UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> How to train for sensitivity+flow?

5/16/06 4:03 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hab
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-May-06

Hi all. I have a principal question. How do you train to get kinesthetic sensitivity on your techniques against multiple attackers? (Or rather: my question would be if you have the same experience that I have) We trained in a multiple adversaries scenario. I had much space and one adversary was guarding the exit (his instructions were to not engage until he felt a significant inclination to do so). I hit a guy with a SPEAR (dominant right hand), but I could feel that it wasn't optimal hit (sometimes the padding skids, sometimes you miss center mass, sometimes the timing is off etc). Another person was coming at me from around the right side, so I would be circling to my left. I snapped my first target with a left hook as a follow-up to the SPEAR so that I could duck under his bear grip to the left. I only meant to tag him (for the drill), but I could feel that the hit was terrific. He dropped unconscious. And we kept on fighting. I think this is essential training. I need to react on my kinesthetic feedback on my techniques. I need to feel when a hit is good and when it's not good even before I can visually categorize my aggressors' response, I need to get a sense of his balance, his skills, his strength, his state-of-mind etc. In short, my weapons must also be an extension of my sensory input. It is imperative to my flow. And scripted/acted feedback at half speed just wouldn't cut it, unless the other guy is unrealistically honest and skilled. I know that you need full-speed all-out training, but I sincerely hope that this is just the top of the pyramid. And that there is wider repertoir of less intensive drills. Of course, ALL purposeful drills are relevant, but this particular mix of "sensitivity and flow" that in a real situation will to a great degree depend on your feedback from your own techniques applied close to full force, how do you do it? Or do you have concussions and KO's in your training, too? How far in-between do you train with this intensity?
5/16/06 1:17 PM
Tony Torres

Edited: 16-May-06
Hab, One of the most important developments of Coach Blauer's SPEAR System is that the training is very realistic AND also SAFE. Like in any contact activity there is always the possibility of a knock out or injury ( we have had very few) but these are always incidental or accidental, and while knocking out or injuring your opponent in a streetfight is desirable, they are not the goal of a responsible and intelligently conducted training evolution. All of the drills from the SPEAR System can, with the help of an experienced BTS coach and good role players, be performed at slow speeds and still give you amazing benefits. The next step is to graudually increase the speed and resistance until you are conducting full speed training. Also the drills and formulas Coach Blauer developed can be applied to a single unarmed opponent, single armed opponent, multiple opponents etc. Gradual progression is the key. I hope this helps. Tony Torres Blauer Tactical Systems torres@blauertactical.com
5/20/06 10:17 PM
taroson

Edited: 20-May-06
Hab, If at all possible get to the Scenario Instructor Certification Clinic in Vegas in July. Click on the heading with the same title for further details. Also, if you have not subscribed to Tony's FREE Newsletter, go to his website and do so. Then check out Gary Khoury's article in the February issue entitled: THE MISSING LINK IN SELF DEFENSE TRAINING BALLISTIC MICRO FIGHTS You can also get some further education via DVD. Scenario Training is an art within itself and requires training and education. Tony has been refining the process for close to 30 years now. Take advantage of his know how and you won't believe what you can experience. You can only train for sensitivity and flow by going slow enough at first so that your body can 'learn' what it needs to do through Kinesthetic Perception. Going to fast at first actually allows you to cover up errors and promotes injury. Learn to isolate and stress inoculate through Emotional Climate Training. Learn Replication Theory and how to Be A Good Bad Guy. (DVD's available) Move from static to dynamic, full speed (not power) training evolutions doing BMF's with High Gear. Free form scenarios are usually done more for endurance. They are a necessary component, but not the Holy Grail. One last comment. Whatever training you are doing, you must realize that the Drill is NOT the fight. No matter how hard you are going, or how realistic you are trying to be, SAFETY is THE most important consideration. Any time anyone is hurt or (knocked out) the session is STOPPED. PERIOD. Accidents can and will happen. Negligence is not acceptable. Train Hard But Train Safe. Take Care, Mike Suyematsu

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.