UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Baby Glock?

5/16/06 12:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Alex
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-May-06

Easy question: What's it like to shoot a baby Glock vs. a midsized 23? I will probably get one or the other, and really want to get something as small as possible. My friends all recommend the 23 however.
5/16/06 1:09 PM
shovelhook

Edited: 16-May-06 01:24 PM
I had the 23. For me at least the muzzle flip was pretty stout, although it was a super fast cycle(quick recovery). I'd go with the 19 or 26 in your shoes. Not giving up much power for higher control and capacity. In fact though I really want a HK P7M8, I'm pretty sure my next handgun will be a G-19 with 3.5 trigger, and XS night sights. The midsize Glock is a great all around size. Hove you seen the recent Glockstore.com catalog? There's a beautiful fully desert camo G36 on the cover. I really like the feel of the 36 more than any other glock and it also is a great ccw piecce without being too small to really work with, if you are into .45's you might wanna try one of those out too. Only problem is I believe they are 6+1. It's not so much 'blocky' as it is flat as a board. I know a guy who has one and had a Sig P245 and likes the Glock better. Nothing wrong with the 9 IMO, hell as much as I loved my Gov mod. 1911 in .45, if I get another it will be in 9mm, that has to be the fastest pistol around.
5/16/06 1:26 PM
Alex

I see you prefer 9mm. If the 23 (mid-size) recoil was stout, wouldn't the 26 (Baby Glock) be worse?
5/16/06 4:16 PM
shovelhook

With +p or +p+ (only way to go with a 9) it might be comparable, but I dunno...the Mini Glocks have their own recoil reduction system; Then again their is much less grip area. I hear people on the forums talk of renting guns and trying before buying, such services are not available in my area. I would really try to use one first, especially since that's what you're gonna rely on. The .40 has a ton of blast/flip in any gun I've used it in, way disporportionately to a 9 or 45 (I wonder how bad the .357 Sig is then, especially in a pistol of 226's grip placement), though the whole time between firing a round and another being chambered seems quicker than either. You lose your sight picture to varying degree with any pistol during recoil, the .40 especially in a Glock recoils sharp, snappy and quickly. I remember feeling like there was little if any noticable rearward movement during recoil but made up for it in the muzzle flip. I use to just focus on the front sight during speed drills, but I think using sights the right way, it would take a bit longer to reaquire them on a 23. Much longer than on say a .45 GM with more gentle recoil and less muzzle rise. I dunno, the .40 seems like a heavy round (more so than the user friendly .45 acp) to be in a gun so light and small, some may shoot it just fine, for me I would like to have a little more control. Like I'd rather have the .32 Keltec than the .380 of same size. I never really liked the 9's I've had but i like the cartridge, would like it in an SA or Striker ignition system that allows a low bore axis. Mine were DA/SA's (Ruger 95, 89, Star Ultrastar). Control over the weapon (and a good feel) is everything to me. Put it this way about the 23. I don't think porting or compensateors are neccesarily a good thing on a defensive gun, but it would benefit greatly from one.
5/16/06 6:24 PM
krept
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had a G27 before I sold it to help pay for a P7. While it wasn't too unmanageable, at some point you reach a point of diminishing returns and I think the G27 sacrifices a little controllability for the extra oomph you get over the 9mm. In my opinion, the G23 is a better platform for the .40. The snappiness of the round will translate into more muzzle flip, so even though the slide cycles really fast, it's a little harder to get back on target. When I had the G27, I ended up wanting a G26 instead, so selling it wasn't that hard... it was a great pistol, however. You do have the option of adding the extended baseplate which will give your pinky finger a place to grip for those times when optimal concealment isn't necessary. One thing to keep in mind also... you'll probably want to use quality defensive ammunition (hollowpoints, EFMJs, etc.). To me, there is a significant difference when shooting practice ammunition and defensive ammo through the G27. Definitely not as comfortable ESPECIALLY with a two fingered grip. Recoil really resonates in the palm of your hand. If you do want to stick with the subcompact Glock, I do recommend the G26 instead. The bottom line is that you shouldn't depend on a single bullet, but a lot of them to be more sure the threat has ceased. With a G26, follow up shots will definitely be more faster and you'll probably be more accurate as well. Personally, I think the G19 is probably the best overall Glock. Follow up shots are even faster with it than the G26/27/23 but it is still concealable for IWB.
5/17/06 12:52 AM
Skpotamus
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-May-06
I own a glock 26 and quite frankly, it's a joy to shoot, even shooting +P or +P+ rounds aren't bad. My fiancee ended up stealing it though as her carry piece. She's 5' 2" and 115lbs. She can reliably dump her whole magazine of hot carry ammo into the head of a silhouette out to 15 yards in pretty quick succession. I personally prefer the glock 19 to the 26, as it's really not much bigger than the 26. If you can carry the 26, you can carry the 19 without much difficulty. The addition of a glock 17 magazine on your belt gives you plenty of ammo for either gun. The 40 cal glocks are the ones I like least. They have more recoil than the 45 caliber and 9mm glocks. My buddy has a glock 23 and loved it, until he shot my glock 30 (45). He then switched over to the 30 as it was a bit smaller and had less recoil than his 40 and still carried a round he liked (he doesn't like 9mm very much). Although, I still carry the glock 30. I just feel better with the ole 45. I carry a spare glock 21 magazine with 13 rounds in it. Giving me 23 rounds if I don't carry +1. However, I don't feel underarmed at all if I tuck my glock 19 into a ctac and throw that glock 17 mag on my belt.
5/17/06 9:46 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-May-06
The CSPT
YOU can only shoot the gun that YOU can shoot well. YOU can only shoot the caliber that YOU can shoot well. Making arbitrary descisions about size and caliber is like makng arbitrary descisions about clothing sizes. You need to shoot the weapons to see how it performs for you. I can tell you this much... The 26 is small and very compact but it is still a "real" gun, unlike many other compacts. Some of the smaller guns are so freakin light they are alomost fragile. And the recoil adjustments you have to make on these ultra lights are interesting. I have carried a 26 for years. It's reliable and accrate "for me". I only depend on a Glock as far as hanfguns go. Demi www.DemiBarbito.com

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.