UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Worthless majors?

5/10/06 11:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Vit0r
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-May-06

Besides english, what else should incoming freshman steer clear of?
5/10/06 3:18 PM
Willybone
391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

History, unless you want to be an academic.

Psychology, because it means you're straight up crazy.
5/10/06 9:08 PM
plan9records

I would like someone to show me the worth of an anthropology or geography major. I know nothing about the fields but my gut says not useful.
5/10/06 9:47 PM
Logic Rules

International Business Philosophy Most Liberal arts degrees.
5/10/06 10:33 PM
HellfireMk

I second psychology and philosophy. Also, art, music, dance, anything human rescources related (not that you couldnt find a job with it, but those are the most fucking useless, worhtless pieces of shit I have ever seen), political science, speech, early childhood education (congradulations, you are now qualified to babysit 3 year olds), and theater.
5/10/06 11:51 PM
pa10002

any major lots of liberals are attracted to
5/11/06 1:20 AM
Gortiz

Edited: 11-May-06
What do political science majors do after graduating? Work for a politician, I assume? Are there enough jobs per the number of graduates?
5/11/06 8:27 AM
OctaviousBP

I imagine most with a poli. sci. degree wish to work for the government, but not all. It depends if you've combined majors. Someone with a poli. sci./journalism degree could become a pundit. Law school after can lead to a career in international law. But poli. sci. grads aren't limited to government. There are a gazillion NGOs that you could work for, as well as international institutions. The UN if it is an MA. I'm not a PS major, but closely related, and I work for an NGO, and I love my job. Next year I will be working (knock-on-wood...) in Southeast Asia, living the good life, and getting paid to do it!
5/11/06 3:47 PM
salsero

Edited: 11-May-06 04:16 PM
It depends on how you look at it. Seeking a credential to enter a specific profession is different than simply getting a degree, IMO. If you want to be technical, two-year tech. degrees and other trade cert. programs are often more financially lucrative in the short term without the corresponding level of debt. Why? You're trained for a specific job, and you start working sooner. Most liberal arts or science undergraduate degrees don't train you to enter a profession, per se. But people earn degrees for many different reasons, and determining worth is an individual thing.
5/11/06 8:30 PM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"You can only get the shitty job of HS teacher" Why is that a "shitty job"? You get three months off every year, are rarely at work past 5, make OK money (median 44K in the state of NY, for example), and are unfireable if you last 10 years. Sounds like a sweet gig ot me. If I wasn't as opposed to our school system as I am, I'd be tempted to get into it myself.
5/12/06 5:32 AM
Revolver of Reason

Edited: 12-May-06
"you get three months off every year," this is true, but they are paid accordingly in most areas. they just get their paychecks staggered so they get some money over the summer. most teachers work summer jobs for their first few years. "are rarely at work past 5," not true at all. after-school duties like detention and helping kids after class usually cut into at least a hour and a half after school officially gets out. that can go into several hours if a kid doesn't have their ride pick them up like they are supposed to, etc. then you have to spend time at school doing lesson plans for the next day, assorted other stuff, etc. which eats into more time. you can also be roped into attending athletic games and other non-teaching-related school functions on a mandatory basis, and there's always PTA/other assorted and relevant functions I'm not gonna say you can't be out the door by 3PM regularly, because some teachers are, but you have to luck out with regards to assigned responsibilities, be very very junior, and just flat out not do a bunch of shit you are supposed to. "make OK money (median 44K in the state of NY, for example)," depends on the area. my parents make about 37k each with a Master's and the education degree before Ed.D and after Master's, respectively. and they are about as senior as you can get. if you are starting as a teacher, the pay is not sufficent to raise a family without working summer jobs + doing periodic night work, or marrying someone in a better paying job. and I live in a pretty cheap area of the country. "and are unfireable if you last 10 years." a lot of places are getting rid of tenure for teachers these days. IIRC, Georgia no longer has any tenure for K-12 teachers. the big attraction of teaching these days is government insurance programs - you get really good insurance, especially health insurance.
5/12/06 10:34 PM
HellfireMk

