UnderGround Forums

Utah Underground >> Attn: Justin Ellison!!!!!!!!

6/21/06 12:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JarvisKolen
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Aug-06 12:59 PM

6/21/06 1:19 PM
DJColdfusion

Edited: 21-Jun-06
Try contacting him on http://www.ucombat.com/forum/ He's there regularly and so are a bunch of people who train with him and can probably get ahold of him for you.
7/7/06 7:42 PM
Mullet @ Heart
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Jul-06
Is he still at Elite? I read somewhere that he was in St. George, but don't know how old that info was.
7/8/06 5:43 PM
DJColdfusion

Edited: 08-Jul-06
He's at Elite but he doesn't train all that much from what I understand. He'll be there more often for the next month because he has a fight against Mica Cipilli (Brazillian with a BJJ blackbelt under Rigan Machado) at the next UCE finals show.
7/8/06 5:48 PM
Mullet @ Heart
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Jul-06
That's too bad he's not training much. He has so much talent, and is such a great teacher. The Elite guys would really benefit from having him there with the other instructors.
7/12/06 12:31 AM
DJColdfusion

Edited: 12-Jul-06
He's supposed to compete at the next Ultimate Grappling Experience show this Saturday. Phil Henderson runs the tournament and has pulled together $1000 for the winner of the absolute tourney. There are supposedly guys coming from all over Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and I don't know where. The next one, after Saturday's that is, will be at the eCenter the day of the UCE finals. This one is at the Ultimate Combat Training Center starting at 11am. Beginners and Intermediates will go first and there is atleast one superfight scheduled between Sauer blackbelt Ricky Lundell and Bayless blackbelt Donnie Raines (you have to give Ricky the advantage in this since Donny is really not a grappling tournament kind of guy and Ricky REALLY knows how to play the tournament game) . . . There, if that wasn't way more than what you were looking for then I don't know what else I could do!
7/12/06 11:00 AM
Mullet @ Heart

Lundell vs Raines? I'll show up just for that. Sounds like a good match-up. Remember that Ricky spends the vast majority of his training time with a gi, which he won't have at the tourney. He is amazing, though. He once tapped me 6 times in 60 seconds. I was fresh, and he had just gone through 5 minutes with other fresh opponents. Wait, that doesn't mean he's good. It means I really suck!
7/12/06 1:53 PM
DJColdfusion

Ricky's very good no-gi and has won his share of tournaments. I don't know if Raines has ever been in a straight grappling tourney, sorr . . . just don't know, but he does have a great ground game. The thing that makes Ricky the instant favorite is that he has that tourney experience and Donny has spent the last couple of years honing his jits game for MMA. I think it'll be a great exciting match. There are supposed to be a couple of black belts coming all the way from Meaton Diaz's school down in Arizona. Megaton is a BJJ tourney legend and has produced some great champions so the absolute tourney should be incredible.
7/18/06 12:18 PM
DJColdfusion

Edited: 18-Jul-06
Justin won the Ultimate Grappling Experience Absolute Tournament (07/15/2006) and the $1000 that went with it. I'll link pictures ASAP.
7/18/06 12:20 PM
Mullet @ Heart

Edited: 18-Jul-06
Sweet. You (or someone) need to start posting events here. All most of us know about is the weekly UCE show.
7/19/06 5:48 PM
DJColdfusion

Edited: 19-Jul-06
Here is a pic of Justin finishing his opponent in the finals of the absolute: http://www.slcbjj.com/machadoslc/images/tourney07152006/ellisonScream.jpg And here he is with Machado Blackbelt (and my instructor) Jeff Kunze . . . and his (Justin's) sword: http://www.slcbjj.com/machadoslc/images/tourney07152006/ellisonJeff.jpg I believe the next one will be on September 9th at the ECenter (the day of the UCE finals)and will feature even more money for the absolute and I know the promoters are trying to setup a couple of different superfights between some worldclass guys from out of state and the best that Utah has to offer, sorry but I can't mention any names . . . the promoter has sworn me to silence on the matter until they have signed contracts but I will tell you that I can't believe how much money these guys are pouring into this show! And even though they are sharing the venue with the UCE show on the 9th EVERYONE should understand that Mike Stidham is not running this. Its not his show. The owners are working with Mike and he's been really cool to them but its not his show . . . I only mention this because there seems to be some pretty serious anti-Stidham sentiment in Utah and I don't want that to keep grapplers from competing.
7/27/06 3:19 PM
DJColdfusion

Edited: 27-Jul-06
http://www.americangrapplinggames.com
8/2/06 5:42 AM
GRANBYTRIPOD1

Edited: 02-Aug-06
DJ is it going to be mandaotry that competitors compete in the weight division classes to compete in the absolute or can you just do the absolute if you want?
8/2/06 2:58 PM
DJColdfusion

Edited: 02-Aug-06
You can do whatever you want . . . that is you can fight in your division and the absolute, just your division or just the absolute. Their website is up at http://www.americangrapplinggames.com but I don't think there is anything on there that addresses your question directly.
8/4/06 5:16 PM
SOLDAT

Edited: 04-Aug-06
"there seems to be some pretty serious anti-Stidham sentiment in Utah" I wonder why
8/4/06 5:53 PM
Mullet @ Heart

Edited: 04-Aug-06
I didn't even notice that the first time. What's wrong with Mike? He was a TMA point-fighting superstud, saw the light, and changed his ways. You gotta respect that.
8/7/06 12:50 PM
DJColdfusion

Edited: 07-Aug-06
The people who don't like Mike generally have had some sort of business disagreement with him. Like alot of businessmen, Mike puts the business first. I'm not saying that's good or bad, its just what it is. I know of one person who used to be a friend of Mikes and who now . . . well, lets say they're not exactly on speaking terms. Anyway, Mike allowed this friend to announce his own MMA show during one of the breaks during Mike's show (this was before I had ever met Mike, I was in the audience) that friend got in the ring before the main event and said something like (I'm paraphrasing here) "Is everyone having fun? Well, if you want to see some REAL fighters in fights that are actually exciting then make sure you . . ." In other words the guy totally trashed Mike's show during Mike's show after Mike had let him take the microphone. Is Mike a "saint?" Oh hell no, and he wouldn't claim to be. But if you understand that the business comes first, like it does with every serious businessman, then it is much easier to work with the guy.
8/7/06 1:41 PM
Mullet @ Heart

I've only met him a few times, and he wouldn't recognize me in a line-up of 2 people, but he seems like a descent guy to me. Hell, he gives us a hour of free fights on TV every week. That's good enough for me.
8/7/06 4:06 PM
DJColdfusion

Like I said, he's all about the business and if he wasn't then we wouldn't have the show to watch every week. There are a few "untouchable" personalities in Utah that are the exact same way but they have an almost religious cult like following and if you question the individual then his adherents get fired up like they have started their own martial arts Jihad. Business is business and I don't hate those "other" guys for doing their business so why should I hate on Mike?
8/9/06 8:00 PM
ewart

Edited: 09-Aug-06
Yes thats true, but its mostly the Brazilian JJ community.
8/10/06 1:32 PM
Mullet @ Heart

Edited: 10-Aug-06
^ LOL
8/11/06 4:12 PM
DJColdfusion

Edited: 11-Aug-06
Funny? Yes, but true . . . as long as were talking grappling. If you open it up to other martial arts then there are a TON of TMA guys out there running their own little kool aid stands and people are lining up to take a sip.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.

Only Pro Members and Moderators are allowed to post to this thread. Upgrade to a Pro Member account today!