UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Favorite Steakhouse?

5/31/06 2:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bill Brasky
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-May-06
The best steak I've had was at LG's in Palm Springs. It was pretty damn good, but I think that what I cook at home is way better.
5/31/06 2:34 PM
Mullet @ Heart
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Fosters: Australian for beer. That sure sounds like they are."
I don't know, or care, about the beer. I'm talking about the restaurant. They're just playing off the theme, not trying to be authentic.
5/31/06 2:40 PM
SyrioForel
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Ruth's Chris and Smith & Woll's in Boston cannot be holding a candle to the steak I was having at Del Frisco's.
5/31/06 2:42 PM
Govnor

The best place I've been is St.Elmos in Indy.
5/31/06 2:48 PM
SyrioForel
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh. And same being for Morton's. Guess different strokes...
5/31/06 2:50 PM
Mullet @ Heart
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Smith & Wollensky in NYC didn't impress me at all.
5/31/06 3:21 PM
hytbridstudent

Vegas: Delmonicos @ Venetian, Yolies Brazilian Steakhouse, Gallaghers @ New York New Yrok Hawaii: Hy's Steakhouse
5/31/06 3:22 PM
Saku39
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not a huge steak Connaisseur but i liked the Charthouse, think its in Palm Springs.
5/31/06 3:25 PM
Clint

Gallaghers in vegas was mediocre at best. I had to send the first steak back and the second one was average. Their beef wasn't best quality.

5/31/06 3:54 PM
Wutang
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How is delmonicos? There is one close by me. I've never had it. It says steak and seafood.
5/31/06 5:00 PM
yasonf

the steak and lobster at delmonico's is great.
5/31/06 5:05 PM
Freeman
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My favorite place is the Prime Quarter where you cook your own. I don't know if it's a chain, I've never heard of another one.
5/31/06 5:08 PM
YVES JOCKSTRAP
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigJimmy- Where is Gibson's located?
5/31/06 6:05 PM
hytbridstudent

The Delmonicos at Venetian is a Enerald Lagasse Restaurant. Truly an awesome place to eat.
5/31/06 6:26 PM
RTWu
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Porterhouse: Wolfgang's Steakhouse (Manhattan) Ribeye: Del Frisco's (Manhattan) Prime Rib: Jake's Steakhouse (Bronx) Ruth's Chris is very good for a chain steakhouse. Their ribeye is usually excellent, though almost anywhere if you take a nice well-marbled ribeye, its kinda hard to mess up. Had the ribeye at BLT Prime and was very dissapointed. Will have to try Luger's some day, though the people I know that have been to both Luger's and Wolfgang's say they actually like Wolfgang's better. I've been meaning to try some other steakhouses in NY like Gallagher's, Smith and Wollensky, and Sparks, but its hard to imagine a better steak than what you get at Wolfgang's. Btw, their bacon is friggin amazing.
5/31/06 6:43 PM
saucylv33
704 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maestro's in Beverly Hills and Costa Mesa crushes all these places.
5/31/06 7:23 PM
guy1
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

saucylv33, i have been to both those as well as drinkwaters in scottsdale (mastro people), and IMO Del Friscos in Vegas beats them all. LG's and the Palm are vastly overrated IMO
5/31/06 7:25 PM
guy1
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

smith and wollensky in Miami was excellent as well. the one in vegas was good but not as good as the miami one.
5/31/06 7:27 PM
guy1

BigJimmy, If you want a good steakhouse in LA try BOA in Hollywood or Mastros. Both are good choices. You can get Ruths, Mortons, etc anywhere. Do some research as there are a few one of a kind places in LA. Honestly though, if you are going out for a nice dinner in LA there are a lot better places to try other than steakhouses, IMO.
5/31/06 7:35 PM
Cryptic
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for later
5/31/06 7:46 PM
anonymousone
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

