UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Ask a Vet - Q&A

6/18/06 12:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Merryprankster
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Jun-06
smileythai, I think he's saying that spaying a cat later might cause tumor growth, so if you are going to spay her, do it before the first cycle. At least, that's how I read it.
6/18/06 12:51 PM
smileythai
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Jun-06 12:51 PM
"I think he's saying that spaying a cat later might cause tumor growth, so if you are going to spay her, do it before the first cycle. At least, that's how I read it." Perhaps I did, but that's not what the Veterinarian on Animal Planet suggested. She said spay/neuter should be done early because intact/unsterlized animals are more likely to develop reproductive cancers. The simple truth is disease is caused by one of two ways: genetic predisposition and exposure(environment/nutrition). In animals, disease is the result of breeding for type/size/color INSTEAD of breeding for genetic soundness. We've seen dozens of breeds(both dog and cat) ruined by this rampant problem, yet we can't seem to convince ourselves that we're to blame. Instead of finding the solution and returning to the old ways, we're simply shifting the responsibility to the Veterinarians to do the work for us. *Note: I do like Veternarians...I just hate propoganda & lies.*
6/18/06 1:07 PM
CarlClendenin

1. It is very common for younger dogs to take a liking to eat poop. While disgusting, this isn't the first case of this happening. Wait it out, and she should knock it off very soon, if not you'll need to correct her. Shit happens, as they say. 2. Dogs ear canals aren't like humans. They go down, then over. Water becomes trapped here, causing an infection. It's hard to diagnose anything over text on the internet, but if def. sounds like an ear infection. The stink/warmth is a tell tale sign of infection. Continue the ear cleanser (is there any oatmeal in it? get some that does) for another week. Next time plug her ears with cotton balls before going swimming/bath/play time with water. 3. Remember this. Dogs are pack animals. When he goes inside the house again, let him know you do not like this. You have to be the leader of the pack, and make them know it young, or they'll challenge you constantly. Above all else though, take him outside and when he goes give him a treat and praise him in a high pitch voice. Baby talk even. Let him know that you're happy when he goes outside. When I say let him know you get mad when he goes inside, I don't mean kick him. Positive reinforcement is the best method. He'll quickly become potty trained. Also, get him used to your work schedule. Before work, let him out. As soon as you get home from work, let him out. He'll grow into these times of the day to piss, and so pissing inside stops. Doesn't happen overnight though. 4. Get her checked out for a dental. Rotten/broken teeth have an odor. Like I said, hard to sy over the internet - but this is my first thought. Also, stick with the toothbrush/bone combo. Greenies work best, but make sure you get the right size bone. Dogs have choked on these before.
6/18/06 1:24 PM
smileythai

LOL. I was just remembering my pit bulldog bitch' cravings for cat poop. One time, when I wasn't paying attention(she was sneaky like that), she devoured a whole pile. I didn't think much of it until early on the next morning when I felt her nosing at my hand while I was asleep. As I started to wake up, I noticed an EXTREMELY FOUL STENCH in the bedroom. I popped my head up from the pillow and observed her sitting down near two GIGANTIC pools of doggie syrup near the bedroom door. Her head was hung low in shame and in all probability, to catch her breath because stenches rise just like heat! I guess I felt her nosing my hand to go out soon enough...All I know is it took at least an hour to half-way clean up the sludge...we never did get it all, there were 2 permanent stains on the carpet. Needless to say, we moved shortly after. lol
6/18/06 1:28 PM
smileythai

"Also, stick with the toothbrush/bone combo. Greenies work best, but make sure you get the right size bone. Dogs have choked on these before." How about just switching to the BARF diet? Nothing worse for a dog's teeth than processed dog food and "treats". Just my opinion.
6/18/06 2:25 PM
shaman19

CarlClendenin,
I have 2 cats and one of them just won't stop peeing in the corners of some rooms. She's been spayed and We've tried,
vinager and water
placing aluminum foil to discourge hanging out in the same corners
and some Nature's Miracle, stain and odor removal
with no success. any other reccomendations?
6/18/06 7:14 PM
CarlClendenin

Shaman - It could possibly be a tempermental thing. Next time she squats, throw the TV remote at her. No seriously, could be a UTI. Get a sample of her urine and take it to your vet for a urinalysis and see what's going on.
6/18/06 7:20 PM
CarlClendenin

Pierrot - There's always a chance of that happening. I won't get my hopes up if I were you. Diet and weight control are the best methods if the diabetes is caused by obesity. Best advice to you is keep your cat on a diet, and get it's blood and urine checked atleast yearly. Good Luck.
6/19/06 8:57 PM
CarlClendenin

