UnderGround Forums

TattooGround >> norse tattoo question again!

5/9/06 7:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dracovich
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-May-06 07:52 PM

well i finally stopped being a bum living of student loans only and got a part time job :) So might be getting some extra cash next month, so who knows i might have some extra money to throw around, and get the tattoo i've been thinking about for a good while. You may perhaps remember my question from over a year ago on this thread. The Ægishjálmur is pretty much still what i'm thinking about, i've been looking at the stuff this guy guy does, specializes in norse stuff. Taking to heart the suggestion from the previous thread about getting it on the ball of the shoulder, and getting some inspiration from the tattoo's in Erik's collection, i've kinda been considdering to get a slightly rugged looking Ægishjálmur, so it kinda looks like it was carved/chizzled rather then done with a ruler, something along these lines: And i've been thinking about getting something to "encase" it so to speak, kinda to give it more of a texture and make it pop a bit more. Saw these things that Erik had also made: And some from his college Colin Dale So i'm thinking maybe i can combine those "frames" and the magic rune and put it on the shoulder. I'm kinda nervous about the whole thing though, not the pain, just the fact of getting something that parmenent, though call! Not sure if that design would work, so PLEASE do critque it all you want (or praise if you're so inclined :) ). Think i'll just start with that though, i did think about perhaps getting something around the frame, like a norse dragon or something, but i figured i can always get that at a later time so i might as well start with just this and see how it goes (plus i won't be getting much money so i'll propably keep it small and simple).
5/9/06 8:05 PM
Yuki

Edited: 09-May-06

If it has meaning to YOU, then it's a good choice.

5/9/06 8:11 PM
dracovich

well it has meaning to me since i'm from Iceland and it's a norse magic found in Icelandic scripture, wanted to get something related to my heritage etc. But it's not like i'm getting my kids name or anything :) I'm slightly deterred though after reading a thread on Subfighter.com where people seemed to think that Joachim Hansen was a skinhead because he shaved his head and had runic/norse tattoos. Aparently some spiderweb tattoo contributed as well, but it just seemed crazy taht norse tattoo was suddenly = white power.
5/9/06 8:20 PM
Yuki

Eh, fuck what people think. I have Thors hammer tattooed on my arm and I have had people make comments that it's racist. But those people don't know me and I could care less if they think I'm racist.

Funny thing is, I can't recall anyone but white people making those comments.

5/10/06 6:42 AM
dracovich

Edited: 10-May-06
Cool, yeah i'm not 100% sure on having it raised, getting it alone on the ball of the shoulder would be fine too as well (and cheaper), but i'm guessing if i get it put in all black there, then it'll be hard to put the frame on later (seems that most forms are done in white and then shaded aroudn). Not sure if it'd come out well if i did it that way. I really like this one though: since it looks like it's kinda embossed into the skin, not sure if i could make it work with the rune though. They need to make programs so i can see how it'd look finished first lol. Still waiting until the first of next month to see if i get a decent amount of money or not.
5/10/06 9:37 PM
The Illustrated Man

Edited: 10-May-06
I like the stipiling on the that one. The first symbol would be cool if you did it just like it is with that chisled, carved look. I think it could work out if you encased it with a little shading or that stipling..or all by itself would be cool also. One thing I could suggest, get what you want and don't worry about getting something a certain way if it would be 'cheaper'...you can always go back for different sessions if you need to. Tattoos are one of the only things in life you can pay for once and get to keep for the rest of your life. Good luck
5/11/06 11:47 AM
dracovich

Edited: 11-May-06
hehe yeah you're right, it's not like it's millions of dollars so i should propably just man up and get a loan if it's more expensive then i assumed (i'm thinking i got around 300$ to spend), i just hate taking loans. "The first symbol would be cool if you did it just like it is with that chisled, carved look. I think it could work out if you encased it with a little shading or that stipling..or all by itself would be cool also" Do you think you can do that with it if it's black, or would the symbol itself have to be white for it to work (like the dragons in the picture) ? I'm thinking i'll just setup a time with the guy and get his input on it and get some.
5/19/06 5:15 PM
Ausgepicht

Edited: 19-May-06
Nice Ink on this Thread. I dig the Shading. I actually have the Ægishjálmur on my left Wrist. I have 6 Viking Runes on my Hands, Wrists, and Feet. Ottastafur, Ginfaxi, Ægishjálmur,...can't recall the other Icelandic Names. Most done with a Magnum to make it look chiseled. Coincidentally enough, I also decided when I got them to have them put on "ruggedly" so as to appear to have been inked a thousand Years ago. Akin to: I like your Idea of "encasing" it and giving it that chiseled Look. Be sure to post the finished Work! -Joe
5/19/06 6:47 PM
dracovich

Edited: 19-May-06
I had thought about Gapaldur and Ginfaxi, since they're wrestling runes and all, but one of them is basicly a swastika and figured i'd get tired in the long run explaining to people that it's got nothing to do with nazism. Now i'm just waiting for my payday to see if i can realisticly do this :)
5/25/06 1:10 PM
dracovich

Edited: 25-May-06
Well, i tried ordering a time today, he wasn't there until tomorrow, so i'll try again then. I'm pretty set on getting it anyway so i'll post it in a new thread once i get it :) Only think i'm kinda thinking over now, is that we got a brown belt coming over on the 14th (and i leave the country late in june), so i'd hate to waste the oppertunity to get some great rolls in because i have a new tattoo :( Hopefully i can get one just before i fly home so i don't miss any training.
6/12/06 4:19 PM
dracovich

Edited: 12-Jun-06
Slight update, got a time on the 28th, and sent an email to my uncle who was like the Bishop for the Norse religion (Æðstigoði) in Iceland for a few years, just to make sure the symbol is kosher and such, got the green light from him. Will post pics when it's done.
1/4/09 12:29 AM
Seamus619

12/15/09 4:10 AM
PembrokePinesVillain

make it looked stamped in. the only time i like symbols on people (hebrew, arabic, japanese) is when it looks imprinted, like someone stamped it into stone. it looked dope

for the life of me i cant find any good pics online, this is what im talking about, but ive seen way better, where it looked all cracked and stuff, like concrete

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.