Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Jul-06
ROTFLMFAO@`Happy ending`...
7/1/06 11:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CarlClendenin

OK, it sounds like he heals the "sprain" and goes and gets wild in the back yard after a ball/squirrel/etc. and re-injures it. He is a big dog, afterall. No aspirin or any pain meds for 2 weeks so he doesn't get that false sense that his leg is OK, then gets hurt again. Keep him quiet, keep him in the house as much as possible, and no jumping. As quiet as possible. Good luck.
7/1/06 12:09 PM
StephenL

that's why you need to shoot your dog like they do horses if they injure their feet. there are many employers and insurers that offer pet health care. http://www.petinsurance.com/ i had to ask my former vet for a brochure as they kept them under the counter. not sure why. not having health insurance makes a lot of owners put their pets down. to the dude with the anal glanded beemer. that's funny. if humans had that type of power. stephen
7/4/06 4:18 PM
Ridgeback

Edited: 04-Jul-06
Pet insurance is not a good thing for vet medicine. It will artificially jack up prices just like it has for human medicine. Vet medicine is a study in frugality when it comes to keeping medical costs, many of which are similiar to human medicine procedures, way down. I can't go to my doctor's office and get x-rays and blood work done on the spot for a couple hundred bucks (it would be more like a thousand) in the same visit. Just keep some money in a bank account for emergencies or at least have a credit card that isn't maxed out and you should be fine. The vast majority of emergencies are below $1000. Honestly if you can't come up with a grand in an pinch you need to do something about your finances.
7/4/06 4:27 PM
Willis

My girlfriend has cats and one of her cats had this problem as well. She took it to the vet and of course all the scooting was the anal gland thing. My girlfriend said she switched her cats to the raw diet a few years back and she feeds them raw chicken. She said the chicken bones will prevent this because when they shit the bones will rub the gland on its own and releive the pressure.
7/4/06 4:49 PM
Uncle Alex
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark1 has the right idea.
7/4/06 10:01 PM
PainIsPleasure

I'm glad I don't have a dog..they're cool and all but fuck diddling it's ass...lol
7/19/06 7:22 PM
Willis

Edited: 19-Jul-06
yeah the dog can handle the bones, its just a matter of them getting used to it. Her cats never liked it at first now they crack bones like its there job now. My girlfriend feeds them wings and chicken backs.
7/19/06 8:11 PM
wizbang
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Jul-06
So who is changing their screen name to "anal gland"? Come on somebody has to do it.
7/28/06 8:39 AM
Jay-dog

Edited: 28-Jul-06
I would'nt say it is necessary for most dogs but some actually have problems if it is'nt done regularly.I think it is another genetic default caused by breeding so strictly for conformation instead of health by the kennel clubs.
8/5/06 1:43 PM
vermonter
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Aug-06
A friend of mine's pure Mastiff tore his ACL. Shitty that its so expensive.
8/5/06 1:43 PM
vermonter
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Aug-06 03:01 PM
X2
8/8/06 4:46 PM
CarlClendenin

Edited: 08-Aug-06
Jay-Dog, wrong. Vermonter - expensive, yes. Over $500, no. Don't go to a "animal hospital." Go to a regular vet clinic accepting new clients.
8/8/06 4:51 PM
Hawkeyefan

Edited: 08-Aug-06
Actually, I called about 6 different vets...some as far away as 45 miles. None would touch my dog's cruciate ligament because of his size. They all would refer me to Iowa State. The vet I have always taken him to happens to specialize in orthopedics and he did the surgery. The procedure itself was $500 but when you add in pain medication, overnight stay, anesthesiology (sp?), etc. it came out around $1500. The surgery was about 10 days ago. He's in recovery now, taking it easy.
8/10/06 3:17 PM
vermonter

Edited: 10-Aug-06
Carl, Assuming a regular vet clinic would do it, would the quality be as good? This is a purebred all black mastiff. I think they want the best possible treatment, but if the cheaper stuff is of equal quality i'd like to let them know. hawkeyefan, Hope your dog is doing well. -doug-
8/14/06 9:43 PM
Morgz
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Aug-06
LOL again @ "happy ending" If you are not a vet, do not do this. Do not give your dog asprin. Take your dog to the vet. If you think your vet is ripping you off, find another vet.
8/15/06 8:45 AM
Hawkeyefan

Edited: 15-Aug-06
My vet has told me that giving regular aspirin is fine. He's been a vet for 33 years or something, I think I'll take his word for it. My dog is doing good...the biggest hurdle is to keep him mellow. He wants to run up the stairs, run outside, etc. I can tell he's putting a lot of pressure on his good leg while the fixed one is still sore, which is what leads to them blowing the other knee out. It's hard to keep him from putting a lot of pressure on the good knee. But he seems to be getting stronger and is happy.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.