UnderGround Forums

Florida Underground >> MMA/BJJ in Destin/Niceville

5/7/06 3:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lucificate
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-May-06 03:51 PM

Hey, I just moved back to my hometown for the summer to work and I need a place to train in NW Florida around Destin, Fort Walton Beach, Niceville, etc. If anyone trains up here or knows of any place to train or anyone to just roll with on an informal basis, please let me know! I just talked with some guy out in Navarre who wants 15 bucks just to show up and see how they are. I can't really deal with crap like that.
5/16/06 4:24 PM
nova1

Edited: 16-May-06
lucificate, I been here for a few weeks.. Hooked up with people who train BJJ/MMA and JUDO here in Ft Walton.. I usually train with these guys when i'm in town.. Never heard of the guy in Navarre.. 15 bucks to check it out? thats crazy.. Probably a Mc Dojo.. Hit me up with a e-mail and i'll pass my number on to you.. -Vince Threeeighty@gmail.com
6/3/06 7:38 PM
Lucificate

Edited: 03-Jun-06 07:38 PM
Still looking for a place around here. I checked out nova1's suggestion but it ends up they just do judo there (with gi and bowing to "sensei" and all that). I guess they quit the MMA there. So once again, if anyone has any idea of a school or just informal group that gets together to train around here, or even just wants to learn or roll with me at their own mat space some where, let me know. Im dying here not getting to practice!
6/11/06 8:29 PM
nova1

Edited: 11-Jun-06
They do Judo..but they do BJJ as well.. did you ask? There is a guy who goes there by the name of Danny Ruiz who is into MMA.. when he is there they do MMA stuff.. Yeah the bowing stuff does suck.. guess thats why i haven't shown up either..lol shoot me an e-mail if you would like to train i know a place with mats..
6/15/06 12:00 AM
bigmills008
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Jun-06 02:39 PM
Danny Ruiz is a bad dude. I know they do MMA training on Sundays not sure about the other days. They have specific days where all they do is BJJ or Judo. Pensacola Boxing Academy has BJJ and boxing classes Monday through Friday. Pedro Sauer affiliate school. No Gi on Monday and Friday. Gi on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Phone number is 850-458-0008.
2/9/08 12:04 AM
rauntu

Edited: 09-Feb-08
MMA Shack is open and located in Cordova mall the owner is my brother Dean. If you have any questions about where to train in P'cola or just want to buy some gear go talk to him!
2/9/08 4:09 PM
ClayK

Edited: 09-Feb-08
+1 for Danny Ruiz being a bad dude. Train with him if you can.
3/29/08 12:25 AM
Lucificate

Edited: Apr 5 2008 12:00A
Figured I would readdress this topic in case it could help someone else.

After a lot of time living back in NW Florida I have finally found a couple good places to train in the Ft. Walton and Crestview areas.

First is a guy named Sammy Collingwood. He runs a lot of amateur events in the NW Florida and southern Alabama area. He has a big house with a big ass nice cage in the garage and is pretty nice about having people out there to train. It is very informal, just fight practice really, but Sammy has a ton of heart and energy and strength - and his technique isn't bad and is improving. There is a general lower level of ground skill out there, but some of us who have made it out occasionally are pretty decent so you can get a good workout in if you're up to it. It isn't a public school though so you would probably need to get to know him a bit.[p]Second is a formal BJJ school. Just opened, and sounded like a bullshido dojo to begin with. The guy who runs it claims a ton of black belts in various martial arts, and to have developed a system called L.I.N.E. for the military. His son is also full of black belts and basically teaches the classes there. Name is Michael Donvito. School is in Mary Esther out past Hurlburt field. Michael Donvito is a BJJ black belt and from what I can tell pretty damn skilled. His black belt is under Carlos Machado, and Carlos Machado is having a seminar at his school this weekend or next.

I have only been out there to roll once. The experience was OK. He does have contracts I believe, I think he charges like 100/month. It may be less, I can't remember exactly. I think he told me if I wanted to head out 4x/month it would be 40 bucks.

I got a little bit of an odd vibe from him. He got onto me about leg locks and said he would let me know when I could do leg locks at his school. I mean, i realize it is his school and his rules and all that - it was just something about his tone. I think he failed to detect my sarcasm when I said that I hated passing guard and just wanted to do leg locks.

I got used to training with a great group of guys in Gainesville that I now miss a lot - F2 with Mike Lee, Jason Dolder, Jason Braswell, etc. Laid back atmosphere, lots of free rolling, no ego, everyone rolled, even the instructors. I never saw this guy roll. I know he is better than me and all that, but he just had this air about him. Maybe people just do that when they are black belts that run schools - I don't have any real experience with that. He does Gi and no Gi, btw. I think it was mon, wed, fri = gi, tues, thurs, sat = no gi. I'd recommend checking it out. If you don't already have a great experience some place that will sour the formal black belt instruction, I'm sure you wouldn't have the issues I had with it. Shit I am sure I will be out there with some frequency. He is a friendly guy - just a little.... different than I am used to.

Just wanted to point out that there is a growing amount of MMA/BJJ in the NW Florida area I guess. I am glad I have a way to get some practice in. Really lost touch with everyone I knew in Gainesville when I got into studying for the bar and have been real depressed for the past year or so without being able to train.

