UnderGround Forums

Japan UnderGround >> Barnett is Made for Japan

9/1/02 5:39 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Circus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Sep-02 08:51 PM

This will not be some well composed essay. But I will try to share some interesting things I had when the Japanese forum members(Griffon, Dragon and I) and some Japanese fans took him to a Tokyo tour. He likes anime ! "likes" is an understatement. His knowledge about anime is absurd. He probably knows more than the average Japanese anime geeks about anime. When we went to anime shopp, he was enjoying the place like a kid. He said he could easily stay there for a day. He took literally 20 minutes to pass a small aisle. He kept asking questions to us more than we could handle. How could we know the names of characters from a TV show of more than 20 years ago. I found a cool Godzilla figure. It looked kind of sophiscated. It was the first time for me to talk to him. I showed it to him, "Do you like this?". He just looked at it with a smile and studied it for literally 20 secs. He said, "This one is really good. I actually already have two Godzilla figures." Oh, my god! We were planning to take him to 3 different places, but we ended up going to only 2 places. Josh spent way too long at the first shop. We literally had pull him out from the shop. He kept saying he wanted to buy the whole damn shop. He said, "I will buy the shop when I win the Pride Granprix" with a big smile. He broght many figures to the counter. He carefully checked his wallet and counted Japanese bills, but only to find out he cant afford them all. Poor champ! He had to drop a 15,000 yen(app.$110) Devil Man figure and some other small figures. I dont know what else he bought, but he still bought many figures, which I probably cant identify. We went to a Chinese restaurant. He used chop sticks easily. He loved the food. We had a gyoza(kind of like small egg rolls) plate. He ate one. He recommended me one. He seemed to like gyoza. There was one gyoza left. He says, "I really hate to eat the last one." looking hesitent He really looked like he wanted to eat the last one. I dont remember who ate the last one. He avidly talked about Japanese prowrestling. He even said Takada is his hero. Too bad, I had already made some Takada jokes by then. One was when he said Sakuraba didnt seem to be focused on the ring, and I said, "Sak really needed Takada as his cornerman then.... Not! LOL!" Josh did look annoyed with me then. (continued ...)
9/1/02 5:40 AM
Circus

Edited: 02-Sep-02 02:26 AM
Anyway, at the restaurant, he said he loves UWF International most. He actually own alot of ther video. He said Takada was beautiful those days and too bad he didnt do well in Pride. Josh said he would love to fight under UWFi rules. Tamura is also a hero of his. He said if Pride offers him a fight against Tamura, he will instatly demand UWF rules. He says UWF is a very good way of showing techniques and entertainemnt. Very good balnce of prowrestling and MMA. He seems to miss UWF big time. He said the first thing he wanted to buy in Japan is UWF shoes. Of course he had already bought and been using them in training by then. He loves Japanese prowrestling and he knows Riki Choshu, Shinya Hashimoto, Toshiaki Kawada and everybody else. Amazing! He also says he would love to prowrestle. I said to him, "Do you know TK is going to prowrestle next month?". He said, "Oh, yead. You know what I dont like? He will prowrestle before me!!". Its obvious the man is an easy going nice guy with good sense of humore. But boy, he looked serious then. He never looked tired. He kept joyful during the long hours we were together. He candidly did all our favors -- taking pictures, signing autographs, etc. He treated us not only as fans, but also as friends. He is not the type of fighter who I have to wonder if he remembers my name when we see next time. I can easily say, "Josh! How have you been? That fight was great!! " and start a conversation. We had a great time. The time was not only exciting, but also easy. If you spend a long time with fighters, you usually get tired. But with Josh, I can guarantee you can spend days with him, and you wont get tired. He is just a next door friendly anime geek trapped in a big body with a special ability to fight. Too bad we had to split, because he had to go to Budokan soon in order to see All Japan Prowrestling where Bill Goldberg was planning to fight. Josh is made for Japan. This guy really is...
9/1/02 5:41 AM
Circus

Edited: 01-Sep-02
From: saksmybitch Date: 01-Sep-02 05:29 AM does Josh like Gatchaman and Yamato? -------------------------------------------------- From: Circus Date: 01-Sep-02 05:36 AM saksmybitch, Probably yes. We had one Japanese guy who has some knowledge of the Japanese anime, but no way could he talk to Josh about anime. His knowledge was deep and broad. He knew all the stuff I used to see on TV when I was a kid.
9/1/02 5:43 AM
Circus

Edited: 01-Sep-02 05:54 AM
saksmybitch, I screwed up the title. So I deleted the thread and remade this thread with my mighty admin power! Pardon.
9/1/02 5:52 AM
saksmybitch

no problem
9/1/02 5:58 AM
Circus

Edited: 01-Sep-02 05:58 AM
Go to this thread to see the pictures DragonHead took.
9/1/02 1:26 PM
silvergun

Nice Circus, I enjoyed that read. How did you get to spend a day with Josh if I may ask ?
9/1/02 1:46 PM
Circus

silvergun, Thank you! I dont know. I heard Griphon set up the anime-shop tour for Josh. I was invited at the last minute. Very lucky for me!
9/1/02 2:48 PM
silvergun

Edited: 01-Sep-02 02:48 PM
Wow, very lucky indeed! I think the people over at sherdog might enjoy seeing those pictures and reading your story. It would be cool if you could post them over there, or if you can't, I could do it for you. If not, then I guess I can direct them here :)
9/1/02 4:31 PM
s98ronin

Many of the best MMA guys that I have trained with have been a bit goofy or nerdy. Very few have had a bad boy kinda image... Yeah Josh seems like a pretty cool dude. But I still hope that Mino will show him who´s the best fighter in the world...
9/1/02 6:35 PM
Elvis
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh is way cool. Elvis
9/1/02 8:22 PM
Circus

silvergun, you can post this anywhere. Actually, I am planning to move this to UG after the event. I dont want them to know he will fight in Pride, yet.
9/1/02 8:23 PM
Circus

Elvis, we can take you to a romo tour, then.
9/1/02 9:01 PM
silvergun

Cool Circus, I was waiting for your approval before posting anything... I will give proper credit to you and dragonhead for the pics, Thanks!
9/2/02 1:06 AM
Circus

Edited: 02-Sep-02
ttt
9/2/02 1:14 AM
Naughty Gorilla

LOL
9/2/02 2:16 AM
Majic Sam
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OK,maybe Joshua isn't such a roid crazed geek afterall,or maybe that's just it!I don't know anymore...
9/2/02 2:28 AM
MMA Monkey

omg josh barnett is an anime fan?? he has gained a fan-for-life right this second.
9/2/02 2:33 AM
Circus

He was cool. I think most of fighters want to go to Roppongi night clubs, but Josh seemed to like anime shops much more.
9/2/02 3:29 AM
Circus

ttt
9/2/02 8:15 PM
JointLock

Excellent post Circus! You, dragonhead, and Gryphon are lucky bastards for getting to hang with Josh for a day.
9/2/02 8:25 PM
Circus

JointLock, thank you! Yup, we are very lucky. That is corrrrrect!
9/3/02 9:07 AM
Circus

Edited: 03-Sep-02
ttt
9/11/02 3:10 AM
Binary Code

Edited: 11-Sep-02
"Elvis, we can take you to a romo tour, then." lol!! circus is hilarious great post
9/11/02 11:41 AM
Circus

Edited: 11-Sep-02
Thanks, Binary! Actually Elvis is correct. Josh IS way cool.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.