UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Kendo in NYC

7/7/06 3:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
khd29
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Jul-06

I am looking into joining a Kendo/Iaido Club. Does anyone recommend a place to study in NYC? I saw one but it is in the East Side on the 70's. Too long a commute back home to Brooklyn. Seemed like a real good school, too. There are 2 that seem to be ok- 14 Street and the other on Thomas St. Any info on these schools?
7/7/06 5:20 PM
sta94

yo khd29, let me ask my buddy. he's a nidan in kendo and testing soon for his sandan. he has trained at all the NYC and NJ kendo/kumdo places. the thomas street dojo is KenZen - my friend started there - it's a few blocks south of Oishi's. The one in the east 70s is NYC Kendo, I hear it's a good school. I believe Shidogakuin has a good rep. as well - I think that's the one on 14 street.
7/7/06 6:56 PM
khd29

What's up, sta?! Damn, haven't seen you since NY Open. Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to what your friend has to say about Kendo/Iaido. I believe the Iaido classes is a separate. Can you ask your friend if it is necessary for me to study Iaido, too? Having trouble finding the site for that one in 14th Street. I called them up last year but wasn't really serious about it then. Thanks again, bro.
7/8/06 5:46 PM
dennis5
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Jul-06
ttt for info!
7/10/06 12:32 PM
sta94

Edited: 10-Jul-06
naah, no need to learn iaido for kendo. iaido is usually taught separately - many kendo guys do it as well, but quite a few iaido guys train in iaido solely, without training in kendo. besides the iaido taught in kendo dojos, there are several other places that teach iaido only. anyways, on to kendo, here's what my friend recommended: KENSHINKAI - 54 street (bet. B'way & 8 ave), the sensei, Kishino, is a young guy, supposed to be really good ("the best around," my friend said) and they train their beginners really well. http://www.kenshin-kai.com/ SHIDOGAKUIN - 43rd Street (bet. 2 & 3 ave), really good as well: http://www.kendoka.org/index.html KENZEN - thomas street, Tribeca. the sensei, Ebihara, is a cool, funny guy, former judoka (has the cauliflower ears to prove it!) LOTS of beginners here - advantages + disadvantages. http://members.aol.com/kenzeninst/ My friend didn't know about the 14th street place (my bad, I thought it was shidogakuin. i've seen the place, it's on the 2nd floor, right?) If given a choice my friend said he'd go for Kenshinkai. Best of luck!
7/11/06 10:05 AM
khd29

Edited: 11-Jul-06
Cool. Just signed up with the Kyokushin guys where your cousin trains/trained. Will check out Kenshinkai since its near work. Thanks, man. Off topic: I heard Oishi got promoted to 7th Dan. Will drop by the dojo and give him a present. Any news about relocating?
7/11/06 10:49 AM
sta94

Edited: 11-Jul-06
awesome!!! I left a message about your karate question on the other forum. Man, you'll be training at two of the top places for kyokushin and kendo in NYC! My cousin dropped out some time ago, the lazy bum! I've been encouraging him to restart, let's see ... You'll probably run into my friend at kenshinkai sooner or later. I'd overheard people talking about Oishi being up for 7th dan, haven't been to class for several weeks now, so don't know for sure, also haven't heard anything new about relocating.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.