UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> diff. between quality of movies

6/8/06 9:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
amandabuckner
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Jun-06

I'm just starting out with learning about video stuff. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what it is that makes a b grade movie look so different from a reg. movie. Is it the type of camera?
6/9/06 10:55 AM
Lynn@Renzos

Edited: 09-Jun-06
Amanda... I would say budget and talent. Give us an idea of what b movie you are talking about and we can get more specific on why it has a certain look.
6/10/06 10:46 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Jun-06
The CSPT
When a director gets a script he starts to think of how "he sees it". In a good production the director and cinematographer work together to make the directors "vision on the movie" come to life. The director decides how the story is told so much depends on his vision and having a support crew that can acheive it. Also, as Lynn said, budget, talent, general/motivated lighting, sound/ sound effects, score, sets etc all play a role. In the world of martial arts instructionals it's just the same. There are some productions with style and no substance, substance and no style and then there are also some with both. It just depends on the initial vision of what you want to convey and then it's execution. Demi IndependentKoncepts.com
6/10/06 10:02 PM
BarkLikeADog

Edited: 10-Jun-06 10:03 PM
Yeah, there are a near infinite number of factors related to your question, & we need a few examples to get an idea of which ones relate to what you're seeing. A few basic concepts, though (& these are generalizations; there are exceptions & times when you might choose to break the rules): Quality of medium; e.g. film yields better contrast & depth than magnetic media; within the realm of magnetic media, wider, thicker, & faster yields more accuracy & definition; within the realm of film, film is organic, so it spoils with age, & is available with different levels of quality & functionality, different types of film are better for different types of frame rates, exposures, even color palettes, etc; within the realm of digital, more bits (however you get them) offer more accuracy & detail, pretty much going back to the limits of the magnetic media that carries it, etc. Lighting: Light is the foundation of all visual media, the better you can control the source, the better looking you can make your material. Cameras/lenses: The better the camera/lens, the more detail you can capture, the richer the colors, the more controlled depth, etc.; essentially the easier it is to capture precisely what you want. Color correction/film developing/processing: Again, film is organic; developing it is a chemical process that you can control to a desired effect, but even in magnetic/digital media, you can still affect the final product to fit within desired visual goals here. Level of technical/artistic knowledge/ability: Pretty much self-explanatory. Audio: The bastard cousin of Video, 100 times out of 100 the audio in a subpar film (from a filmmaker's perspective, not talking poorly conceived but otherwise well-made product) is one of the top 5 weakest links. Always given short shrift in all but the most dedicated of productions. If you're asking "what should I concentrate to improve on" in a budgetary sense, 9 times out of 10 the answer is preproduction. If it's "what should I concentrate to improve on" on the day of shooting, 9 times out of 10 it's lighting & audio. If it's "where should I spend the most on equipment", for entry level budgets, the answer used to be camera/film stock, but now it's usually post-production rig.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.