Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Luigipe
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Apr-07
ttt
4/26/07 9:50 PM
twinkletoesCT
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Apr-07
Modern Self-Defense Center
Paul Vunak received his BJJ purple belt from Roy Harris. Mr. Denny, Roy gave you some props last weekend at the Erie, PA seminar, in reference to those years in training under Vu. ~Chris
4/27/07 3:17 PM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 27-Apr-07
Chris: That is very kind of him. I have heard only good things about him. yip! CD
5/25/07 3:10 PM
solidbjj

Edited: 25-May-07 03:17 PM
OK so now take a look at the PFS site - the hierachy has changed again!! Looks like ol VU axed another group. Pretty much everyone is replace with 4 day wonders in his new moneymaking program. What kind of chumps pay that much? Lets hear from you!! Oh, I forgot - it looks like Bob and Janet Giambrone are OUT - from full instructor, to regional directors to bye!!!!
5/26/07 7:17 AM
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-May-07 09:09 AM
Just saw this thread. . .Luis, thanks for the good word. It is always nice to hear things like that. Regards Vunak and BJJ, he deserves credit for promoting BJJ within the JKDC world at a time when most JKDC Instructors were still focusing on things like Silat, and yet more dead pattern accumulation. To be clear, I believe it is also Hal Faulkner who deserves ackowledgement for BJJ within JKD. As far as I know Hal actually came back to the USA with tales of this thing called BJJ, and mentioned it within the Kali Academy. He had run into it in his travels to Brazil, and was highly impressed. According to Hal there was not much interest in what he was saying at that time. One of the few people who did express an interest was Paul Vunak. Hal was also one of the first brown belts, if not the first) within the JKD world. I remember meeting him when I was a blue belt, and he was at the time a brown belt. He was a real pioneer. I have lost track of him since then, but I believe he was teaching somewhere on the Northern CA Coast. However, it was Paul, with his popularity and charisma that really helped spread the word. And he deserves a lot of credit for that. Regards the negative. Over the Years I have heard from literally dozens of people who have horror stories related to paying a lot of money for a weekend of training, and recieving a few hours at best. But then again, anytime anyone offers a certificate for two days of training, shouldnt that be a good clue as to the story being played out. I remember a friend attending a Vunak workshop many Years ago and asking a question. They finished the BJJ portion, and when the Q and A came up they asked about making their mount escapes better. They were told to "work sombrada with the sticks more", as that would improve the needed "attributes". At that point my friend grabbed his gym bag and walked out. You have to be willing to let go of the past in order to really embrace the potential of what can be. Grabbing your gym bag and walking out is often the most important step in that direction. You can do it while maintaining the gratitude for steps that led to it. That is healthy, and it includes a big thanks to Paul for promoting BJJ. www.straightblastgym.com
5/26/07 9:58 AM
ReneH

Edited: 26-May-07
Hello, all On the subject of Paul's contributions, not only was he one of the first individuals responsible for helping people get acquainted to BJJ, but to Savate as well. If my info is correct, Paul and Daniel Duby opnened the first Savate school in the country, quite an accomplishment for the man! Iv'e been fortunate in making friends with a lot of people within the PFS organization. Some left to make their mark, others were ready to take the material to new heights. Whatever the case, I took some great tools and frameworks from my association with Paul, as did others. That was nice and thoughtful post, Matt, great to see you again.
5/28/07 2:56 AM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 28-May-07
I can vouch for Hal Faulkner connecting Paul with the Gracies in 1986. It was then that I saw the footage that later became "Gracie JJ in Action". I was very eager to start, but it was around this time that Paul and I parted ways and the introduction to the Gracies was never made. My memory of the late 80s is that quite a few of us around the Inosanto Academy were interested in grappling. Certainly it was part of the "After Midnight Group" at the Inosanto Academy (1987?) that was later to form the nucleus of the Original Dog Brothers in 1988. So when in 1990 when I partnered with Chris Hauter at a 1 day Eric Paulsen seminar at the Inosanto Academy. If I have my history/chronology correct, Eric was part of the Gracie backyard at that point and was also training in Shootfighting with Yorinaga Nakamura. Indeed he is working on shoot leg lock flows in the background of a video I shot of one of my private lessons with someone else around that time , , , but I digress. Anyway, Chris told me about the Machado Brothers (then flying the flag of "Carlos Gracie JJ" after their parting of ways with Rorion Gracie) I was more than ready to jump. We had been grappling in our Dog Brothers fights (admittedly in quite clueless fashion) since the very beginning in 1988. By the way, in our first series, Gracie Blue Belt (at the time this was a very deadly thing :-) ) Carl Franks, who was later to fight for the heavyweight title in the briefly lived Extreme Fighting Championship, can be seen. He's the one in the interview at the end of Tape One who says "There is no meditation that can put you in the hear and now like getting a stick buzzing by your head." I can also vouch for Paul assisting Daniel Duby. Indeed, there was a boxing gym on Long Beach BL that I was training in around 1985 and there in the back was the large wooden sign from the Savate school that they had together. I scored it for Paul, which he thought cool. The savate kicks I learned from Paul had what seemed to me a somewhat different flavor from other savate.
5/28/07 12:43 PM
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-May-07 12:52 PM
I spent many weeks with Daniel Duby in Years past. I had the fortune of visiting him on Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean, where he currently lives. And he came here to Oregon on several occasions. I was there on five different occasions in order to teach seminars, and work Savate with him. Typically we would stay at his home for a few weeks a trip. The kicks Daniel teaches (and as a consequence Paul) are not the normal Savate. Its a varient he learned from his own kickboxing Coach Phillip Bourgiene, who was without a doubt the most impressive kicker I have ever met. Phillip was at the time in his late fourties and had given up kickboxing long ago. He was a prominent Philosophy professor, that lived a pretty secluded life up in the volcanic mountain that was Reunion Isle. Even though he hadnt worked it in Years, he gave an impromptu demonstration of his technique, as well as his french cane fighting material. Even with the long sabbatical from training he was able to cross the entire living room floor with a single chasse. It was highly impressive. We captured a portion on film, which can be seen in Daniels SBG DVD set. Some of the simpler kicks are still part of SBGi curriculum. I usually just refer to them as boot kicks. Phillips cane still hangs on the wall at the Portland Gym, along with several very old Savate posters. When I visited Phllips house I found about twelve pairs of various kinds of boots outside the door. Daniel explianed that was all the man would wear. He then offered us some gnarly homemade rum. It was an interesing afternoon. Visiting Phillip was often one of my favorite parts of the trips. He was a very cool and evolved guy. www.straightblastgym.com
5/30/07 12:24 AM
Paul Hopkins
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-May-07
Paul Vunak is just trying to put food on his table like everybody else, right? And if you have no first hand knowledge of something it is worthless gossip, right? I really like the RAT it is simple and can easily be taught in 2 days. Of course you have to work conditioning and timing and have good training partners. And you don't have to work in a streetfighting mindset. But you can't say that the stuff is no good. Everyone would love to live in a jungle, drink rum and play chess in their garden with friends, put the boots from time to time and kick the shit out of some tweekers or rapists. But you can't do it without food on your table. Look at Mickey Rourke in barfly once he got a samich in his belly.
5/30/07 12:27 AM
Paul Hopkins
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UtR05Um3J3g
5/30/07 9:23 AM
alpheto omegato

