UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> what to do in case?

6/18/06 8:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MISOGI
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Jun-06

The guy you're rolling with finally obtained mount and he's freakishly strong he then grabbed both of your wrist and pulled them up so that they're in a good position to armbar what do you do? when I ended in this position I tried to bump up it made him scramble a bit but proceded to repeat the same move...I hope the above description is clear enough...I already posted this in the bjj forum but there isnt enough response I hope one of the guys here could help...
6/19/06 12:31 AM
swiftnhbfighter

Edited: 19-Jun-06
shrimp. move do anything before he secures a good grip on your wrists. Don't just allow him to reach down and grab you with out moving. Hope that helps some until Roy gets on here;)
6/19/06 1:30 AM
MISOGI

Edited: 19-Jun-06
Thanks mucho Swiftnhbfighter any advice is appreciated
6/20/06 12:26 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Jun-06
misogi, For starters, when you grapple with someone who is freakishly strong, it will be imperative that you keep your elbows tucked in tight to your ribs. While they may be able to grab your wrists, they will have a difficult time pulling your elbows away from your ribs without giving up A LOT of control. Second, should your wrists be pulled up and your elbows exposed, the very first thing you should do is bridge, not shrimp. While it may seem like a good idea to shrimp, shrimping will actually give your freakishly strong opponent a better angle at attacking your arm (because your head moves to one side when you shrimp, the path over your head with one leg will actually shorten, temporarily, when you shrimp). Your best bet is to off balance him by bridging his hips over your head and tucking your elbows into your side when he lets go to catch his balance. THEN, once you have gotten your arms in some kind of posture you can begin to shrimp left or right. Remember, shrimping is a combination of four movements: 1) A pushing with your hands or elbows, 2) A shrimping away of your hips, 3) Moving your head away from the opponent's knees, and 4) Driving your knee inward! So, if you cannot push with your hands or elbows, there is no need to shrimp because one of the required four elements is not possible. Does that make sense? Third, if you feel that your opponent is going to throw his leg over your face and attempt an arm lock, then bridge and drive your elbows above your head - as though you were trying to touch them on the mat above your ears. This coordinated movement will make it difficult for him to throw his leg over your face. Good training to you, Roy Harris
6/20/06 9:48 PM
MISOGI

Edited: 20-Jun-06
Thanks so much Mr Harris this has been the most detailed explanation I've come across...Thanks Mucho!!!! :-)
6/21/06 2:25 AM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Jun-06
You are welcome! Roy Harris
6/21/06 9:37 AM
4 Ranges

Edited: 21-Jun-06
Great post Roy!
6/23/06 10:51 AM
jonpall

Edited: 23-Jun-06
Signed, sealed and delivered by Roy, IMO ;)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.