UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> I just got my B.A In Philosophy..

6/1/06 10:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Six of Swords
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Jun-06
Re: Tibetan lama's neural activity and happiness. The research was performed by a team led by Richard Davidson out of U of WI - Madison. As with all conclusions drawn from neural imaging-to-behavior experiments, results are correlational but still quite compelling. In short, positive affect seems to be associated fairly strongly with the degree of activity shown in the left prefrontal cortex. Conversely, a relatively high degree of right prefrontal cortex activity tends to correlate with negative emotions. One Tibetan practicioner's start-point left prefrontal activity was more extreme than anyone's previously measured. The researchers concluded that this was one very happy monk. This research has borne fruit in controlled studies with previously non-practicing meditators. A mere two months of training allows a significant shift toward left prefrontal activity versus that of a control group. ~d[2]
6/28/06 10:28 PM
Subadie

Edited: 28-Jun-06
Sanguine You're in a position I was in a few years back. I ended up just taking advantage of my acquired analytical skill, acing the LSAT, and going to law school. Now I'm a lawyer like most of my other philosophy major friends. Not much time remains with family and work to read philosophy, but I get a bit in here and there.
6/29/06 12:08 AM
sanguine cynic

Edited: 29-Jun-06
How easy was it for you to get a job as a lawyer? How hard is the workload? How difficult is law school. On a scale of 1-10 my work ethic is a 1.5.
6/29/06 8:01 AM
Subadie

Edited: 29-Jun-06
I think we have something in common here too. Regarding my work ethic, it should suffice to say that I was fired from almost every job I ever had from the time I was 16 until I opened my own practive 5 months after graduation. My grades were not great in college, but with about 97%ile on the LSAT I was able ot get into a good law school, where I got "gentleman C" grades. I did take the GRE and did about 97%ile, but got rejected from the only philosophy program I applied to (Duke), and the one graduate school in Psychology that I applied to. I was accepted to the one law school I applied to; thus the choice was made for me and I was not condemned to the freedom of making my own choice. YOu might say it was determined for me. Who/What determined it ? perhaps we disagree. Because my only goal was to work for myself, C grades were fine. If you dont want a boss, being a lawyer is a pretty good choice of jobs. You get used to doing the work it require, and I actually do a pretty good job at being in lawyer in a field that I like. Another thing about being a lawyer is the freedom to choose very specific kinds of law that best suit your philosophy of what a lawyer should be. The field I chose permits me to complete work products important and helpful to society as I see it. Many people also hate being a lawyer, but I'm just speaking for myself when I say that I'm happy with my job.
7/7/06 5:04 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 07-Jul-06
"To address DOUGIE and SANGUINE, in regards to the opening up of pandoras box of questions, and the tendency to over analyze, respectively, these are actualy springboards to living in a happier way. IMO through the facilitation of higher mental functioning and capacity leads on to reassess how one lives his life." This would seem to depend on the specific questions you tried to answer. Also, the relative scope and complexity of the question means quite a bit. It's dismissive to say that considering more macabre questions (regardless of reaching a solution) are going to promote happiness.
8/5/06 11:10 PM
Sothy

Edited: 05-Aug-06
congrats I, too, have a BA (albeit in Economics and Religious Studies). These days I find myself doing some reading on my own... if you want to tie everything together, I recommend: Theory of Everything by Ken Wilber. really, after that I read Sex, Ecology, and Spirituality by him, and it really "completed" my BA IMO. sounds strange, I know...(that one book, given how much we read in school, could ever make that much of a difference, but it tied everything together that was swirling around in my head).
8/6/06 5:28 AM
Indrek R.
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Aug-06
SES is much much better than Theory...
8/9/06 4:23 AM
Sothy

Edited: 09-Aug-06
yeah, SES IS much better than Theory of Everything (TOE), but TOE uses Spiral Dynamics to explain thing very easily, and really, when you finished school, did you rush out and read a 800 page book (SES) to celebrate?
11/4/06 1:10 PM
hekster

Edited: 04-Nov-06
Subadie, what kind of law do you do?
2/1/07 4:09 PM
rkjmd

Edited: 01-Feb-07
I did the Philosophy and then law school thing too.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.