UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Defusing a break-in ?

9/3/02 7:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Varley
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Sep-02

Tony and PDR coaches , Last nite while my wife and I were at work ( we both work many nites , as an RN and paramedic ) and our two boys were at home ( ages 14 and 17 ) someone tried to break in through the front door . My younger son heard the guy working the door , and shouted to his older brother to get his attention . They left their rooms , grabbed the portable phone and a couple knives . Next they called us at work , and we called the police . I stayed on the line with Kyle until the police arrived ( a short time later ) . My wife works at the hospital a few blocks away from our house , but I was on a call at the time this happened , and felt pretty helpless being stuck there , unable to rush home ... instead , I stayed on the line as I mentioned . This incident has hammered home the need for me to coach my boys in the Tao of Blauer . My wife and I will order the 'Children First' tape , and also the 'Rape Safe' series . We will probably watch them by ourselves first , and then sit down with the boys and watch them and then start discussing and implementing the exercises etc . My younger boy did alright 'detecting' the break in attempt , thankfully ! But my question is this : If , after they call the police , the 'bad guy' is still making attempts at entering , what tactics can my kids take to 'defuse' these attempts ?? I haven't seen the tapes I mentioned yet , so I'm not sure what are the most desirable things to do . Should one : -Turn on lights inside , or turn them off ? -Turn outside lights on , or on/off to attract attention of neighbours hopefully ? -Approach windows , knife in hand telling the guy to leave , the police are on their way ? -Or stay out of sight ? -Stay in the open , or lock oneself in a bedroom or bath ? I know this had a safe ending , but it pisses me off that now my kids can't even feel safe in their own home !!! We can't always be with our kids , watching , protecting them , so I want to ensure that I start preparing them with far more intensity so that they can feel safe again at home , or anywhere they go ! I really appreciate any insight you might have guys , even if it's a simple reinforcement to buy the tapes . Sincerely , Var ( Laurie , Kyle and Eric )
9/3/02 3:08 PM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 03-Sep-02
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Thankfully the ending was happy albeit traumatic for everyone... Varley, again tour prverbial Golden Rules apply: 1. Acceptance 2. Get Challenged 3. Don't stop thinking You plug that formula into YOUR incident and then the relative skill '(hopefully) performs... The GR's apply to anyone fo rthe street... In this case you guys did that... The next thing we have people do is either a proactive or post-incident review , define the options, rework the scenario and the 'what-if's' present themselves, this time without the dread of a real-world timeline... Then you look at 'technology' to help out...these are just examples.... 1. Major spot lights outside the house that are self- triggered by movment 2. loud alarm that can be activated 3. O/C 4. Dog 5. Better locks Remember that bad-guys dont want to be caught... had your kids called an neighbor to open lights and start yelling, or acitvated an alearm even broke some windows upstairs etc, it wouldve likley caused the dirtbag to flee. Remember these are ideas, you need to do the homework... Tony
9/5/02 7:45 AM
Varley

Edited: 05-Sep-02
Tony , My wife and I appreciate you taking the time to respond ... thanks ! We've done some post-incident debriefing with the boys , but I'm sure some of the ideas discussed will evolve once I've had time to review some of your video material . Also we have improved our lighting , have a metal door on order and have recruited a few neighbors that the kids can call if the need arises . A few simple things we will also do is set the screen door to slam shut , rather then close quietly (earlier detection) , and I may consider buying them an airhorn that will function as a portable , in-house alarm ( maybe blast it out a window to scare the idiot off ) . As for exposing the boys to your materials ; this will take some forethought for sure . I want to tailor it to their different personalities . For instance , Kyle is an honours student (actually taking some university credits in his last high school year!) but he hates gym or being watched when he's learning something physical, and Eric is the opposite ; he loves wrestling and is on the high school junior football team . Can you offer any advice on how to approach your materials with these two different individuals ? I already possess much of your training materials , but it's a coaches insight that I really need here . Thanks again , Var
10/4/02 9:08 PM
ValarMorghulis

Edited: 04-Oct-02
ttt
10/6/02 9:12 PM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 06-Oct-02
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Can you offer any advice on how to approach your materials with these two different individuals ? I already possess much of your training materials , but it's a coaches insight that I really need here . VARLEY, YOU NEED TO CONTACT SEAN, A CERTIFIED COACH IN PDR TACTICS AND GET THEM SOME LESSONS. TONY

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.