UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> Lynn - Advice

6/20/06 9:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ZabkaBYsweep
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Jun-06

Lynn, I was wondering if you have any advice on beginning the editing process on documentaries with lots of footage. I have about 40 hours of footage, that I'm hoping to cut down to about 25 minutes for my Karate Kid Fan documentary. Staring at that rack of tapes is a little intimidating. I'm starting to view the footage and log it now. But I was wondering what your process is when diving into something like this? Thanks!
6/21/06 3:27 PM
Lynn@Renzos
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Jun-06
ZabkaBYSweep... I know where you are man. When I started editing "Ring Days" I was staring at 120 hours of interviews plus all of the b-Roll footage not to mention stacks of stills. I have a pretty solid system for editing that works for me. The best thing to do is to organize all of your footage. I always log and capture my footage by interviewee with subject bins inside of the interviewee bin. Basically here's how I do it. Let's say I'm capturing a Sugar Ray Leonard Interview. I set up a bin called Sugar Ray Leonard. I go through and log and capture all of my footage into that bin with notes/comments etc. about what he is talking about in each captured clip. Once I have it all in the general Sugar Ray Leonard Bin, I create other bins based on the topics in general. For example:
Main Bin: Sugar Ray Leonard
Sub-Bins:
1. Amateur Days
2. Marvin Hagler Fight
3. Retirment
etc. I move my clips that I captured into the appropriate bins that their subject matter relates to. I go through each interviewee and create the same situation. Each bin type is labeled with a color that helps me identify them as Bin or Sub bin. B-Roll is treated the same way. Audio files are treated the same way. Once the interviewees are all broken out. I duplicate all clips of a certain subject into additional bins and rename the sub-bins that I have created through the dupes. Example:
New Main Bin: George Foreman
Sub-bin: Sugar Ray Leonard
*this sub-bin has all footage that Sugar Ray Leonard comments on some level about George Foreman All B-Roll, Audio, Stills are treated the same way. I hope this helps. This is my system and it is multi-leveled but it really works for me. I've seen many different ways that people work, but this is what I have developed for my work method.
6/22/06 4:30 PM
ZabkaBYsweep
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Jun-06
Thanks for taking the time to answer that. Sounds like a great system. Time to take the plunge. I'll let you know how it progresses. Thanks.
6/22/06 5:10 PM
Lynn@Renzos

Edited: 22-Jun-06
Great. Can't wait to hear the progress! Keep us posted. You can always email anytime as well if you want to talk off board about detail stuff. email: lynnlane@mac.com
6/24/06 8:00 PM
DVant

Edited: 24-Jun-06
Take a look at the DVD for Riding Giants. In the extras they talk quite a bit about the editing and the organization/story building process.
8/10/06 9:33 AM
ZabkaBYsweep

Edited: 10-Aug-06
Holy Shite, I just watched the Riding Giants DVD. Thanks DVant for the suggestion. The bonus feature has an indepth look at their storytelling process. It was much more complex than I anticipated. Anyone into docs or filmmaking should check it out.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.