UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Wisdom of man falls short!

6/22/06 7:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
IndianaBrandon
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Jun-06

Col 2:8 See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. Philosophy is evil. There is not one book of philosophy worth the paper it is printed on. Pro 14:6 A scoffer seeks wisdom in vain, but knowledge is easy for a man of understanding. All knowledge comes from God. And without God damnation follows. Rom 1:21 For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 1Co 1:20 Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? You want real wisdom read the Bible. Psa 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever!
6/22/06 8:01 PM
IndianaBrandon

FOOLOSOPHY! -Spurgeon, "God Justified, Though Man Believes Not" The history of philosophy is a history of fools-- a history of human folly. Man has gone from one form of philosophy to another, and every time that he has altered his philosophy, he has only made a slight variation in the same things. Philosophy is like a kaleidoscope. The philosopher turns it round, and exclaims that he has a new view of things. So he has; but all that he sees is a few bits of glass, which alter their form at every turn of the toy. If any of you shall live fifty years, you will see that the philosophy of today,will be a football of contempt for the philosophy of that future period. They will speak, amidst roars of laughter, of evolution; and the day will come, when there will not be a child but will look upon it as being the most foolish notion that ever crossed the human mind. I am not a prophet, nor the son of a prophet; but I know what has befallen many of the grand discoveries of the great philosophers of the past; and I expect that the same thing will happen again.
6/22/06 8:46 PM
salsero

Brandon, Other than Col 2:8, what other evidence or proof do you have that philosophy is evil? I am certain you realize that philosophy is a huge area of study. For example the fact that you are (assumedly) American and gainfully employed is a direct result of political and economic philosophy. If you are black, the fact that you don't have to use seperate washrooms or ride in the back of the bus is fact of philosophical beliefs and actions. I know you are unwavering in our faith. I also know some philosophy and its teachings directly contradicts your faith. But what about people of faith who have beliefs that differ from your beleifs? Are they, too, evil?
6/22/06 9:19 PM
IndianaBrandon

"But what about people of faith who have beliefs that differ from your beleifs? Are they, too, evil?" Everyone is evil. Rom 3:10 as it is written: "None is righteous, no, not one; Rom 3:11 no one understands; no one seeks for God. Rom 3:12 All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one." Anyone who beliefs differently than the Word of God, is evil! In danger of hell, and in need of repentance.
6/23/06 12:26 AM
salsero

Edited: 23-Jun-06
Before you insert a red herring (i.e. everyone is evil), I have to ask you to focus on my original question, which is based upon our orignial post. That question is what evidence or proof do you have that philosophy - a non-living name which encompasses a vast discipline which impacts your daily living - is evil?
6/23/06 1:41 AM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

Salsero, I ask you to not take the bait. He is trolling, as he has been doing this "Bible gimmick" over on the OG. He will claim he is not trolling but he certainly is.
6/23/06 1:52 AM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

That it might be the hardest hitting of the martial arts. So Ive theorized that it might be the ultimate sucker punching art. Learn it. If someone pisses you off wait a few days. Get behind them somewhere(a checkout, restaraunt, bar)assume a horse stance, focus you chi, and waylay their ass from behind! Revenge is a dish best served cold.

This was from him attempting to troll the UG with a "Karate would dominate in MMA" gimmick. 

Is the speed JiuJitsu Blue Belt course any good?
http://www.speedjiujitsu.com/

A troll attempt to get all the bjj guys riled up against a speed jiujitsu course teaching bjj on tapes. 

Tyson destroyed Golota. Ruiz dosent have the chin to fuck with Tyson. And the two white guys need not apply(Sanders,Klit).
He is still a huge draw for PPV's. Probably the biggest in boxing. He is in debt up to his ass,

^^You think such a holy Christian is really going to talk like this?

It was Robbie Lawler that hit the ref at the end of round 1. They fuck over Baroni, but I guess its ok for everybody else.

Further Christian talk.

IndianaBrandon, I dont mind trolling, but it doesn't belong on this board.  The members here are a bit more educated, and this trolling attempt has been done to death.  I am exposing it.  If you want to troll the OG/UG, feel free:)

6/23/06 9:15 AM
IndianaBrandon

Im not trolling. Just exposing the philosophy of men for the joke that it is. I made those posts during my backsliding period. You have done enough research on me to know what Im talking about. Get a life Mo. "That question is what evidence or proof do you have that philosophy - a non-living name which encompasses a vast discipline which impacts your daily living - is evil?" It is evil as far as it contradicts the Word of God. If the philosophy copies anything from the Bible it would be right in what ever it lifted from scripture. Example you mentioned the civil rights movement. Totally lifted out of the New Testament. Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
6/23/06 9:31 AM
salsero

Hollywood, I'm not taking bait, but thanks for the word of advice. I've seen Brandon post in the past... Brandon, You wrote: "There is not one book of philosophy worth the paper it is printed on." You also wrote: "If the philosophy copies anything from the Bible it would be right?" Thus, by your own admission, there ARE some philosophy books worth the paper they are printed on. And you still have not proven your categorical statement that "philosophy is evil." Are you now revising that statement to say" philosophy that does not agree with what I believe the bible to teach is evil...everything else is fine." Salsero PS - There are plenty of Christians WITHIN OUR LIFETIME who used the New Testament as a justification for racist dogma. I know. I grew up in such a community. Yet they were born again, faith-professing Christians.
6/23/06 9:33 AM
IndianaBrandon

And none of those threads were troll jobs that you posted Mo. I actually ended up buying that speed jiujitsu blue belt course. I have always been a big Baroni fan and was just pointing out a double standard. My boxing statement was made right after Lewis retired and I believed it at the time. The Karate thread was more of a joke, I wouldnt call it trolling. So I typed the F word twice since Ive been a member here. So Im not a Christian? Im a troll? I have probably typed less profanity than anybody here.
6/23/06 9:50 AM
IndianaBrandon

