UnderGround Forums

MMA Wagering UnderGround >> Ryan Bennett on Joey Oddessa

5/30/06 3:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TSands
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-May-06

This is a an exceprt from Bennett's current article on MMAWEEKLY.com "Ryan, who impressed you the most this weekend?" - Kim Panter – Atlanta, Georgia Definitely Dean Lister. Lister shocked me, to be honest. We all knew that his ground game was sick and that it was over if he got it to the ground, but I didn't believe in his takedowns, and I thought Alessio Sakara would give him fits with his hand speed and by keeping his distance. I was totally wrong on this fight. Trigg and I both predicted that Sakara would win this fight, and I gotta put a shout out to my man, Joey Oddessa, who set Lister as the favorite when the odds came out (and Trigg and I made fun of Joey on the radio show at the time, thinking he was smoking crack). Joey, once again, you are the man and the smartest man in MMA." I guess that's what he gets for clownin Joey. Way to prove them all wrong again Oddessa.
5/30/06 3:29 PM
FightingMajor

I read that too. It is an entirely different ballgame getting on a radio show and trying to pick winners, versus making a living at it, or making substancial income at it, as I do and a couple others I know about who come on here. Until a person has the confidence to put up serious money, his opinion means very little. Just look at all the know-it-alls on the UG. The good thing about most of the poeple who come on this forum, is they have a stake in the fight. That tends to bring out the reality aspect of picking fights. It makes their opinions mean a lot more, than some 15 year old kid who is not even old enough to sign up for a wagering account (off subject a little).
5/30/06 3:49 PM
Oddessa
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoeyOddessa.com

I really have an advantage that flys under the radar.  Because of where I'm at, I get to see where the money is coming in on these bouts. (the actual money being bet and the patterns)   Being able to spot sharp money as opposed to square money helps and I get to see it all coming in.  I made a post early last week talking about DEAD MONEY.  The huge amounts of money that is bet on guys in smaller amounts that really can't or have little chance of winning despite the media's portrayal of the bouts. In particular, there was a ton of money on many of the dogs.....Sakara, Royce, Silva, and Sherner.  I had bet the opposite sides early  in those bouts and some actually moved against me, which is rare.  But the last time the same happened was PRIDE OWGP RD 1.  Interestinglyy enough in the GP I bet overeem +160? ....I think .....and he closed the favorite.  I did the same thing with Riggs vs Swick and despite +170 on Riggs I lost.  Still trying to figure out if there's a  pattern/stat there.  (May be that when the public is all on the dog and the favorite crosses over, the opening favorite holds up.)   Anyways, it was  a great UFC, but its now passed. Your only as good as your last win or loss especially in this business. 

5/31/06 1:59 PM
barbarian

Edited: 31-May-06
Just out of curiosity... how much do you guys typically make off of these events?
6/1/06 2:32 PM
FightingMajor

Edited: 01-Jun-06
Speaking of this thread, RIP Ryan! I hope the family finds a way to cope with this tragedy. This was a huge shocker, having listened to his show over the years.
6/1/06 10:24 PM
TSands

Edited: 01-Jun-06
Ryan Bennett deserves a lot of credit for the growth of MMA as he has been one of the most influential media members in MMA. He brought us MMAWEEKLY.com as well as a top notch radio show. I will miss reading his articles and hearing him daily with Frank Trigg. This is a huge loss for the sport and he will be greatly missed. Please pray for a speedy recovery to his wife and children.
6/2/06 2:43 AM
ZabkaBYsweep
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Jun-06
I'll definitely pray for his wife and children. A great loss to the MMA community.
6/2/06 3:24 PM
Oddessa
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoeyOddessa.com

Just out of curiosity... how much do you guys typically make off of these events?

A helluva alot more than the fighters.....but we dont always win.

6/2/06 7:02 PM
barbarian

Oddessa... would you say that you make more than you lose? Could you make a living at it?
6/2/06 7:35 PM
Oddessa

JoeyOddessa.com
Yup. Alot more and a good living.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.