever) do you use the CM standup techniques and AntiGNP guard in your fights? I can understand "if it aint broke dont fix it", so im sure that anyone who has previous experience would just use anything they are most comfortable with. The next question is for SBG guys in general. Are there any MMA videos of people who have been "born and bred" through the SBG curriculum and show use of some of the more unique techniques? Thank you for time -vqchuang
5/7/06 10:02 AM
Mike Sweeney

Can you define "unique techniques?"
5/7/06 6:54 PM
vqchuang

Things that I have never seeen from any place other than SBG. Such as CM Anti GNP guard (altho Dennis Kang did do something like it)
5/7/06 7:25 PM
Mike Sweeney

vqchuang: I am not sure what you mean by CM anti- GNP guard. IMO there is no such thing. The closest thing would be what Kavanagh called the "3 zones of death." A CM type of structure is used at one of those ranges to defend shots until the opponent can be broken down into a tighter closed guard (sometimes rubber guard) or is kicked away to disengage. You might have seen my wife Rebecca do that in her fight, if it had ever gone to the ground with her on the bottom. She did use CM well to defend during the stand-up clashes. I don't have video of that but it will be on TSN in July if you want to see it.
5/7/06 10:00 PM
Rory Singer
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you watch my KOTC fight with Wilson Goveia you will see that I utilized the CM with much effect.
5/7/06 10:08 PM
Mike Sweeney

You know, I just reread your initial post and see that I confused what you said. You said CM AND AntiGNP guard. So by AntiGNP, you were probably referring to the spider-guard defense that Matt teaches, right?
5/7/06 11:07 PM
Matt Thornton
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The spider guard I teach for anti GnP is a pretty well known fundamental. Watch the Nog vs Coleman fight for one example of it's use. Our fighters use it all the time. www.straightblastgym.com
5/8/06 2:45 AM
vqchuang

Edited: 08-May-06
Thank you rory, mike and matt for ur responses. I will track down those fights.
5/11/06 1:34 PM
AFTC
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-May-06
Yes It Hurts - fight gear
What KOTC was it Rory?????
5/11/06 1:42 PM
Mike Sweeney

Edited: 11-May-06
KOTC 32-Bringing Heat (from Sherdog)

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.