UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Steak Rub or Marinade??

7/7/06 1:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
slondeau
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Jul-06

What do you usually do? I usually just put a lil A-1 and some Montreal steak seasoning on it and toss it on the grill.. Help me. :)
7/7/06 2:56 PM
CR1chard
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a little vegetable oil and montreal steak seasoning, or just smoked salt and pepper.

7/7/06 6:52 PM
Zoso
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Per a recommendation here. Equal parts kosher salt, brown sugar, and fresh cracker black pepper. Let the steak get to room temperature, rub the steak with olive oil and rub it with the mixture. Let it set about 15 minutes and grill over the hottest temperature you can find.
7/7/06 7:01 PM
Mullet @ Heart
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grill Creation's Peppercorn Marinade. Haven't had a steak any other way since I tried this stuff.
7/7/06 8:18 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Generaly I never cook meat without garlic powder, salt & pepper. Finishing it with roasted garlic butter would be good too! M@H... sounds interesting... what do you think is in the marinade... what kind of liquid do you add to the mix? -Kev
7/7/06 8:48 PM
Mullet @ Heart
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You add vinegar. The marinade has a very strong peppercorn flavor. Don't exceed the 15-minute recommendation. That and Dale's are the only two marinades I've ever said that about. It's in all our local grocery stores. I think it's a Durkee product.
7/9/06 8:49 PM
alpo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Jul-06
Any purist will laugh at you for using a rub (other than salt and pepper) or a marinade, but I think there can cartainly be some fun in using variations, at the very least, for variety's sake. The one recommendation I will give you is to keep it simple. The reason you are eating steak is to pay homage to the flavor of beef. If you add so many ingredients or marinate so long that you detract from the flavor of the beef, then you are missing the point. Rubs should be less than 5 ingredients and marinades should be less than 20 minutes, IMO. Any more than that and you are only robbing yourself.
7/11/06 11:03 AM
Boa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Jul-06
Have to go with alpo, but go nuts. I usually use salt, pepper, dry onions, and garlic powder.
7/11/06 11:10 AM
Mullet @ Heart

Fuck the purists, imo. You should only stick with salt and pepper if it simply tastes the best to you that way. If hot fudge on a steak is the way you like it, go for it.
7/11/06 12:52 PM
Boa

Eat steak the way you want it. Heck even put ketchup on it, just not in Texas please. :-)
7/11/06 1:03 PM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good Steak Kosher salt, Cracked pepper, small amount of crushed fresh garlic. Cook each side shortly on extremely hot fire. Very Good steak: Might want to get rid of garlic
7/11/06 1:11 PM
bigwilly

i agree with those that keep it simple, i think many a great steakhouse swear by just salt and pepper, the american palate is receptive to this, how many here like a big pad of butter on top of your steak before serving?
7/11/06 2:48 PM
Boa

No butter, chipotle sauce, or blue cheese. Just meat and seasoning.
7/11/06 3:14 PM
Mullet @ Heart

Don't most steak houses use butter while cooking? I know the big chains (Outback, Lonestar, etc.) do. I just assumed they stole that from the smaller steakhouses.
7/11/06 4:19 PM
MikeZev
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ruth's chris = butter morton's = no butter peter luger = butter
7/11/06 4:25 PM
alpo

Seems like half the places around here use it. I'm not a fan.
7/11/06 4:31 PM
Mullet @ Heart

Peter Luger is THE name in steak. If they use it, it's definitely acceptable. It's also pretty common to use olive oil. With either, the low smoke point seems to accelerate the searing process, helps seasoning stick to the steak, and helps keep the steak from sticking to the grill. Not a bad idea, but I very rarely do it.
7/11/06 4:38 PM
alpo

I use olive oil sometimes.. I just stay away from butter in general.
7/11/06 5:57 PM
Mullet @ Heart

I don't usually use anything. My grill gets plenty hot for searing. If I need help getting seasings to stick to the meat, I'll lightly press it on with some wax paper.
7/14/06 9:47 PM
robs42

Edited: 14-Jul-06
balsamic vinigar
7/14/06 10:28 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Jul-06
Butter = nectar of the gods
7/15/06 10:30 PM
Kevin Curtis

Edited: 15-Jul-06
I don't think I got the "right" (i.e. - the one we were talking about) marinade... but I used the McCormick Black Pepper & Garlic marinade on a top round tonight. I mixed the packet with water, olive oil, and wine vinegar and grilled the steak... it wasn't half bad. A little tough, but none-the-less it was a big hit with my teen age son... got good reviews form the rest of the family too! -Kev
7/16/06 4:52 PM
poopyhead

Edited: 16-Jul-06
If I have good, tender meat, I like to let the meat reach room temperature, rub with garlic, salt and pepper, grill to medium rare over very hot fire, finish with a little good olive oil. If you use T-bones, I think this would be Florentine-style steak. Another good option is make a sauce (beurre rouge is awesome). Just simmer shallots, red wine, red wine vinegar down to a syrup and enrich with butter at the last minute, then spoon on the steak. Marcella Hazan (sp?) says don't put olive oil on before you grill, because it will burn and impart a rancid flavor. She also says that you shouldn't garlic it up, you just want a little garlic flavor. Now, for flank steak, top round, etc, I like to get out the strong marinades.
7/18/06 7:46 PM
Extendo
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Jul-06
I was a salt and pepper purist for years. Then I tried dried rubs, and stuck largely to those for the last few years. The other night I tried a marinade by mistake. I was doing up some chicken for my girlfriend and just slopped some in the baggie with the steak. I was cursing at my stupidity, but damn if it didn't turn out to be one of the tastiest steaks I've ever eaten. From now on, I'm just going with whatever feels right.
11/6/07 12:32 PM
slondeau
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Nov-07 12:50 PM

I got this recipe out of Weber's big book of grilling.. or something like that...

NY Strip steaks.. just some fresh ground pepper on it before throwing it on the grill..

After it comes off, you add a little blob of this concoction: It's grilled garlic (why is the proper name escaping me!???) mixed with a lil Worch. sauce, and butter. Basically its a garlic butter. OMG HOLY HELL was it GOOD!!! Best steak I ever made! Ever since.. I've only used fresh ground pepper on my steaks before throwing them on the grill. Even without the garlic butter, its heaven!!  next time I make it I'll post the recipe, as I'm @ work and dont ahve it.. I'll take pics of the beautiful steaks and a lil tutorial. Won't be as awesome as mullet or alpo I'm sure, but if 1 person gets something out of it, that's great!

oh and you rub a little olive oil on the steak too.. i almost always forget that, but it doesn't really matter

Damn I want to make that right now!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.