Contact me on aim at Lucificate if you're in the area and interested in training.
4/5/08 4:12 AM
Vexed

Edited: Apr 5 2008 12:00A
If anyone wants more info www.donvitosmartialarts.com Come in get a week free and see how you like it. I teach Stand-up there MON-WED @ 6pm, For more details call the number on the site or leave me a message on myspace. www.myspace.com/strongholdmma
4/6/08 2:55 PM
RODRIBS
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 6 2008 12:00A

Tommy, your alive!!!!!!!!!!!  How is life treating you these days?  Congrats too, I never got to really tell you.  FYI guys.  Tommy started up training years and years ago and used to come into practice out of shape and a long pony tail.  We all thought he was crazy and wouldn't last long.  Soon after he turned into someone looking like they should be on Mens Health and Fitness, a wizard on the mats, great partner and coach and just graduated from law school.

Hey man, I just read all that and have to say to try Danny Ruiz's school again.  Make sure hes there that night though.  Hes a good guy and has been in the game forever too. 

4/7/08 4:10 PM
josepgcau

Edited: Apr 7 2008 12:00A

Hey Lucificate, I am from that area and had to move away to pursue some training....

I recently went back and was not able to train... I trained with Sammy a while ago too, before he fought.

Never got to train with Danny, though I would like to. Another guy I trained with is Pat anatansio.... I think he might be at the donvitos.... do not know, but a great guy, always busy being a doc though....

its always hard leaving one gym and getting acustom to another....

send me your number, next time I am in town we can get with sammy and pat to roll

josepgcau@yahoo.com

eventually i will make it by danny's to introduce myself....

4/7/08 7:28 PM
Lucificate

Edited: Apr 7 2008 12:00A
Hey Mike, surprised anyone noticed my post here. I just sorta disappeared from Gainesville so I figure everyone out there thinks I hate 'em now - but that couldn't be further from the truth.

I actually haven't had a chance to go to Danny Ruiz school, I know he has rolled with some guys out here but has never been around when I have been anywhere. My post above is basically about Michael Donvito's school. Like I say, obviously a very good jiu jitsu instructor, just more formal than I am used to.

Josepgcau,

Actually, I have rolled with Pat Anastasio, (Dr. Anastasio) and also gone out to his house for chess club night =) He has introduced me to some doctors in the area that play a lot of chess and I have been out to some of their (incredibly nice) houses to play chess on occasion.

I think Pat is the best guy I have ever rolled against. If I remember correctly he is a brown belt in BJJ. He is also incredibly strong, as strong as the strongest guy I was used to in Gainesville I think. Tons of energy as well. I think he is also what, 40? Crazy.

It has definitely been nice to learn there is some MMA community in this neck of the woods and I will shoot you my number for when you're in the area.
5/16/08 1:44 AM
rauntu

Anyone have experience with Pat Vito or Mike Donvito in P'cola. I am moving there from hawaii need a place to train.
5/16/08 3:42 PM
rauntu

ttt
1/9/09 4:28 PM
josepgcau

Donvito is not p'cola exactly... eglin afb.... in between fort walton and navarre

Pat... might be Pat Anastancio .... he is training with donvito if I am not mistaken... I have trained with pat and he is a beast, I hear donvito is excellent as well
1/8/11 11:39 PM
radnads

Edited: 01/08/11 11:40 PM
Mike Donvito is a different breed. I am a purple belt under him and Carlos, he's personality is a little "off" to say the least but I swear if you stick around he will warm up to you and eventually treat you like family. He does have a sense of humor I promise.
1/13/11 5:58 PM
Lucificate

surprised this old thread got a bump.

Been training with Danny Ruiz at his school, Capitao BJJ/MMA in Fort Walton since this past summer. Great place, great team, lot of guys with good skill. Two black belt instructors (Danny Ruiz and Daniel Silva).

It is definitely more formal than I was used to but I can deal with the gi and belts and bowing at the end of class and stuff for such a high level of instruction. I have a hard time with formality and authority and all that so it took some getting used to =)

Danny and Daniel roll with the class (and Danny trains for fights) so you know they're good when they teach you things. Not some "untouchable aura of the master" bullshit going on.

Great attendance at classes with a lot of scheduling options. MMA, BJJ, Judo, JJJ, and maybe some more stuff with the expansion of the school thats happening.

Definitely the place to train in NW Florida if you're in the area.
1/18/11 12:38 PM
mfarouk

Pat Vito is awesome!!I train with alex silva rua and m loving it.. Been there for 3 months and m improving like i never been before the guy is a BEAST!!google the name and u ll find us easily!! Phone Post
1/18/11 12:39 PM
mfarouk

Pensacola 9th ave Phone Post
3/28/11 11:43 AM
jrh3

bump for Capitao, fyi they have website at http://www.capitaomma.com
4/2/11 9:46 AM
1up

Danny is AWESOME!! A good friend of mine.
Try his place again. Also if you get a Chance go down to
Panama City Beach,Fl And roll with Carlos Cummings
The only sambo school in the state of Florida! If you like leg locks!

www.CummingsCombatSambo.com

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.