UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> How do you Increase "Hustle"

5/15/06 3:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
C-Hamzeh
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-May-06

Hi All, Posted this here as I think there is a mental aspect to this. Many times, let's say in rolling or whatever, I will get caught because I didn't act as soon as I seen or felt something coming on. It's like I get too comfortable and wait a lil too long. Is it just practice? I notice that I do this a lot, and have tried to conciously fix it. Any drills suggested? C
5/15/06 8:27 PM
Taku
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Chad, I am sure others will have some input on this but here is my 2 cents. I was a highly competitive soccer player. I played in college and played a year of professional indoor soccer after college. Early in my development as a soccer player, I felt exactly the same way as you describe in your rolling. I could do the moves with the ball but I was often a step behind where I needed to be to execute effectively. This was so much a part of my early game that some teammates nicknamed me "Slow-Motion". My personal experience with this is it was simply a part of my motor learning. As I was exposed to more and more on field scenarios, I was able to execute at a greater pace. In addition, I was constantly playing so this daily practice was continually contributing to my improved timing etc. Nothing can replace playing the game and experience in the situations that you are going to face. My guess is that you have some bread and butter moves that work for you all the time. It is probably when something new or un-expected is either thrown at you or attempted by you that enhance the feelings of being a step behind. I know that even now, years removed from the height of my competition days I can still pull off my bread and butter moves against all but the most seasoned players. However, if I step out of my comfort zone I will feel those slow motion feelings again. Hope that helps a little. TAKU
5/15/06 10:27 PM
P
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chad, Are you talking about in training or competition? I'm guessing training, but each scenario offers it's own challenges/motivations. My thoughts: If you know what you're supposed to do and don't do it it's an issue of procrastination. Tony dropped that lightbulb on me years ago and it still applies. Do you feel 'un-challenged' or complacent? Ego in check? You'll know the reason. What do you think a good solution might be? You know you better than anybody :-) If you're not sure of the what/when/how then that's a case for ECT or some slow technical rolling to problem solve solutions in advance (Mental Blueprint). Hope this helps. Phil
5/15/06 10:35 PM
C-Hamzeh
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-May-06 10:38 PM
Thanks guys... It's in both competition and training, but much more in comp. I normally do much better when I focus more on just stepping back and "when I see it do it" type of thing. It's not a question of no challenge. When I don't feel challenged at all, I take many more risks =P **sometimes in competition, I will end up trying to slow the guy down as opposed to hustle myself... C
5/18/06 12:00 PM
P

Edited: 18-May-06
Chad, Do you feel you're allowing yourself to perform or are you getting in the way of your performance? Do you 'Inter-FEAR' with yourself? What is your level of concentration in competition and practice? Are you like a fire hose or a sprinkler? :-) Lastly, how closely does your practice mirror what you WANT your performance to be like? By that I mean, do you take your sessions seriously and try to replicate the pressure and stress of the event or do you just 'show up'? Think about the answers you come up with. Hope that Helps, P.
5/19/06 6:09 PM
C-Hamzeh

Edited: 19-May-06
I usually get in the way of my performances.... not in grapplin tournies though, just MMA. I have a fight May 27. I feel much better at this point than I normally do. Mentally and physically. Tomorrow will be my toughest training session, and I intend on taking it seriously. C
6/2/06 12:06 AM
P

Edited: 02-Jun-06
Congrats on your first round TKO Chad! Sounds like you hustled :-) P.
6/2/06 4:14 PM
C-Hamzeh

Edited: 02-Jun-06
lol ya I did.... the offense minded thing helped a lot. C

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.