UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> SBG NYC

6/15/06 3:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
originalSEAL
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Jun-06

I intend to join the NYC chapter of SBG in the near future. I have a few questions about the facilities. 1) Is it geared more for sport or self-defense? 2) Do they teach leg locking in gi and no-gi classes? 3) Do they teach compression (muscle) locks and spinal locks? 4) How much wrestling is taught? Do you teach a select number of takedowns/throws or there's no such limit? I mean, will the wrestling training make me competitive in a wrestling match, given that I have no experience in any type of wrestling? 5) Do they teach any Judo throws? Thank you very much.
6/15/06 8:01 AM
Mike Sweeney

You may wish to contact Christian Montes directly. His info is available on their site: SBGi NYC Mike
6/15/06 12:18 PM
asymmetrik

I'm sure Christian will answer these more completely, but I'll give it a shot... 1) The training is geared toward functional performance. Sport and self-defense are really not so different. We do not train "dirty" tactics or weapons or scenario hysterics if that's what you mean. There are a lot of good articles on the subject at www.straightblastgym.com. 2) Yes. 3) Yes. (This deserves a longer answer) 4) A very good amount of wrestling is taught, but it's not sport specific to wrestling competition (ie. we don't train under wrestling rules). Focus is more on submission grappling, bjj, and mma, but I'm sure that if you were interested in doing wrestling competition then your training could probably be adjusted to it. There are people of all experience levels and backgrounds at the gym. 5) Yes, but most takedowns we train aren't cloth specific. I've been training with Christian for just over 3 years now and highly recommend it. Stop in for a class, you'll definitely enjoy it.
6/15/06 9:10 PM
originalSEAL

Thank you for your feedback. I haven't spoken to Christian yet; I will e-mail him tonight. Concerning the wrestling, I've always wanted to do it, and I read on the catch wrestling/western wrestling forum that bjj guys can't hang with wrestlers in a straight wrestling match. I don't know if that's true or not, but it makes me even more jealous that I never took wrestling in high school and college.
6/16/06 3:18 AM
Indrek R.
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Jun-06
Why should they be able to? It is the same as why wrestlers cannot hang with BJJ guys in a BJJ match. The objectives of the sports are just different.
6/16/06 5:03 AM
FJJ828
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NAPLES BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU L.L.C.
originalSEAL, Not to bum you out, but looking for a place/program to train in is not like buying a fast car. You can go to lots of forums where wrestlers or boxers hang out and listen to them talk about how what they do is better or whatever, as if the program did all the work for them. I drive a Catch Wrestling Gotch-Mobile that goes 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. Sound silly? If you have never wrestled, don't worry. As an adult with zero wrestling, BJJ will be more accomodating and fun than trying to learn a young man's game after missing it in High School. You don't see too many people in their 30's (or even 20's for that matter) taking up and trying to become competitive at wrestling. BJJ you can do into old age.
6/16/06 10:53 AM
Christian Montes

Ronin Athletics
hey OriginalSEAL, my internet connection has been down last couple of days. got your email today. reply sent!
6/24/06 7:44 PM
originalSEAL

Edited: 24-Jun-06
Oh, you don't have to tell me twice! He is very knowledgable and it would be an honor to train with him and his school. I plan on joining in the coming months.
9/18/06 11:43 AM
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Sep-06
I'll be there this Dec.
9/19/06 1:45 AM
Christian Montes

Edited: 19-Sep-06
Ronin Athletics
"I'll be there this Dec." Damn straight!! see you and the crew in a couple of weeks, Matt.
9/19/06 9:49 AM
asymmetrik

Edited: 19-Sep-06
"I'll be there this Dec." looking forward to it!
10/6/06 1:57 PM
Christian Montes

Edited: 06-Oct-06 10:05 PM
Ronin Athletics
i'll be confirming exactly WHEN with Matt very soon, but i was thinking maybe the first weekend in December (2nd and 3rd, i believe) i will post something when everything is definite - it should coincide well with our move, and the opening of our very own new training facility soon!! more to come ...
10/6/06 5:32 PM
tribal416

Edited: 06-Oct-06 07:09 PM
when ad what area you planning to move too, I am familiar with your gym, but the location of fighthouse and times are not convinient for me, but I do hear good things about your club. Are you going to offer more stand-up when you move and again what area you looking to move too? If You have not picked an area out may I suggest Brooklyn Bensonhurst maybe lol.
10/6/06 9:55 PM
Christian Montes

Edited: 06-Oct-06
Ronin Athletics
we already have a location, just fixing it up and getting ready to open in a couple of weeks. its located not too far away from FightHouse, westside 30's, near Penn Station, Port Authority, and Times Square. and yes, we plan to expand our schedule of classes to include more MMA and Stand up training during the week along with Gi/No-Gi BJJ.
10/6/06 10:44 PM
tribal416

Edited: 06-Oct-06
Sounds good keep us posted
10/30/06 12:21 AM
asymmetrik

Edited: 30-Oct-06
new facility, new equipment, new training schedule with classes six days a week from noon until late. Christian has done a great job. check it out! http://www.roninathletics.com
10/30/06 8:59 AM
SWhittier

Nexus Martial Arts, LLC
Congrats on the move, Christian!
10/30/06 9:39 AM
Christian Montes

Ronin Athletics
thanks, Steve. still working out the kinks and trying to get everything pretty and perfect. but will put up pics soon ;-) let me know if you ever plan on being in the neighborhood ...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.