UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Squeeze dog's anal gland?

6/30/06 12:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hawkeyefan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Jun-06

My dog is limping. Has been for a while. I figured he pulled something or sprained it running outside. Some days it's very noticeable, some days not so much. I've waited to take him to the vet because I know all they will do is charge me $400 to take X-Rays and then tell me either he needs surgery that'll run $1500 or give me a prescription for pills that cost $15 a day. My wife has been giving him aspirin in his food which seems to help some, but maybe not. Anyway, my brother-in-law apparently had a similar problem with his dog. Took it to the vet. The vet squeezed some anal gland that was causing the dog's ass to hurt which caused it to limp. Now the brother-in-law regularly squeezes said gland for his pooch. My question is this...is this completely insane? Do other dog owners do this? If so, how is it done and do I need goggles in order to do it? The good news is, my wife is a nurse and I will pawn this job off on her if it needs to be done.
6/30/06 12:46 PM
Isaac298

yeah i dont touch my dogs ass, unless he wants it licked
6/30/06 12:47 PM
Ronald McDojo
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I made a thread about this a week or so ago. There was somr good info. on it. Go to the interesting (although it isn't) debate w/sis (frat) thread. There is a link there.
6/30/06 12:49 PM
Crush Crawfish
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just try to get your brother in law to squeeze your dog's anal gland too.
6/30/06 12:54 PM
Shawn C

WTF. My family had dogs the whole time I was growing up, and I never even knew they had ass glands until a few days ago. Now it's a necessity? I think these people just like playing with dog's butts. They probably give them a happy ending at those grooming places, too.
6/30/06 12:57 PM
Hawkeyefan

I haven't seen him scoot, but he has been licking his ass/hind leg area a little more often, it seems. Could these glands cause a limp?
6/30/06 12:57 PM
SyrioForel
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am usually having my vet drain the glands. Thanks.
6/30/06 1:01 PM
MikeZev
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dont give your dog aspirin, tylenol or advil. we did it for a while and told the vet and he said to ABORT IMMEDIATELY. well he didnt use those exact words but he did say it could be very bad for them. also i saw it on the fine living network too. ask the vet to milk the glands. it should be free with a visit, like nail clipping.
6/30/06 1:09 PM
MikeZev
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NICE!
6/30/06 1:15 PM
Shawn C

She should've gotten it neutered. Nasty, perverted bitch liked it too much to do that.
6/30/06 1:25 PM
cycklops
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you release their anal glands on your own, in the tub for example, I can't strees hard enough that you gotta wear rubber gloves and keep your face away from any spray coming from odd angles. If that juice gets on you it lingers and lingers. Don't get it on your clothes either let alone skin. It's just raunchy.
6/30/06 2:33 PM
alley
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You sound like a total tightwad. Get the vet to do it whenever you go for the 6-month checkup. Or are you too cheap for checkups?
6/30/06 2:36 PM
Hawkeyefan

Yes, my dog has yearly check-ups in January. I've also spent more on vet bills than probably 95% of pet owners. For this one dog, I spent over $3K in vet bills before he was 9 months old. At the vet I go to he is known as the "Miracle Dog". He was about as close to death as a dog can be. But I know the game they play...Hey, let's just take some X-rays & bloodwork. 20 minutes later I'm shelling out $500 and have no answers or an answer that it'll be another grand to fix.
6/30/06 2:40 PM
eviladam
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

don't bother doing the anal gland thing at home. pay someone else to do that job. my dog had problems after eating several whole cobs of corn, the vet did her glands and it was worth the cost of the vet to not be involved with that stinky fuckin shit.
6/30/06 6:01 PM
Mark1

If my dog's ass glands are infected, I will just give him away. I'd much rather buy a replacement dog than squeeze his anus juice out. Mark
6/30/06 6:12 PM
CarlClendenin

