UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> scarlet kings.....

6/15/06 6:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
drewb75
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Jun-06

how do they do in captivity? anyone have any?
6/15/06 8:01 PM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They aren't too horribly common up here in the frozen Empire of Kanadia, but they are very pretty little snakes. The ones i've seen were a bit flighty and quite shy but had just stunning markings with deep vibrant colours. They're on the smaller end of the milksnake scale with a think 3' being a really big one if i recall correctly. More popular as captives it seems in the southern States, but still not super common.
6/15/06 8:44 PM
drewb75
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks....also ive looked at a few sites and i see people selling "green anacondas"! are these the anacondas that get like 20+ ft.? why? thats about all i can think to say!
6/16/06 10:39 AM
Trust
592 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Jun-06
Scarlet kings are notoriously difficult to keep for a couple reasons. First, getting hatchlings to survive is extremely difficult. They are tiny little babies, and will only eat other reptiles. The few people I've spoken with who have raised them live in S FL where anole and ground skinks are common, which happen to be the normal forage for scarlets. But even a baby anole is too big for most hatchlings. So what they do is catch adult anoles and break off the tail and give the tail to the hatchlings. Can you imagine having to go out and find 10-20 anoles a week with good tails? That's a chore. That's why captive bred scarlets are still expensive, and that's why most scarlets for sale are wild caught. Second, wild caught scarlets are very hard to switch over to rodent diets. In the wild they are pretty much reptile predators exclusively. So if you want to keep a mature one, you had better be prepared to feed it other snakes and lizards. A lot of shops will claim they've been switched over to mice/fuzzies, but I wouldn't rely on that. I haven't kept scarlets, but I've had a couple non-rodent-eating species, and they are an extra chore to keep because of their dietary requirements. I would just go with any of the milksnakes that are just as colorful, and way easier to keep, than a scarlet.
6/16/06 8:13 PM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Jun-06
Yeah Pueblans compare colour wise and keep their colours throughout their life for the most part.
6/17/06 3:41 AM
Spankenstyne

Edited: 17-Jun-06
Just did some digging on them and it seems they're even a bit smaller than i remembered. The record length for one is 27" with an average of about 20" for an adult. Scarlet King Apricot Pueblan Milk
6/18/06 2:02 PM
drewb75

Edited: 18-Jun-06
thanks for all the info!!
6/18/06 10:06 PM
Trust
592 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Jun-06
Apricot pueblans are gorgeous. So many times I almost bought one or five of them.
6/22/06 12:19 AM
Spankenstyne

Edited: 22-Jun-06
lol I tell ya if they got Hondo-sized i'd probably be all over them. I've gone Hondo crazy lately and will be most likely be getting late this summer either a pair of Hypo hets, or a Hypo female to breed to my male Tangerine.
6/22/06 10:58 AM
Trust

Edited: 22-Jun-06
Nice!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.