Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lynn@Renzos
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Jul-06
asymmetrik is correct
7/12/06 6:36 PM
BarkLikeADog
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Jul-06
My best suggestion is to start with a camera that works well in low light conditions. The club owner/manager/patrons don't want you there shining light where it's not supposed to be. + the ambience of the club is presumably why you want to shoot there in the first place, so why wreck it by effectively turning on the house lights? Can't tell you how many shoots I've seen ruined by guys that either A. TV news crew setup with great camera & WAAAAAY too much light, or B. Cheapie GL-1 or lesser camera set up in the back of the room with a camera-mounted light or none at all. If you can't get access to a camera that can resolve delicate lighting, generally the right way to do it is to shoot the talent with the venue closed & the house lights up, & just shoot close ups/reverses with your mounted light on the day of.
7/13/06 1:17 AM
GonzoPhD

Edited: 13-Jul-06
Rebel Spirit Studios
barklikeadog is incorrect it's not like I'm shooting at the Roxy, if I was I would not be having lighting probrlems because there would be a lighting tech
7/13/06 6:00 PM
BarkLikeADog
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Jul-06
I realize if you were shooting in some place that had a lighting tech you wouldn't have as many problems. It's just that most clubs, you shine a light in there & you see the hardened puke on the walls or the three inches of fog juice-laden dust on the DJ's cabling or whatever else you don't really want to see, & so it's imperative that you have a camera that works for the job at hand. I'm trying to help you out here. Whatever.
7/19/06 12:53 AM
SatanJR

Edited: 19-Jul-06
I have shot at the roxy and the lighting tech does you no good. I have shot a ton of concerts and the best tip I have is to get really familiar with your manual settings on your camera.
7/19/06 2:25 PM
asymmetrik

Edited: 19-Jul-06
ok... i've done a number of live shows and while i did recommend the lite panels, i only did so because you specifically asked for an on camera light. lite panels are incredible because they're balanced, have decent throw, produce no heat and can be battery operated. however unless you're doing portraits/closeups, and using it as frontal fill or an eye light, your area of coverage isn't going to be too great. generally, most places you're going to be shooting in will have par cans for the stage and the best thing you can do is scout the location early and focus those cans where you want them. then is also a good time to gel them to the color(s) you want them to be and get familiar with the dimmer board/have a conversation with the board operator or bring along an assistant to run the board for you if you're allowed. from my experience, the HVX doesn't operate too too well in low light situations (i'd guess it has an effective iso of about 200), so you might want to bring up the ambient light/overall fill so you've got a base level of exposure. depending on your budget you can rent some kinoflo diva lights which have dimmable ballasts, and place them on either side of the stage just outside of frame or even better, clamp them to the grid (if there is one, and have an even level of spread. if kinos are too expensive to rent in your area, also check out gyoris which are made in la and are also dimmable flouros. if gyoris are too expensive, get a 500W photoflood bulb, a ceramic socket that will take a 500W bulb and a household dimmer that will take 500W. rig together a chinaball and tape/clamp/screw it to the ceiling. skirt the side of the ball that faces the audience with flame retardant cloth (commando cloth or duvatyne is made specifically for this) and dim it down to the base level of exposure. (you can get all these things for the chinaball and the Home Depot except for the duvatyne) scouting and preplanning/prelighting is the key.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.