UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> So ya wanna handle hots eh?

5/30/06 3:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-May-06

Oh man, check the pics there as well at your own risk... http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/index.htm
5/31/06 3:18 PM
Trust
815 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-May-06
I don't even have to look. I was, at one time, thinking that one day I'd like to get into hots, until I started to research the subject. Definitely not something I want to do, although I love going to zoos and reptariums to see them.
6/2/06 12:19 AM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Jun-06
Same here Trust. I may just be selfish but i find them fascinating to look at but the risk is just too great imo in keeping them.
6/7/06 5:09 PM
JitsuGuy
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Jun-06
Yeah, I'm not clicking on that link either. I've seen bite pics in the past that were just horrid. Hot snakes are very cool snakes, but too damn risky. Milksnakes, Kingsnakes and many BOIDs all day. But no hots!
6/8/06 8:08 AM
wizbang
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Jun-06
Elected not to click but I've seen before. People at work know I'm a "snake guy". Our office is in a wooded setting and a guy once suggested that if they ever came across a timber rattler that they'd call me. I informed them that, if I came across a timber rattler I would leave it alone and go the opposite direction.
6/8/06 11:23 AM
wizbang
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Jun-06
Ok curiosity got the best of me. Those pics are NASTY
6/9/06 12:24 AM
Spankenstyne

Edited: 09-Jun-06
haha wiz i did the same initially.. I told myself "nah i've seen these kinds of pics before, i don't need to see more" but i couldn't resist. Hadn't seen these ones before yech.
6/13/06 1:42 PM
Trust
815 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Jun-06
OK, I looked. lol There are a lot of people in the hot community that believe fasciotomy is archaic and unneccessary if treated properly with antinvenin. I have seen bite victims with horrible swelling treated only with antivenin and have their limb saved and return to nearly full use. But you never know, I guess. Even with antivenin I suppose there is a rare case that will require surgery. The best way to keep hots would be to keep your own supply of antivenin, imo. Have a written bite protocol on hand to take to the hospital. Even better, see if you could prearrange to have the local hospital keep it on record somehow. S. FL is a good place to get bitten since we have the Miami-Dade Venom One Fire Rescue unit nearby.
10/2/06 10:45 PM
Trust

Edited: 02-Oct-06
Eastern diamondback is the largest, as far as I know. I've heard 8 feet, which is HUGE for a rattlesnake, but in the wild they generally don't get much over 6 feet (which is still a big snake). Easterns have the largest head, relative to body length already, and they are very thick snakes.
10/21/06 5:43 PM
Trust

Edited: 21-Oct-06
Nice vids!!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.