UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Low maintenence reptiles?

6/10/06 11:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
attjack
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Jun-06

I rented a spare room out to someone with a Corn Snake. The renter has to go but I liked having the terrarium with it's light and stuff in the living room, and the snake is really cool looking as well. The snake is great but it needs a lot of handling etc. to be happy and I already spend enough time with my dog. Any recommendations on a low maintenance reptilian? Maybe lizards?
6/13/06 1:17 PM
Trust
822 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Jun-06
Snakes don't need a lot of handling. They don't need any, actually. They don't have any social instincts other than breeding. They're content to sit motionless and be left alone as long as they feel secure and fed and aren't shedding. But if you want a really easy species to keep, I don't think you can go wrong with leopard geckos. That or a wild caught adult salvator monitor.
6/14/06 8:47 AM
wizbang
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Jun-06
I'd say stick with the corn snakes. That or wild caught adult reticulated pythons.
6/14/06 3:17 PM
Trust
822 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Jun-06
;-)
6/15/06 4:20 AM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Jun-06 04:24 AM
Bah don't listen to them. You want Bearded Dragons, or my personal favourite: Wild caught African Rock Pythons!
6/15/06 7:52 PM
Buddy Lembeck
523 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Jun-06
Ball(Royal) Pythons are great beginner pets if bread in captivity. Very low maintenence and docile.
6/16/06 8:39 AM
wizbang
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Jun-06
Buddy you forgot to add that if you don't go with a Ball Python you may want to consider a Cook's Tree Boa. Equally docile.
6/16/06 10:40 AM
Trust

Oh yeah, cook's tree boas practically beg to be petted like a cat or dog.
6/16/06 11:36 AM
wizbang

They strike to show their affection for you. I had one that loved the hell outta me.
6/22/06 12:19 AM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Jun-06
LOL
6/23/06 2:56 AM
attjack

Edited: 23-Jun-06
I was actually thinking on a smaller scale. Like little lizards maybe.
6/23/06 12:51 PM
colubrid1

Edited: 23-Jun-06
Trust is right. Snakes (including cornsnakes) don't need any handling. Matter of fact handling a snake is actually stressful on the captive. One has to remember the ecology of snakes to properly understand tham. Snakes in general live underground tunneling in holes and in crevices, rockoutcrops, ect most of their lives. A snake is not like a normal pet that needs love and attention. What they do need is basic understanding of what normal is for the snake. A keeper usually puts forth the blame on the snake if it does not do what its supposed to do instead of undertsanding that its US that are not doing what is best for the snake. One common misconception is when a female snake is large enough to breed. If a female ovulates she is ready irregardless of the size. Overfeeding (powerfeeding) is also a big misconcepetion as is brumating snakes by controlling their temps and taking them off feed. I could write on about these things but it really has to relate to a certain species, so before I open the door on such a debate its best to stick to a certain group like kings or corns.
6/27/06 8:49 PM
Buddy Lembeck
523 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Jun-06
good post.
6/29/06 4:48 AM
Spankenstyne

Edited: 29-Jun-06
Lots of good info there. Although i slightly disagree with a few minor points, the general message is a very good and accurate one.
7/2/06 4:06 PM
colubrid1

Edited: 02-Jul-06
Ha Ha Ha! Spanky. Thats why I added those "few minor" points of misconception... [b]One common misconception is when a female snake is large enough to breed. If a female ovulates she is ready irregardless of the size. Overfeeding (powerfeeding) is also a big misconcepetion as is brumating snakes by controlling their temps and taking them off feed.[/b]
7/7/06 11:49 PM
Monroe
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Jul-06
IMO snakes are lower maintenance than lizards just because they only need to be fed app. once a week, only shit a few times a month, etc
7/8/06 12:16 AM
Spankenstyne

Edited: 08-Jul-06
Actually i had no real issue with the breeding info ;P My points of contention lie in the stress message mostly i s'pose. It depends on ones definition of stress though, imo some levels of stress are actually healthy for our captives as it stimulates them. I'd say you're right though and the great majority of snakes just don't much care for being handled. Some genuinely do seem to enjoy it, although it's not an affectionate gesture like a dog or cat, they do seem to enjoy the exercise, stimulation, and heat. I've also seen snakes that will be totally calm and curious in their handler's hands but turn absolutely pyscotic towards others. Some of that you can definitely attribute to many factors like someone having an odd scent on them ie: prey or a predators scent etc, body language and general confidence in handling, but others just really seem to recognize and act like they feel safe with that person who has handled them their whole life.
7/15/06 12:57 AM
colubrid1

Edited: 15-Jul-06
You ever notice how people try to pet snakes. A snakes nerves are on the top of the body. I usually don't try to explain this when I see it at reptile shows. Just makes me laugh and think why are these people wanting a snake. Get a dog.
7/15/06 11:53 AM
wizbang

Edited: 15-Jul-06
Yeah, hopefully this won't get me kicked off the forum ;-) but as much as I enjoy keeping snakes (I really need to get another one, been almost a year since I moved) every snake I've ever had ranks about 50 levels below my dogs. They are neat, they are beautiful, they are interesting but that true connection really can't be made (just my opinion). As far as snake responses go, I do think that every snake I've owned has seemed to "enjoy" being scratched under the chin down the length of it's head (and no they didn't have mites). I'm basing the "enjoy" comment on the fact that doing this, always seemed to freeze the snake in position for however long I did it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.