best one I have had was in Couer Da'lene, Idaho in a steakhouse. From what I understand the place was somewhat famous for their steaks and the wood that they cooked with. By far the best. Way better than Ruth's, Maestro's, and Morton's.
5/31/06 7:50 PM
saucylv33
704 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did not like my steak at Del Friscos in Vegas however their cheese potatoes rocked.
5/31/06 10:10 PM
Gumby
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steakhouses in the Bay Area Okay, if you don't know what Dry Aging is, or think the Outback steakhouse is pretty good, then this post isn't for you. I would have to say that a dry aged Prime New York steak is up there among my favorite things in the world. I've eaten at pretty much all of the steakhouses in the SF Bay Area as well (except for Ruth's Chris). Alexander's Steakhouse (Sunnyvale) http://www.alexanderssteakhouse.com I may have a new favorite as this place serves up a 26 ounce Prime 28 day dry aged steak for 44 bucks. That's about twice the size of any other steak I've seen. My girlfriend got a plate called All 4 Love which had beef prepared 4 ways on the plate which included skirt steak, prime rib, ribeye and a kobe sashmi, portions large enough I got to try all of them. Highly, highly, highly recommend checking this place out if you're in the bay area. Spencer's for Steaks and Chops (San Jose) www.spencersforsteaksandchops.com Really good steak here, sides and service were impeccable. 16 oz New York for 38 bucks. My girlfriend has a passport card, for a yearly membership you can get one meal free for one meal purchased and Spencer's accepts this. The card pays for itself in about a meal and a half. www.passportunlimited.com I'd eat here even without the card, but it has definitely made it a favorite destination, as a meal for 2 for Prime steak will cost less than the Outback steakhouse. Forbes Mill Steakhouse (Los Gatos) www.forbesmillsteakhouse.com/ Serves only Kobe beef. 14 ounce new york for 39 bucks which is very cheap for Kobe. As far as a chop house this place is over rated and way too crowded. So far my experience with Kobe beef is that it's better prepared in a Japanese way (shabu shabu for instance) as oppossed to a cut of steak. Very good, just not up to the level of the other places on this list. Harris Ranch (off I5 between SF and LA) www.harrisranch.com The first steak I had might have been the very best I've ever had, but none I've had since that point have compared. Very unpretentious atmosphere here (mainly people going back and forth between SF to LA that want a treat for the drive). 14 oz dry aged prime steak at $45. It's worth noting that a lot of what is actually called Kobe beef is raised at the Harris Ranch for most of its life, then shipped back to Japan for actual slaughter. Legal reasons, also one of the contributing factors to the cost of Kobe Beef is the lack of land in Japan, so doing the bulk of raising overseas fixes this issue. Kobe beef is NOT available for sale at the Harris ranch, but the quality of meat is still excellent. Morton's Steakhouse (SF) www.mortons.com I went here years ago before I could really appreciate a good steak. At the time, I wasn't bowled over by the experience, but there could be a number of factors contributing to this. I was with a dinner party of four which felt the same way however, so i don't think it was just me. It was also among the most expensive meals I've ever had (thankfully I wasn't paying). Other Prime Grade Beef I've had in the area: House of Prime Rib (SF) houseofprimerib.citysearch.com Still one of my all time favorite places. They make one thing really, really well (Prime Rib, duh) and this place can convert even the staunchest vegan over to the carnivorous side. Feels very much like the SF landmark it is when you enter. Broadway Prime (Burlingame) www.broadwayprime.com The not really cousin of the House of Prime (legal battles and former workers), this place has tried to diversify the menu a bit by adding other items, but their Prime Rib is still the main attraction. Very good, but perhaps not quite on the level as House of Prime, but a lot easier to get to for some. Crimson Restraunt (Los Gatos) www.crimsonrestaurant.com They have a Prime grade flat iron steak, but it was so covered in sauce and buried in mashed potatos that I found the experience to be lost. I've been twice and found the dishes a bit over salted to my liking. Worse yet, the last time I went the chef/owner was having a loud conversation with a table a few feet away by literally leaning over our table to yell at them, pretty much drowning out the conversation I was having with my girlfriend! Never, ever going back.
5/31/06 11:05 PM
scab1
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gumby, have you been to Harris' in San Francisco?
5/31/06 11:09 PM
Gforce

Luger's hands down. House of Prime Rib in SF was also great, but Pete's is Pete's.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.