UnderGround Forums

TravelGround >> Ever been to Singapore?

7/11/06 11:03 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CR1chard
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Jul-06

I heard it's supposed to be one of the cleanest cities in the World, and crime rate is crazy low because laws are so strict. I am thinking of going there in the next year or two - airfare and a 4-star hotel will cost me less than my friggin' week at Disney this year.

Anyone ever been there?

7/13/06 11:29 PM
Joe Lauzon
801 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Jul-06
JoeLauzon.com
Biggie... Its thailand where you fuck little boys, not singapore (or so I've heard)
10/12/06 10:56 AM
bjung
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Oct-06
Singapore is like a big airconditioned mall. it's nice for three days, then it's monotonous. yes, it's clean, green, it's like living in simcity.. nice people, diverse society, but eh government.. the plus is that it's a really good regional hub and you can take really good vacations out of singapore if you get bored of it... i think if you meet someone there who knows where the fun is, then it could be good times..
1/7/07 5:36 PM
rare
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Jan-07
hmmmm.. its fucking expensive, the cops are all undercover, so dont even think about fucking around. aviod the bars at orchid towers, seeing as how 2 of the 4 floor of whores is filled with transvestites. but... shopping is insane! the people are nice, and its extremely safe. if your looking for fun just ask some of the locals, or anything in particular, i seem to find myself in singapore once every two years... blah, i hate work!
2/29/08 3:01 AM
PAPA ROACH1
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Feb-08
club zook is the way to go best club ive ever been to.
2/29/08 11:58 AM
Amanojaku
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Feb-08
It's a police state alright. If ure coming over,ill wait for u at the airport with my UG shirt and we can talk MMeh.
9/25/08 2:40 PM
shen
822 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/25/08 4:12 PM
"Police state" ? No.

I've been in countries that were true police states, and Singapore just isn't.

Overall Singapore's great! Very underrated.

I spent 3 weeks there with a friend & his wife who teach at N.U.S. (The main University).

IMO, it has THE best food in Asia.

I talked to some cops, just for directions, and they were really helpful, friendly. The popular American idea of what Singapore is like is B.S..

Yes, it was VERY clean, very convenient and very easy to get around. Also oddly relaxing; no criminals or "tough guys" sizing you up. You don't have to be "on guard" like many other places.

Every member of the U.S. congress should take a trip to Singapore to see how you run a city; the trains & taxis are great & cheap.

I probably just saw & did the best stuff because I was there with locals, but I had a great time.

It can't compare to Vietnam, Thailand or most other Countries in the general region as far as things like architecture & beauty.
That is really the weak part of the city.
11/30/08 4:14 PM
Matthew Crispy

Edited: 11/30/08 5:46 PM
It is a police state- a benevolent dictatorship. It is democratic in name only. For the last presidential election there was only one candidate. To be nominated you have to have been CEO of a company with a capital of S$100m or more. The media is controlled by the government. Open criticism of leaders in parliament has led to defamation of character cases against the speakers. There are no jury trials. Dont forget the ridiculous laws.The reason things run so efficiently is because they have an army of low paid badly-unionised Indian slaves to do everything. Unions for ordinary people are shit also. And the atmosphere sucks. Big brother is watching you. It's all business, business, how much do you have?...$$$$$
9/10/09 11:15 PM
Captain Redbeard

Fuck Singapore...empty...vapid...the worst of America...a tight-ass country club. I don't know where the best food in Asia is because I haven't been to every country in Asia...but I have been to a number and their is better food elsewhere. It lacks all the charm of China/Vietnam/Cambodia/Malaysia/India/Japan. thank you
9/19/09 12:21 AM
kimohapa

I lve Singapore, I have been there 9 times and learn more and more the good places to go each time. If you are military or have access to bases the Terror club is the best and cheapest place to pre- flight before going out. It is expensive and after 3 or 4 days you will be over it. As for an example of how a city should be run I agree.
10/20/10 9:41 AM
Sastan
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Singapore, lived there for 3 years when I was a kid, and I've gone there every year for the last few years.

Like everyone says, clean city, lots of shopping. Also has the best food in Asia IMO, just so many cultures fused together, and lots of unique dishes thanks to that fusion. Of course, sticking to the tourist spots will limit what you see, as is obviously the case with most people posting in this thread.

When you get a chance, head over to an area called Geylang. Geylang Road is a massive road full of the best eateries in Singapore, probably a few hundred Chinese, Indian, Malay and Indonesian eateries, both cheap and expensive. It is a filthy place though, reminded me of India to some extent.

Also, if you head there after dark, it becomes a red light district full of illegal street hookers, legal brothels, illegal streetside gambling joints etc. If you want to see the seedy side of Singapore, Geylang after dark is where it's at.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.