UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Hand Positioning On An Eye Jab

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

6/2/06 11:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
zen writer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Jun-06

Hi Roy I have a quick question. I noticed that on different Wing Chun tapes there is epmhasis placed on eye jabbing palm down, eye jabbing palm up and, on some tapes, both palm up and palm down. Is there much of a difference between using a palm up or palm down position for an eye jab? Ok, I'm cheating here, but I'll ask another question. Some styles of south kung fu deliver the eye jab from a hook line. Is there any difference between an eye jab that goes straight in Vs. an eye jab that come from a hook line?
6/3/06 10:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Jun-06
Each method of eye jabbing has its strengths and weaknesses. The differences are all about the positioning of the elbow, how the eye jab is used and what simultaneous defenses are available at the point of contact: 1. When the eye jab is delivered on centerline and the right palm is down, the elbow is also down and the right edge of centerline is guarded better. 2. When the eye jab is delivered on centerline and the right palm is up, the elbow is push farther across centerline and the left edge of centerline is guarded better. 3. When the right palm is down and the eye jab is hooked, the elbow is down and out of your centerline. However, positioning the elbow this way allows one to step to zero pressure, place their body at zero pressure, and simultaneously place an eye jab directly on their opponent's centerline. Each method of applying the eye jab has its purpose. Each is equally effective. What will determine its overall effectiveness is the timing of the eye jab in relation to the opponent's attack. Good eye jabbing to you ; ) Roy Harris

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.