Edited: 12-May-06
"If you want only job skills then go to community college." Why waste your money on that? You wont get job skills of any kind at a community college.
5/13/06 2:35 PM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-May-06 03:34 PM
"i didnt learn to think rationally until college but what really has honed my critical thinking skills is arguing on the internet and reading all the different perspectives. no joke" I agree. "You wont get job skills of any kind at a community college." Do you seriously believe that?
5/13/06 3:24 PM
HellfireMk

Edited: 13-May-06
"Do you seriosuly believe that?" i know that.
5/13/06 3:59 PM
Gortiz

HellfireMk, I'd have to disagree with you, at least partially. At community colleges, people can learn to be bookkeepers, murses, PT Aides, etc. All are skills that make someone employable.
5/13/06 4:57 PM
HellfireMk

whats a murse? just messing with you. but anything that is taught in a community college is taught at least 100% better at a real college. I have half a dozen or so friends that went to community colleges for the first 2 years of their college career and it was just a waste of money. they didnt learn 1/3 of the material they should have, and half of the material was just flat out WRONG. And they arent stupid, they made good grades. But then they transfered up to a real college and struggled because all the stuff they should already know was taught to them by a bunch of retards. And seriously, a bookkeeper? people have to learn how to keep books?
5/13/06 8:38 PM
Buddhadev

"And seriously, a bookkeeper? people have to learn how to keep books?" I remember when a bunch of my friends were talking about running out and getting some beer and buffalo wings. This one blonde chick spouts out, "Buffalo wings? I think it's gross to eat buffalos!"
5/14/06 1:08 AM
HellfireMk

Edited: 14-May-06
heh, well, i think you know what i meant instead of sounding like something that jessica simpson said.
5/14/06 3:56 PM
Gortiz

HellfireMK, I see where you're coming from, but it also depends on the CC; they are not all created equal. At a CC near me, all of the credits are transferrable if you finish an associates degree. And the regular colleges in NJ have a program with the CC for their students to take classes there. People who do want to go there should make ABSOLUTELY sure ALL their credits are transferrable, or they could be screwed out of $$$ when they do try to transfer to a 4 yr college.
5/14/06 4:26 PM
HellfireMk

the community college my friends went to had most/all of the credits transfer as well. The reason most of them went was to get the basics out of the way there since it was cheaper at the community college. Didnt work out to well for them, at least from my perspective. They did save money at first. but then the saved money was lost when they had to retake courses at the real college that they either dropped or did very poorly in because the community college did a poor job teaching them things they need to know for the mid-upper level classes.
5/15/06 5:23 AM
Liyon
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-May-06
If you're going the community college route, I would take all the classes that don't involve your major, then take classes that are part of your major at a 4-year institution.
5/18/06 4:55 PM
JElizabeth

Edited: 18-May-06
This message is for OctaviousBP if they still read this. I am actually starting to pursue a masters in International Relations. I know that the university that i attend will have resources for post grad employment opportunities, but since you are out there in the "real world" i figured that i would ask your advice. What are the best resources for searching for a position at an NGO? I am definitley considering the UN as well as Amnesty international to work for, but was wondering what else could i do to make sure that i achieve a position in this field?
5/20/06 5:38 PM
quamrh

Edited: 20-May-06
Criminal justice because you have to go to the police academy anyway.
5/23/06 6:03 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 23-May-06
"This message is for OctaviousBP if they still read this. I am actually starting to pursue a masters in International Relations. I know that the university that i attend will have resources for post grad employment opportunities, but since you are out there in the "real world" i figured that i would ask your advice. What are the best resources for searching for a position at an NGO? I am definitley considering the UN as well as Amnesty international to work for, but was wondering what else could i do to make sure that i achieve a position in this field?" Attend a 10 top IR program, write/publish thesis, speak foreign language(s), do internships, study abroad, and volunteer.
5/23/06 4:57 PM
Gracie killar
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-May-06
sociology languages imo

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.