"PS - There are plenty of Christians WITHIN OUR LIFETIME who used the New Testament as a justification for racist dogma. I know. I grew up in such a community. Yet they were born again, faith-professing Christians." Christians can err by misinterpreting the text. But solid exegesis can eliminate that error. Salsero what about Nietzsche? He inspired Adolph Hitler to kill 6 million jews and sent the whole world in to a bloody world war. If that one example doesnt show a need to toss philosophy I dont know what does. Communism which murderded 60-80 million Russians was based on a philosophy as well,by Karl Marx. Mat 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. Mat 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Mat 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Mat 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. What is the fruit of philosophy? I say it has been bad.
6/23/06 10:32 AM
salsero

Brandon, You say Christians can err by misinterpreting text. Well, Hitler's use of Nietzche is a PRIME example of misinterpretation. If you read Nietzche, you would know that. Yes, Nietzche critiqued Jews in his writing at his times. But he also critiqued everybody equally! Moreover, he never called for a holocaust. And, his idea of the the "overman" was about the evolution of the human, not the lording of one group over another. You also won't have to look very far back in Christian thought to find a equal amount of Jewish critque. Nietzche wasn't alone in that regard. What about the wars that have been fought over Christians and "their" misinterpretations" of the Bible? Should we toss the Bible as well because it was misinterpreted? As far as Russia is concerned, you are confusing the economics of communist thought with the the totalitarian practices of Soviet leaders. The Soviet regime founders couldn't even agree upon how Marx should be interpreted. But once again, I ask you to look the roots of our society. Philsophical thought is the underpinning of many of our sacred ideals. Do you have kids? Required education for children is a philosophical concept. Do you have a job? Safe, controlled, working environments are a philosophical concept. Are you American? Are poltical system is based upon philosophical concepts. Do you worship as you please without the confines of a state religion? That freedom is a philosophical concept. You have yet to prove that philosophy is evil. What you have shown is that interpretation of the text - religious or secular - can lead to conflict. Once again I ask you: Are you now revising that statement to say" philosophy that does not agree with what I believe the bible to teach is evil...everything else is fine."
6/23/06 6:14 PM
Logic Rules

Col 2:8 See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. Philosophy is evil. There is not one book of philosophy worth the paper it is printed on. So if the Bible calls Philosophy evil, it must be true? Religionists rely on faith and biblical revelations, whereas Philosopher rely on rationalism and empiricism. So of course the Bible is going to attack rational thinking for obvious reasons. Pro 14:6 A scoffer seeks wisdom in vain, but knowledge is easy for a man of understanding. All knowledge comes from God. And without God damnation follows. That's one point of view. I'd say knowledge comes from observation and experimentaion (rationalism and science). No surprise why religionsts would attack demonize those things. Rom 1:21 For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. If Jehovah was real, and he worked miracles in people's lives, why would anyone reject him? That doesn't make sense. 1Co 1:20 Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? You want real wisdom read the Bible. How, praytell, did Jehovah "made foolish the wisdom of the world?" Psa 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever! Ah, but the NT says there is no fear in love.
6/24/06 7:12 AM
Indrek R.
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Jun-06
Christianity would have remained a small fishermen desert religion if it wasn´t for them stealing all the ideas of greek metaphysics.
6/24/06 3:26 PM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 24-Jun-06
did you accidently click on the wrong subforum Brandon? I think most here are not so impressed with quoting the bible to back up your argument.
6/30/06 10:16 PM
salsero

Edited: 30-Jun-06
Now I'm confused...Is Brandon making and subsequent abandoning of this thread an act of backsliding or repentance?
6/30/06 10:57 PM
IndianaBrandon

Edited: 30-Jun-06
I came like a prophet to speak against philosophy. I meant everything I posted, and the facts back me up. 2Co 7:8 For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season. 2Co 7:9 Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing. 2Co 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
7/1/06 12:42 AM
salsero

Edited: 01-Jul-06
Brandon, You've only shown that misinterpretations of both philosophical and religious texts can cause problems. You have yet to prove that philosophy is evil. I ask you again: Are you revising your position that "philosophy is evil" to "philosophy that does not agree with what I believe the bible to teach is evil...everything else is fine."
7/1/06 4:21 AM
Indrek R.
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Jul-06
LOL a calling biblical quotes FACTS LOL@ Brandon knowing anything about both christianity and philosophy If it wasn´t for this place (UG in general) I think I wouldn´t know such stupidity exists... really exists...
7/4/06 7:18 PM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

Edited: 04-Jul-06
And LOL at taking the bait!
7/4/06 7:40 PM
IndianaBrandon

Edited: 04-Jul-06
1Co 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. REPENT SINNERS! REPENT VIPERS! Philosophy is a wart on the ass of humanity. Hundreds of millions dead! A modern day tower of Babel. Mans attempt to reach heaven. 1Co 1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 1Co 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 1Co 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. Dont go insane like Nietzsche. Reach out to God and he will hear you.
7/9/06 5:08 PM
salsero

Edited: 09-Jul-06
"Dont go insane like Nietzsche. Reach out to God and he will hear you." Can't Christians go insane, Brandon?
7/9/06 5:43 PM
IndianaBrandon

"Can't Christians go insane, Brandon?" Insane for Lord, Praise God! Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
7/9/06 5:48 PM
IndianaBrandon

Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. Rom 8:35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? Rom 8:36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Rom 8:37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
7/9/06 7:57 PM
salsero

"Insane for Lord, Praise God" So christians are incapabale of mental illness, then. Just when I was beginning to think you not to be a troll...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.