Edited: 19-Jun-06
ttt
6/19/06 9:14 PM
shaman19

thanks for the help.
6/19/06 9:29 PM
CarlClendenin

No problem. Sending in a urinalysis is going to save money on the office visit. So make sure you don't have to bring your cat in, although for controlled drugs you MUST have an existing account at the vet clinic.
6/19/06 9:44 PM
shaman19

I need to take my cat to the vet soon so I'll arrange to take a urine sample along.
6/19/06 10:09 PM
Reenz

my dog was on some stong antibiotics for some inflammations of the skin. last week, which was his last week of taking the medication, he started getting very loose stools. he's also on thyroid medication for hyperthyroidism. he's still having very loose stools. could it be the thyroid medication? we haven't changed his food or anything like that.
6/19/06 10:11 PM
smileythai

antibiotics= loose stool because they remove flora/fauna from the digestive tract.
6/19/06 10:36 PM
iceman420

CarlClendenin, My poodle was barking too loud so i put him in the microwave for 30 seconds. After the little fucker was done yelping it started walking around funny, like kind of limping. Also it smells bad, like burnt flesh. Any suggestions?
6/19/06 10:55 PM
smileythai

"I agree to a point but the BARF diet is not a cure-all. Dogs can still have stinky breath even if they are eating well." Think that has anything at all to do with the fact dogs are reknown for eating garbage, vomit, POOP, and licking their private parts? :o)
6/19/06 11:18 PM
Isaac298

My dog keeps itching his face and its really inflamed. A friend recommended i give him a dose of childrens benadryl for him, so he'll stop itching it. Any ideas>?
6/19/06 11:24 PM
Reenz

Edited: 19-Jun-06 11:37 PM
I think our 4 hours are up :-) Isaac, my dog had the same. He was prescribed 4mg of chlorpheneramine e.g. chlor-trimeton twice a day. For some reason, Benedryl made him drowsy but chlorpheneramine did not. That will block the histamines but you might need antibiotics to get rid of the inflamation. The combo solved the problem. Btw: this was a separate incident from my post above.
6/30/06 2:44 PM
shaman19

Edited: 30-Jun-06 02:44 PM
CarlClendenin,
update. I took my cat to the vet and a small stool sample which wasn't sufficient to diagnose completely. The little information that they got from it seem to show no signs of UTI. anyway, she (cat) was prescribed Valium.

I'm not to happy about having her on meds...but oh well... she's been on it for the past 3 days and while I'm at work I've locked her up in bathroom. And unfortunately she's been using the Tub to pee in....

I'm so hoping there's a cure to this... as my girlfriend and vet talked about putting the cat to sleep as a last resort.

this doesn't look good... right?
7/2/06 4:43 PM
CarlClendenin

Edited: 02-Jul-06
Not sure how they diagnosed a UTI from a stool sample? Did you take urine? They should've been able to diagnose properly by checking for crystals and the gravity. Make sure you finish the meds 100% correct, and all the way through, though. It's too early to talk about putting the cat down, however. I can't recall right now the name, but ask your vet for a spray to put in the litter box, that makes it more "attractive" for the cat to pee in it. This would be ideal before putting her down. How old is she?
7/2/06 8:08 PM
shaman19

I'm an idiot.... i meant to say... urine... I took a small sample of urine.. and it wasn't enough to diagnose completely.

For the past 3 days she's been much more calm and good about going to the litter box. *I hope it stays this way*

she's only 4 years old.
7/2/06 8:23 PM
GRYAN
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Had the ears done on my cane corso puppies.female the ears stood right away and look fantastic.The male's never came around.The breeder said it can take up to 6 months sometimes and i am a couple past that.I am sure it's too late now but if i did this in the future what should i do to ensure the ears stand?
7/2/06 10:36 PM
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dr Carl, Can you give us a quick rundown of vet school? Was it hard to get in? How the hell can you be trained to be an expert in parrots as well as elephants? Is there any money in it?
7/2/06 10:49 PM
Ridgeback

I am surprised you have time to be on the internet in Vet school. Which school are you attending?
7/3/06 1:49 AM
CarlClendenin

Edited: 03-Jul-06
I don't like cropping dogs ears, sorry. Money, as I'm told, is in running your own vet clinic. As are the 80+ hour work weeks. 4 years under grad at UT (toledo) and graduate school at OSU.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.