I'm a vet and here's my advice: Aspirin is a good thing for a dog. The person who said it wasn't earlier probably doesn't know. It's a very good temporary pain reliever. HOWEVER - it can and will hide the pain in the leg (if it is a sprain for example) causing the dog to have a false sense of security on the leg, and do something stupid like run and jump, causing for a lingering pain in the leg. In this case, I would skip the aspirin. And make SURE it's aspirin and not tylenol or anything else. Take the fucking dog to the vet. We check the whole limb on the dog, everytime. From tendons to toe nails. If it is tendons or something serious, it should be looked at anyway. The anal glands being expressed is free as long as you are there for some other reasons. If not, expressed anal glands run 10-20 bucks max. It can cause a dog to limp, but in reality it usually ends up scooting it's butt across the ground. He should tell you to keep the dog on rest for 2 weeks, and not to give it aspirin (IE: hiding the pain, then re-injuring it.). Also look for puss pockets or other "crap" between the toes. Also keep in mind that it could be something simple like landing wrong jumping off of the couch or bed. Your total visit, not including the X-Rays should be under 80 bucks (30 for the office call, 20 for anal glands if they charge, as well as any pres. meds.) For X-Rays add an additional 80 bucks or so for 2 views. Also - how old is the dog?
6/30/06 6:13 PM
Ridgeback

Anal gland issues vary from dog to dog. Some have a chronic problem and some never have a problem their whole life. Don't medicate your dog without advice from the vet. While humans can take pretty much any dog medication safely the reverse is not true. Even if a particular medication is safe giving a human dose can be very dangerous. If you feel like your current vet is ripping you off switch vets. I help my wife with her emergency calls and watch her try to do all she can for dogs and cats within the budget contraints of each owner. I have never seen her do a single procedure without first discussing price with the owner and getting their permission. Sometimes she does freebies just so the animal can suffer less because the owners are either too cheap or too poor to be owning animals at all. Then she gets in trouble with the boss for not charging enough. Do some vets rip off their clients? Probably, but I have never met a wealthy vet in my life and I have met many vets. More often than not the vet is going over and above the call of duty for the sake of the animal while battling with bad owners with ungrateful attitudes. If you have already decided that the vet is going to rip you off only your animal is going to suffer. If you can't afford the medical care don't own pets.
6/30/06 6:14 PM
CarlClendenin

Lastly - don't take it to an animal "hospital" or emergency clinic. Go and establish a regular vet clinic, not only are they more personable but they also charge far less than 1500 dollars for a surgery. The most you're looking at is an ACL surgery. (~$600 - $800)
6/30/06 6:17 PM
samichlaus
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ya know, I've been waiting for a "Squeeze Dog the Bounty Hunter's Anal Glands" spin all morning.
6/30/06 6:20 PM
meow mix
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i suggest not standing behind someone when they're doing anal glands, wear a full body suit, and use a clothespin... cycklops is right.. it just lingers and lingers..
6/30/06 6:28 PM
CarlClendenin

If the dog is older and simple use of glucosamine could be the end all. It is, afterall, a come and go type of problem. Waiting on the age.. Also ridgeback's post is on the money.
6/30/06 6:45 PM
pm1964
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okay....I've never heard of this anal gland thing, and I've owned dogs my entire life. My dog, a terrier mix, occasionally butt scoots on the carpet. I just laugh at him and say "niiccee buttscoot my frien," like he's a jui jitsu guy. I'm supposed to be squeezing his ass you say?!?
6/30/06 6:46 PM
samichlaus
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/30/06 10:57 PM
Hawkeyefan

Carl, Thanks for the reply. My dog is 3 1/2. He's 3/4 mastiff, 1/4 rott. He will limp around the house, especially it seems when he gets up from laying down for a while. But then he'll go outside, run in the backyard and look fine, then come back in and limp. This has been going on for a couple of weeks or so. Also, FYI, the reason he almost died previously was because he was diagnosed (FINALLY) with Cat Scratch Fever. I kid you not. He was having seizures and losing weight when he had normally been gaining around 10-12 pounds a month. The vet I go to is very respected and has been in business here for 30+ years. My dog had lymph nodes removed and looked at, he had numerous blood draws, etc. He was young & strong enough to hang on until my vet talked to a vet at NC State Univ. who told him the correct medicine (can't remember what it was). A day after taking that medicine Butkus did a 180.
7/1/06 3:58 AM
mrarmbar2you

Edited: 01-Jul-06
I stopped reading after CheshireCatGrin's post (2nd post i think). I take my dog into the vet about once a month or so to have this done. 20 bucks a pop, and it's worth it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.