UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> De-fanging the Snake

9/8/02 11:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
raptor_prime
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Sep-02

There's been a lot of questions about fighting wrestlers and jujitsu people in the past. Jujitsu is still a popular martial art, and I see lots of people advertising different styles of jujitsu or Tapout gear on their vehicles, so the odds of coming into contact with someone who has trained in this style is fairly good. That being said, IF you were unable to do a verbal diffuse and IF somehow the guy got on you and attempted to jujitsu you, I was wondering what you all thought about the tactic of trying to break the fingers if the opportunity arises? In essence the jujitsu player needs his fingers (or "fangs" as the metaphor goes) to grip his prey before he can wrap himself around them and do damage. In theory if he is unable to get a good grip, his techniques are greatly reduced which gives you a greater advantage, particularly if you are not very good on the ground. Just throwing it out there.
9/9/02 1:08 AM
ironmongoose

Edited: 09-Sep-02
Actually, that strategy was discussed in detail on the videotape "How To Beat A Grappler: Volume 1". See ya.
9/26/02 6:22 PM
Dark Knight
400 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Sep-02 06:36 PM
Ground fighting is a small part of Ju-Jitsu (not BJJ or GJJ). There are more people doing JJJ than specializing on the ground work. You will find a well trained Ju-Jitsuka is about 80% stand up fighting. They train in striking and trapping alot. Dont let a style name dictate how you will approach them. Be prepared to fight many diffent ways.
9/27/02 7:39 PM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 27-Sep-02
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
GOOD POINT DARK NIGHT and thank IronM, we have always addressed brekking digits when necessary. Having said that, the original question being about the grappler and his grip, yes we've considered it, played with it, trained it. Its viable and doable. For standup problems, well, if you break the metacarpals, punching ability is greatly reduced as well. :-) Tony
9/27/02 10:14 PM
LEMon
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Sep-02
Last night i watched a BJJ purple belt have his finger dislocated 3 times and kept fighting coz of the adreniline
9/28/02 6:06 PM
AlbertaPDR

Edited: 28-Sep-02
Raptor prime, This is a question that I have dealt with many times with my students. Most people in the martial art community have been exposed to jujutsu or some other forms of grappling. One thing to consider when engaging in a physical confrontation with a motivated and "trained" assailant is that " the fight is only over when your opponent loses the will to resist" ---TCMS maxim. Attacking the hands and fingers is a very viable tactic in the fight, but like LEMon stated your attacker can still continue on. This message re-enforces the fact that you must not fixate on one tool, tactic or target, regardless of the particular range of combat you find yourself in. The scenario will always dicate...the players, the environment and the circumstances. Consider this. 1) Do more than your opponent 2) Know more than your opponent 3) Have more than your opponent 4) Think more than your opponent 5) Want more than your opponent If your attacker does not emotionally and psychologically shut down from a finger break he is highly motivated and means business.....so you must make you tactics and strategies meaner. I hope this helps. Robb Finlayson, PDR Team www.tonyblauer.com

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.