UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> More N. Georgia Herpin

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

6/17/06 5:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
wizbang
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Jun-06

Caught this little guy. Is he rough green or smooth green? Pretty tame. I'll hold onto for a couple days, give him some crickets and water and then let him go. The third pic is the one I want to really catch and release. He left us that on my neighbors walkway. We're dying to get a look at the one who left that.
6/18/06 10:11 PM
Trust
1232 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Jun-06
Skin looks like a rat snake based on length and apparent girth. The green snake looks like a rough green to me. I've seen lots of rough greens down here in FL, and I've caught a smooth green in MI once, but hard to be sure. Either way, cute little bugger!!
6/19/06 4:17 AM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Jun-06
If the scales are keeled it should be a rough no? Also it looks like any pics i've seen of roughs. Nice job
6/21/06 12:44 PM
Trust
1232 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Jun-06
I did a little research and it looks like smooth greens' range doesn't include GA, so that is likely a roughie.
6/21/06 4:42 PM
wizbang
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Couple of folks at kingsnake confirm it is rough. For the record. "rough" greens are smooth as glass. ;-) Believe it refers to keeled vs non keeled scales.
6/21/06 4:46 PM
wizbang

Oh, Skin is between 5'8" and 5'10" and a bit wider than the sheds my just under/over 5' corns produced. I think rat is a good guess. We've caught one of those. Juvinile. My neighbor thinks it's an eastern king. Couple years ago he saw a good sized E. King under his deck. 2 years later he suspects that may now be a really big E. King.
6/22/06 12:17 AM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Jun-06
Any discernable pattern on the shed? Tough to tell from that pic but any of the sheds my snakes leave always show hints of the pattern. "Believe it refers to keeled vs non keeled scales." Points to the post two above this one ;P
6/22/06 1:46 AM
colubrid1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wiz~ Put the shed into a bucket or some kind of water container. When the shed gets wet the pattern will emerge. I discovered this by accident. About 20 years ago I went rock flipping in the San Jacintos and picked up a shed I found in a small rockplie. I forgot about it but when I took it out of my pocket back home I threw it in the toilet. Then I saw the pattern ..BINGO!..it as a mountain kingsnake. The I wished I had continued to go through that rockpile.
6/22/06 7:00 AM
wizbang

- I knew that sounded familiar - :-) - I may just try that.
6/22/06 5:13 PM
wizbang

Got the shed wet. Not 100% sure but I now lean toward black rat. What ever it was is mostly black that seems to be for sure. I saw some faint pattern that was corn/rat like and did not see the narrow bands of the eastern king, although as I understand it some of them are pretty much all black. Wouldn't bet the house on either.
6/23/06 12:41 PM
colubrid1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Jun-06
the blackratsnake is the most common snake found in GA so it stands to reason thats what it is. Also the blackratsnakes loose their pattern and "almost" turn all black. So if you only see a faint pattern that what it most likely is. If it was a eastern king the pattern is much more distinct and would stand out more.
6/23/06 3:28 PM
Trust

Edited: 23-Jun-06
Eastern king is a good guess too. One that big would be a ratsnake's nightmare!
6/26/06 9:05 AM
wizbang

Edited: 26-Jun-06
Well, my neighbor frequently finds this guys waste around (under) his deck by his hot tub and around the kids playhouse which is situated in the woods. Suspect he rests under the playhouse or in some of the hollowed out areas where the hot tub sits under the deck. We hope to get ahold of him to find out for sure. Of course you don't get that big by being caught so that could be a tough one for us to pull off.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.