Paul, you can do situps and pushups but please don't lose that butt, cause my anaconda got some in that jungle ;) Rats R Us
5/30/07 9:55 AM
Paul Hopkins

It's sidebends and situps you ruffian. FWIW, the Ruffians would dress up in their frilly garb and walk effeminately to draw attackers in order to practice their sword fighting. Of course sword fighting has an altogether more playful connotation in the gay community so the invitation's double entendre is ironic.
5/31/07 9:49 AM
JRockwell
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-May-07
LOL, this thread suddenly swerved, skidded, spun, and crashed through the heterosexual guardrail, plunging headlong into a burning lake of flamboyant effeminacy.
5/31/07 10:49 AM
4 Ranges

Edited: 31-May-07
I must concur that Duby's savate is different from today's current boxe francaise. It's like the difference between Relson's BJJ vs. today's "sport-oriented" BJJ. There are some wicked details in Relson's BJJ that you just don't see in today's competitors that make a HUGE difference. Same with the savate that Duby/Bourgiene come from, which, from what I understand, have more influence from Chausson than BFS. I remember watching Duby's savate tape with Armando, and Armando noted "did you see that marche croche? THAT'S the original savate." (I think that's what the terminology for it was).
8/12/07 6:29 AM
1911fanatic

Edited: 12-Aug-07
I can vouche for Relson's dismay toward sports jiujitsu techniques. TTT for a thread that has brought out lively debate.
1/26/08 12:48 PM
alpheto omegato

Edited: 26-Jan-08
I purchased the enigma video last month and 2 thumbs up. Vu is very much ALIVE LRG
1/26/08 6:30 PM
banco

"Phillip was at the time in his late fourties and had given up kickboxing long ago. He was a prominent Philosophy professor, that lived a pretty secluded life up in the volcanic mountain that was Reunion Isle. Even though he hadnt worked it in Years, he gave an impromptu demonstration of his technique, as well as his french cane fighting material." LOL sounds like something out of a comic book :)
1/26/08 7:26 PM
Matt Thornton

It certainly does. . .you should have seen how he drove. Some of that footage from Phillip's Savate demo is on Daniel's SBG series. Needless to say, I was impressed.

www.straightblastgym.com

1/27/08 9:05 AM
Boyscout
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Jan-08
Phillip Bourgiene is a name that comes up a lot. I first heard about him in the eighties and then many years later on one of matt's SBG tapes. Along with four ranges and co, I predict a return of old style savate SD. I have seen Danials types and it's very cool. It's a very small world and it's also strange how you can be living next door to someone who is a former great but no longer trains. I met someone last year who used to train in the sixties in judo at a world class level and dabled in boxing. He demoed some stuff which looked like Luis's ISR clinch with cloth stuff, which is super to see. I gave him some pride/ufc dvds for Christmas. Strange for the uk but then there was a lot more wrestling clubs and there used to be some intresting after hours matches, some of which were won from the mount with ground and pound. It's all good.
2/1/08 8:37 AM
Vulcan21

Edited: 01-Feb-08
t2
2/2/08 12:52 AM
Ideologic

Edited: 02-Feb-08
As a young buck I find conversations like this stimulating. Word.
5/28/12 9:11 AM
joemasepoos
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
7/6/12 8:47 PM
georgethibault

it seems to me that the vu is a hot mess big shock
7/8/12 7:09 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My instructor Mark Eccard was working with Rickson in his garge (Ricksons) all the way thru his purple belt. He got his brown belt at the Torrance studio (which is where I started to compete). Rickson was a great self promoter.

I think Rorion (Playboy magazine article) did a lot to promote BJJ WAAAAAAYYYYYY back when. Several others contributed along the way. Vunak, Faulkner, Eccard, Kama, Hauter and others...

The martial arts community in the US was not ready to embrace it (even though it worked). The US population is not ready to accept lot's of things that WORK unless they look easy, come in a glamourus package and give you a brighter smile or a tough truck.

I'm not patriotic...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.