UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> John Rawls/Michael Sandel

5/10/06 4:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TolsmaFCF
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-May-06

I have a Democratic Citizenship final due tomorrow that I have been stuck on for a week. The question I am to write a 1-2 page paper on is, "What is John Rawlss theory of the original position? Are the merits of Rawls' liberal approach sufficient to outweigh Michael Sandel's critique?" I feel comfortable that I have successfully answered what the original position is but can't think of what to write. The articles used to answer this question are Sandel's "The Procedural Republic and the Unencumbered Self" and Rawls' "Justice of Fairness". Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is a large part of my grade. "In a comparative essay on the articles by Madsen and Gilens show the similarities between the Puritans of the Massachusetts Bay Colony's beliefs about Indians and the secualr ideas about black Americans that are expressed by opponents of increases in welfare expenditures in the U.S. today." I also have to write a 1-2 pg in regards to that. Article Madsen's "Origins: Exceptionalism and American Cultural Identity" and Gilens' "Racial Attitudes, the Undeserving Poor, and Opposition to Welfare". Thanks a ton in advance for any information on the two topics. I've been hardcore stressing for the past week about these.
5/10/06 5:52 PM
Indrek R.
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You probably mean "Justice as fairness" by Rawls. In this case that is kinda strange cause Rawls´s theory in JAF was very different from his theory in Theory of Justice towards which Sandel´s critique is directed. And the essay question is also kinda .... strange to say at least. Can the merits of Rawls´s position outweigh a critique that says that Rawls has wrong philosophical assumptions? Merits outweigh a critique??? I am puzzled. Merits from whose viewpoint? I think the question could be: was Sandel´s critique justified, correct, well argued. You might want to check out the second chapter of "Realizing Rawls" by Thomas Pogge for a defence of Rawls against Sandel (Pogge claims Sandel develops his critique from Nozick´s misreading of Rawls but Pogge makes quite a lot of mistakes interpreting Nozick himself IMO).
5/10/06 8:20 PM
TolsmaFCF
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The professor is 100% full of shit. That's how she worded the question and all that. I think I got what she wanted for the first question, how bout the second?
5/11/06 5:10 AM
Indrek R.
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-May-06 05:30 PM
I would get her to specify what she exactly wants.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.