UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Question on High Gear

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

5/24/06 5:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Alex
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-May-06

Two questions: Can you use impact weapons on High Gear? I can only buy piecemeal, what order should I buy the equipment and why? Thanks, Alex
5/24/06 8:50 PM
JDDynamic

Edited: 24-May-06 08:51 PM
Alex, Depending on what you want to do with the gear, and the weapons, yes. Go to the following links to learn more about the gear and see a few videos: http://www.tonyblauer.com/4105/03_01_highgear.asp http://www.tonyblauer.com/4105/03_07_high_gear_in_action.asp Every training aid has its benefits and its drawbacks. High Gear is designed for IMPACT REDUCTION, not prevention. You WILL feel every single blow to your body wearing this gear. In terms of buying pieces one at a time, that too depends on what you would like it for. If you are going to be isolating shin kicks, the leg guards are the best, and so on. Hope this serves as a good start for you. If you have any other specific questions, please ask. Jason Dury Herndon, VA
5/25/06 9:29 AM
Alex

Edited: 25-May-06
In the old days, the uke (badguy) would wear some kind of protection suit while the student trained his techniques. When both the defender and student wear suits, it allows the student to feel the blows from the badguy, thereby developing good defensive behavior. It seems to me that this is the whole point of the High Gear suit, and that therefore you really need two of them. Is this correct?
5/26/06 1:27 AM

Edited: 26-May-06 01:28 AM
Alex: Ultimately you will want a suit for every student in class! Two suits is a good start. If you are short on funds, you can do a lot of training with one suit. You can have the "good guy" in part of the suit and the "bad guy" wearing other parts. You are correct about High Gear philosophy in that "bad guys" do hit back. If the "good guy" has no protective gear (High Gear) then the "bad guy" will either not fight back at all, he will pull his shots, or intentionally miss (not very realistic or useful). I have three full suits. Sometimes we just use the chest guards. Sometimes we have three bad guys in High Gear and the good guy with no protection (obviously in this type of drill we limit what the bad guys can do). Sometimes we do a two on one with everyone in High Gear. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish with the drill. As Jason pointed out, if you must piece meal a suit together, try to define what type of training you want to accomplish. The headgear is awesome for face rakes, finger jabs, etc. The leg/shin guards are great for leg kicks. The chest protector is great for our SPEAR tool and body shots in general. High Gear is an investment in your future. I have had my gear for about 5 years with regular use and it is still going strong! With Safety In Mind, Rob Gebhart PDR Team
5/26/06 12:35 PM
Alex

Edited: 26-May-06
Thanks Rob - that's good advice.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.