7/3/11 7:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
chokeyou
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice work. Thanks for taking the time,
7/4/11 5:30 PM
Mullet @ Heart
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome seeing this thread surface again. I can't believe alpo posted it only 5 years ago. I've learned so much since then.

Are you still doing this all the same way, alpo? I'm to the point where I use for for my ribs, with some apple juice in the bottom of the foil, every time. I think it steams them to tenderness. This, after 1.5 hours on the grill with smoke.

Also, I notice in an early picture that you have the ribs on there, meaty-side-down. Do you still cook them that way? Do you flip them?
7/9/11 10:45 AM
Fly Rodder
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love this thread.

I did some ribs a couple of weekends ago in my Weber. They came out real nice, but I was having a helluva time with the temperature (250-350-490-335-165-350 ...) even with just using the top vent for control. Meh. First attempt at smoking this year. I'm more of a griller though. Smoking shit takes too long. I'm hungry nowwwwwwww.
7/13/11 6:10 PM
arclight
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
7/13/11 7:38 PM
CR1chard
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fly Rodder - I love this thread.

I did some ribs a couple of weekends ago in my Weber. They came out real nice, but I was having a helluva time with the temperature (250-350-490-335-165-350 ...) even with just using the top vent for control. Meh. First attempt at smoking this year. I'm more of a griller though. Smoking shit takes too long. I'm hungry nowwwwwwww.

I've rotisserie grilled babybacks before - obviously not as tender as smoked, but really tasty
8/21/11 2:39 AM
alpo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mullet @ Heart - Awesome seeing this thread surface again. I can't believe alpo posted it only 5 years ago. I've learned so much since then.

Are you still doing this all the same way, alpo? I'm to the point where I use for for my ribs, with some apple juice in the bottom of the foil, every time. I think it steams them to tenderness. This, after 1.5 hours on the grill with smoke.

Also, I notice in an early picture that you have the ribs on there, meaty-side-down. Do you still cook them that way? Do you flip them?

lol, no.. not even close.  I feel like I want to delete this thread and start over from scratch.  I have refined both methods significantly, especially the chili.  

As far as the ribs go, I usually par bake them for around 2 hours in the oven at 400 F, wrapped up, then two hours in the smoker, then I crisp them up on the gas grill with the BBQ sauce.  I find this gives the best balance of smoke, moisture and crispiness.  

As far as the chili goes, that's a whole other thread.  I am still a believer in smoking and cubing a hunk of beef, but my proportions are all off.  I've actually won a few local cookoffs with the recipe I've nailed down in the last 2-3 years.  Not state level competition or anything, but I've beaten out 200+ entries more than once.  

The recipes I've laid out here are fine, but, like you, I've evolved significantly in 5 years.  When I have the time, I'll post an update thread.  
8/21/11 2:40 AM
alpo

DSaint -  Alpo abandoned us.

Sorry, man, I only come on here like once a month now.  
8/21/11 3:06 AM
Mullet @ Heart
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

alpo - The recipes I've laid out here are fine, but, like you, I've evolved significantly in 5 years.  When I have the time, I'll post an update thread.

Amen, brotha! I can't count the number of cooking-related things I've posted on the OG that I wish I could take back. It's all in the name of progress, though. I'm thankful for what I've learned here.
6/10/12 3:07 AM
Mullet @ Heart

^ It was worth the wait.
6/22/12 12:39 AM
shootfightermike
700 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
1/15/13 2:06 AM
usurper
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
5/9/13 1:40 PM
slondeau
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is still one of my favorites threads. Found it in my subscriptions so TTT is alpo still posts here. :)

5/10/13 1:17 PM
GaryG
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alpo and Mullet spread joy and savory goodness wherever they go

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.