UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Straightblast & Scenarios

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

5/16/06 12:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Alex
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-May-06

Two questions for Blauer guys: 1) Do you recommend the straightblast for streetfighting? 2) Do you train scenarios? If so, what are the common scenarios I should be aware of and training for? Thanks, Alex
5/16/06 12:50 PM
Tony Torres

Alex, The straight blast is a complex motor skill or technique. Like all techniques it may or may not in a given scenario. Scenarios are an integral part of the training of all PDR and SPEAR System Coaches. The scenarios you should be training for depen on your lifestyle, habits, profession etc. I reccommend you visit our website www.blauertactical.com and try to find a PDR coach in your area. You can also get DVD's with information about conducting intelligent, realistic, and safe scenario training. Tony Torres Blauer Tactical Systems torres@blauertactical.com
5/16/06 1:05 PM
Alex

"The straight blast is a complex motor skill or technique. Like all techniques it may or may not in a given scenario." Thanks, but is that a yes or a no about the straightblast?
5/16/06 1:25 PM
Tony Torres

"Thanks, but is that a yes or a no about the straightblast?" It is neither. If the scenario does not present the opportunity for you to use a particular complex motor skill, or if you use a complex motor skill and it does not have the desired results, then said complex motor skill did not work for that particular scenario. This statement is true for the Thai elbow, the Tae Kwon Do side kick, the Jeet Kune Do Straight Blast, The BJJ Rear Naked Choke...so forth and so on. Tony Torres
5/16/06 1:35 PM
Alex

I meant, is it generally considered a legitimate, effective technique by the Blauer community? Few would consider traditional horse stance as an effective posture. Some consider wristlocks to appropiate on occasion, though many don't. Nearly all accept the rear naked as an effective weapon when the opportunity arises. Where would the Straight-blast fit in? Is it a recommended technique? Dubious? Average?
5/16/06 6:13 PM
Paul R

Alex: The SPEAR system does not include "techniques", rather it advocates "tools, targets and tactics" - the tactic being the tool + target. That being said, the SPEAR acts as a bridge to your training, i.e. if you have survived the "ambush" using a primal, protective (or if you are lucky even tactical) SPEAR, then you may be in a position to use the straight blast, a kick, a choke, etc. Remember, as Coach Blauer says (and as Mr. Torres alluded to), "scenario dictates". Paul Rossi
5/17/06 12:56 PM
Alex

Edited: 17-May-06
I think I understand now. SPEAR is a system that fits over any other system, eg, judo, boxing, aikido, because it emphasizes tactics rather than specific techniques. This would mean that some SPEAR practitioners might regard the straightblast as a good technique, while others might discard it.
5/17/06 2:18 PM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 17-May-06
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Alex Thanks for your question. You need to understand that your question for us (SPEAR proponents) is tantamount to asking if we advocate the flying side kick or Iron Palm nerve strike etc. We're not making fun nor are we debasing any move. We frown upon having a 'favorite' move for the reasons stated above (scenario dictates) Aside from any 'style' debate, which this is not - there are issues with timing, skill and the risk of injuring your hand on an opponetns elbows & head (as the cover & flinch). Our philosophy is simpler: the SPEAR System is a bridge to your complex motor skills...if you 'own' the straight blast and are confident with its delivery and you feel your hands are not at risk and the force of repeated strikes to your opponents face are proportional to the danger youre in...then yes, its a fine choice. Stay safe, Tony
5/17/06 7:50 PM
JDDynamic

Edited: 17-May-06 07:52 PM
Alex, I've not much to add, other than to mention two Blauer Tactical Systems maxims that might further clarify some of the above posts. "The benefit of having a toolbox is knowing when to use the tools in it." "If you can't think to do it in training, what makes you think you'll think to do it in a real fight?" In other words, train in and learn as much as you can from whatever systems you are comfortable in and fit your personality, body type, etc. You may never need to use a poke to the eye in a tae kwon do school, but you may in the street. And it's better to have the capability of accessing the right tool at the right time. Jason Dury Herndon, Virginia
5/18/06 11:49 AM
Alex

Edited: 18-May-06 11:50 AM
Thanks for the conceptual answers guys. Thanks Mr. Blauer for the more specific answer regarding the straightblast I had been hoping for ("issues with timing, skill and the risk of injuring your hand..."). That concurs with what I have heard from other experienced fighters. They don't quite condemn it, but they don't really promote it either. One instructor I know said he liked the concept of the straightblast more than the technique, ie. the SBlast gets you to attack, attack, attack instead of thinking what to do, waiting for the other guy to swing first, etc.
5/18/06 11:50 AM
P

Edited: 18-May-06
Alex, Question one seems to be pretty well covered so I'll throw my 2 cents on question 2. Scenario work is an absolute MUST for any training. Boxers do ringtime, wrestlers scrimmage takedowns and mat work, BJJ players drill guard passing, submissions and sweeps, etc. These are all scenarios common to each sport. Can you imagine the performance if athletes never trained for the event. :-) I would suggest taking some time and looking at your routine and 'What If?' areas that have a potential for confrontation. Begin by thinking through each scenario possible using the 3D's (Detect, Defuse, Defend) and figure out a rough 'Blueprint' for how things would unfold. Look at the challenges each scenario presents and drill possible solutions. I strongly suggest you try to get to a BMF if you can or at the very least pick up the scenario training package from BLAUER office. There's a real science to training 'completely' and most importantly, SAFELY this way. WAY too much for an e-mail post, or an article for that matter ;-) Play Safe, Phil

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.